New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
“Toe curling cupcakes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

I am not a big cupcake fan and after many wonderful meals in this town, I was not enthusiastic about going here. I am so glad I did not miss this and their signature Mad Hatter cupcake is well deserved. I am wondering if they ship these delectable delights.

Visited July 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

New York City, New York
“I'll Try One More Time...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

Our visit was brief. My Wife and I had gone to Broadway to buy some bread at Portobello's that, sadly, is gone. This place caught our eye. We bought a chocolate chip cookie, a raisin square ("It was my aunt's recipe") and an almond croissant. We didn't try the cupcakes...if I had seen these reviews before the visit, we would have. The chocolate chip cookie was nothing special and it tasted like it wasn't made with butter. The raisin square was good but, again, the pastry tasted like it wasn't made with butter. The almond croissant wasn't; it turned out to be a plain croissant. Same story. What really turned me off was the woman behind the counter who was obviously the owner. I would describe her as being imperious. Not a good attribute for a retailer. To top it off, we were treated as if we were disturbing her and, after I paid, there was no "thank you." Just, "Here ya' go." This is one of my pet peeves. Poor, poor manners. Maybe she was short on staff? Maybe she had a fight with her husband? I don't know and don't care. She shouldn't take it out on her customers. One more try.

• Visited July 2012
4 Thank Bins2
Massachusetts
“super cupcakes!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Read about the great cakes at the bakery but always missed them being open. Got to sample their cupcakes this weekend. Loved the Mad Hatter- chocolate cake/chocolate butter cream frosting and dipped in chocolate, mocha frosting/cake were our favorites. Owner/baker was very friendly and able to talk to us for a bit and were very personable. Glad we don't live too close, we'd gain 25 pounds in a week!

Visited June 2012
Ansonia, Connecticut
“CUPCAKE HEAVEN!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

We stopped here after having a less than stellar breakfast at the Corner Cafe, but the Mad Hatter bakery, with it's delicious blueberry scones, toffee brownies and to-die-for choc peanut butter cupcakes, made everything better, and our walk up Broadway so worthwhile!! We've put it on our "places not to miss list" when in Newport.

New Jersey, United States
“Awesome cupcakes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

The baked goods here are absolutely amazing. The cupcakes are moist and flavourful, and the staff are incredibly friendly. We went back twice during our short visit to the area just to restock on the cupcakes. We also sampled the cookies, which were also delicious! There wasn't a single thing in the shop that I didn't want to try, or didn't like. If you are visiting or around Newport and want something tasty, this is definitely the place to go.

• Visited March 2012