“Could Be So Much Better”

Admiral Farragut Inn
Admiral Farragut Inn
Ranked #75 of 96 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 July 2015

I love the feel of Newport's history. I have been in Newport many times. Was there on business and really only sleeping in the room so I decided to stay in a B&B to get the colonial feel. Researched a lot of inn's and B&B's. This group of B&B's came up on Clarke Street and saw that the location was key since parking in Newport is impossible during the season and they do have off street parking, although very tight!
Check in was fine and Clarke Street is very charming. I stayed in room 6 at the top of the stairs. The building was built in the early 1700's, so wasn't expecting much, my thoughts were verified upon entering the room. The room was basically clean except for the carpeting. I could not take my shoes off for the carpet was filthy. The whole time I was there, I did not see the housekeepers use a vacuum once! That situation was confirmed when I notices 2 "dry cleaning" metal hangers under a table in the room. Did they vacuum around them? I think not. I was in and out of the room several times through out the day and never saw nor heard a vacuum. The room itself was spacious. I'm sure there are smaller ones. I had a queen bed which was fine. The a/c worked great. It was hot and muggy outside. The bathroom was clean and well stocked with towels. At some point during the day they did come in and replace the towels and made the bed which was quite comfortable. If you are a breakfast eater, this is a wonderful perk. Pancakes, French toast, eggs and omelets, fruit, cereals, etc. Coffee and the OJ. I am not a breakfast eater but decided to go down anyway and it was wonderful. You order from a menu sitting on the table and the breakfast staff were all very nice and accommodating. I stayed during the week so the price was very reasonable, $169/night. I did look up for the weekend and was over $340/night. At that price I would think it was too much for what you get, but it is Newport and rooms during the season are at a premium. My only pet peeve is the vacuuming. The carpet was stained and dirty. Cant have that! Would I stay there again? Perhaps.....

Room Tip: If you can walk up stairs, get a room on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
ANewporter, Owner at Admiral Farragut Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2015

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I apologize for the state of the carpeting in your room. We have replaced the carpeting in the hallways. That room is the only room in the building with carpeting and we have plans to replace it in the near future. However, in the meantime, it should and will be cleaned and vaccumed (including under the bed).

I am glad that you were able to enjoy the convenient location and great breakfasts!

Reviewed 10 July 2015

We absolutely loved this BnB. Highlight of our vacation. Big rooms,lovely bed,awesome jacuzzi tub and very centrally located! We would definitely stay here again on our next trip. Breakfast was yummy

Stayed: July 2015
1  Thank Ellenandmike8524
Reviewed 3 July 2015

My wife and I spent two nights in the at the Admiral Farragut Inn and had a wonderful time. The Inn complex is located in a perfect spot for walking to all the neat places in the heart of Newport. We did not have to move our car once we arrived and were able to walk everywhere. The people working at the inn, including the owner were very courteous and accommodating of our needs and many questions. Our room on the second floor was pleasant and quite. The inn is comprised of several early buildings and has the old colonial charm that fits into Newport. They had coffee available early, for those of us that got up with the sun.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rocketman1299
Reviewed 29 June 2015

My wife and I spent two nights in the Cleveland House of the Admiral Farragut Inn. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay as the staff was very courteous attending to our needs and answering any questions we had about getting around Newport. We had a nice room on the second floor with a comfortable king-size bed and spacious bathroom. Although the free parking was crowded at times, accomodations were made to park our car near the inn. The free breakfast was welcome as we did not have to venture out to dine. With so much to see and do in Newport, we plan to stay at the Farragut Inn on our return trip.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DJCeltics
Reviewed 14 June 2015

Upon arriving to the hotel we were given the choice of two rooms. We chose the one with the larger bathroom. The owner was very nice and accommodating. There is a door that is scraped and not painted but it looks like it belongs with the building. The building is old and if it was my hotel I would keep it without the paint. The room was clean and overall I slept well. The breakfast downstairs was superb. We were treated very well by the staff. I would say that overall it was a good experience.

Room Tip: Ask the owner what rooms he would recommend.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple