“A New Year's Eve to remember”

Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House
Ranked #38 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
“A New Year's Eve to remember”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

My husband and I participated in a murder mystery weekend at The Architects Inn. It's a lovely, historic inn in the heart of Newport. The innkeepers could not have been more helpful, and the actor's really got into their parts for this 1920's theme. There was a lot of advance preparation in developing characters for each of the guests, and it was so much fun to be someone who was a lot like myself, but with a twist. The height of the weekend, of course, was finding out "whodunnit". I was informed before the dinner of inquisition that the murderer was me!!!
I had great fun coming up with a confession and a motive between courses of a delicious meal. My husband totally enjoyed the experience, too, and we plan to go back for another murder mystery weekend before the year is out. We never go anywhere for New Year's Eve, but we ended up celebrating all weekend, having fun without much alcohol involved, making friends with the other guests, and straight to bed after dinner--no need to be driving on the roadways.We highly recommend it!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joy38
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New Jersey
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I can't rave enough in the space provided. Nick and his partner run this B&B as well as another in town, just the two of them! One might think there is no way the two of them can pay enough attention to all the guests needs, but trust me, it is possible. Nick is usually front and center while his partner is the master, let me say it again, MASTER chef. The Architects Inn is a mansion, in itself. You are asked to remove your shoes upon entry. It's also a home. You are responsible for locking and unlocking the door on your own as well as being able to enjoy the entire downstairs area full of antiques and family pictures. Nick was so amazingly helpful with touring Newport and aiming us in the right direction based on our interests while we enjoyed the breakfast each morning. The location seems a little tucked away, and it is, but really it's a perfect location. My fiance were able to walk into town and back a few times without a struggle but also chose to drive around quite a bit as well.

Room Tip: If you are tall, ask to avoid the attic room because it is a peaked roof that slants down toward the...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jherz
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I can't say enough good things about my recent stay at the Architect's Inn. We had a delightful time participating in one of their Murder Mystery weekends. The house is a beautiful Victorian mansion with loads of charm. We opted to stay in separate rooms (which was similar in cost to staying together in one of the nicer rooms but put us in the attic). Our rooms were adorable, with pretty decorations and charming sloped ceilings. For an older house, it was very quiet. I never heard my neighbors and the house was full. The only reason I rated my night's sleep lower was because my room was very chilly (remember, old house!). The space heater did a fair job of keeping things warm but next time, I'll heed Nick's instructions and bring flannel pajamas.
The Murder Mystery was a BLAST! I was afraid that it might be difficult to get into my part (not a natural actress) but the actors are so phenominal and the cues so easy to follow that within an hour, I think I actually believed that I was an antiques dealer! The story and characters were well-thought out and engaging. And would you believe it, I actually hijacked the storyline and thinking my cue card instructed me to steal an artifact, I actually stole a crucial prop! I caused the actors to re-write the entire script to deal with my blunder and they did it masterfully!
The game was so fun, I felt like a child all weekend! At the conclusion of the who-dun-it, the guests, actors and innkeepers all laughed like old friends over the many hillarious moments of the weekend.
I would highly recommend the inn, the mystery weekend and the company!

Room Tip: The attic rooms were a nice value (cozy and charming) but if you're looking for grandeur, go for...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth W
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Had a great time. Our room was very comfortable. The mystery was fun and the actors did a great job. Everyone was friendly and the slippers rule was very nice for my feet!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank CMyHerr
New Jersey
Reviewed 16 November 2011

My husband & I spent two nights at the Inn this past week. Our hosts Nick & Brian were awesome, knew lots about the area, things to do, places to see, where to eat, etc. Our room had a working fireplace that was so nice to relax by.The common areas are cozy & comfortable. In a few weeks those fireplaces will be going too! Breakfasts were delish & presentation was impressive! Nice job, Brian! We spent quite a while just visiting & sharing stories with Nick, which was like meeting an old friend. Hopefully will go back in the warmer weather to relax on the porch with a good book, some fresh baked cookies & a cup of Earl Grey!

Room Tip: LaForge was a great room! Roomy, nice fireplace, king size bed.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple