“easy access to town”

Admiral Farragut Inn
Admiral Farragut Inn
Ranked #75 of 96 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 May 2016

The Inn was set on a quiet side street with a short (minutes) walk to town and to restaurants/activities. The breakfast, with a menu of options, was a real plus. Room #6 was very spacious and private (we were given a choice upon arrival, which was great). There was a family with a small child above us which made our stay a bit noisy. Parking was a plus! The Inn is one of several owned and managed by the same company..a bit confusing, but it worked. We would recommend!

Room Tip: #6 was a more private spacious room!
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 September 2015

Hospitality was amazing! But first, I need to confirm the room, in this lovely B&B, was wonderfully vintage, certainly spacious, very classy, and absolutely convenient. Included in our king room was a small wall-mounted TV, ample outlets, A/C, and critical free WiFi. Although desired was a small room refrigerator ... we made due with a central one and ice from the sister B&B right next door. The bathroom was clean, and with recently re-done new tile, plus the shower/water pressure was better than any other, period. Free breakfast made-to-order, from a reasonably full menu, started our day off right. Then, due to 1-block proximity to center of downtown, all shopping, restaurants and entertainment was only a minute walk away, even though parking (for 5-minute drives to the beaches, etc) was plentiful and convenient.

Now, for what separates the good from the great: Hospitality ... which was tremendous, from walk-in to drive away ... with on-site owner Rick's always "do anything for your" presence ... to his son Zack's (at breakfast and beyond) attentiveness and politeness re-defining the concept of pure kindness ... to attentive staff's smiles. I would easily recommend this and other Inns of Newport, all family owned, simply because it makes vacations and events both memorable and beautiful.

Room Tip: All rooms we noticed were similarly appointed and convenient.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2015

The location could not be beat! In the most charming historical district (with parking) and only a couple of blocks to shopping and the harbor. The owner and his son were very attentive, ensuring we had what we needed for our room as well as for dinner recommendations and running routes. We had a one night stay and spent much of our time exploring the city. The king size bed was so comfortable - got a great night sleep and had a delicious breakfast. Would stay here again!

Room Tip: 2nd floor, Captain's Quarters #4 - spacious, private/quiet
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2015 via mobile

Up for a night with my family in Newport. The Inn itself was quite charming. Had a colonial feel and bed was comfortable.

We signed up for a 9 o'clock breakfast. When we arrived at 9 we were told, by the owner, that there were no tables available and that perhaps a time slot, 10 or later, would be more convenient for him. He had us sit in a waiting area that was unkept/un-stocked for breakfast. The owner then told us he would come get us when a table was available. We sat there for 45 minutes and finally decided to go find him. Once found, he told us that there were two tables available. Now being an hour after our time slot, we were upset that he never came to tell us a table was ready. When we finally got a table, the waitress took about 10 minutes to take our order and then told my cousin that they were too busy to meet a special request she made due to her dietary restrictions.

Upon checkout, the owner asked us how everything was and when we expressed our dissatisfaction he was flippant. I will not be going back.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Emily M
Reviewed 18 July 2015

I love the feel of Newport's history. I have been in Newport many times. Was there on business and really only sleeping in the room so I decided to stay in a B&B to get the colonial feel. Researched a lot of inn's and B&B's. This group of B&B's came up on Clarke Street and saw that the location was key since parking in Newport is impossible during the season and they do have off street parking, although very tight!
Check in was fine and Clarke Street is very charming. I stayed in room 6 at the top of the stairs. The building was built in the early 1700's, so wasn't expecting much, my thoughts were verified upon entering the room. The room was basically clean except for the carpeting. I could not take my shoes off for the carpet was filthy. The whole time I was there, I did not see the housekeepers use a vacuum once! That situation was confirmed when I notices 2 "dry cleaning" metal hangers under a table in the room. Did they vacuum around them? I think not. I was in and out of the room several times through out the day and never saw nor heard a vacuum. The room itself was spacious. I'm sure there are smaller ones. I had a queen bed which was fine. The a/c worked great. It was hot and muggy outside. The bathroom was clean and well stocked with towels. At some point during the day they did come in and replace the towels and made the bed which was quite comfortable. If you are a breakfast eater, this is a wonderful perk. Pancakes, French toast, eggs and omelets, fruit, cereals, etc. Coffee and the OJ. I am not a breakfast eater but decided to go down anyway and it was wonderful. You order from a menu sitting on the table and the breakfast staff were all very nice and accommodating. I stayed during the week so the price was very reasonable, $169/night. I did look up for the weekend and was over $340/night. At that price I would think it was too much for what you get, but it is Newport and rooms during the season are at a premium. My only pet peeve is the vacuuming. The carpet was stained and dirty. Cant have that! Would I stay there again? Perhaps.....

Room Tip: If you can walk up stairs, get a room on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
ANewporter, Owner at Admiral Farragut Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2015

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I apologize for the state of the carpeting in your room. We have replaced the carpeting in the hallways. That room is the only room in the building with carpeting and we have plans to replace it in the near future. However, in the meantime, it should and will be cleaned and vaccumed (including under the bed).

I am glad that you were able to enjoy the convenient location and great breakfasts!