See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed here for one night last weekend. My wife and I have traveled all over the world and stayed in the full gamut of hotels from awful hostels (in our younger years) to five star hotels varying from Chateaux and Relais properties to Rosewood Group resorts. I have never stayed in a hotel room that was more out of sync with the price paid for it. I am not exaggerating when i say that my wife and I literally both burst into laughter when we walked into the room, fortunately we dont take ourselves very seriously. And we were told, verbatim: If you want a bigger room you can pay more for one. We had no interest in that as it was already 3pm and we intended to spend no time whatsoever in our room.
First the price: $450/night including tax. I do not have an issue with the rate if the quality is commensurate.
Our room felt like an attic. We were along the roof line in a tiny room. There was a television set from the early 1990's and an alarm clock (unplugged) from the same era. The wood floors and bathroom looked like they hadnt been touched in several decades. The smoke detector had been ripped off the ceiling leaving just the exposed wires and there was a piece of cardboard covering the skylight. The carpeting in the hallway are all stained.
I could barely fit in the shower it was so small and i am no giant. I had to turn sideways to get underneath the approximately 8 individual sprays of water coming out of the shower head.
There was not a single amenity offered in the hotel, not even a bottle of water left in the room. I think there might have been a breakfast but no one told us about it upon checking in.
Once we checked in, if we had any choice in the matter I would have been out of there immediately and demanded a full refund. But on a Saturday night in Newport in August, there is truly nowhere to go. Clearly the proprietors of the Admiral Farragut know this and Fully Take Advantage.
As a matter of comparison so the readers know that this price paid is not in-line with where they should be in Newport given the quality, our friends were staying on the same night directly across the street at the Vanderbilt-Grace Hotel (they were booked when we tried getting in). Their room was $600 + tax. Their room and the hotel was beautiful, updated, full amenities, all new furnishings, lovely staff, etc. If our room at Admiral Farragut was truly worth $450 including tax, their room should have been $5,000.
The proprietors of the Admiral Farragut should be embarrassed. I would have expressed this to them directly but my wife (not a fan of confrontation) literally would not allow me to go back in upon checkout. Its OK the charge this much for a room, even in an old Inn, but at least put some money into your rooms and provide some level of quality to justify the price.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed in the Admiral Farragut Inn with my elderly mother recently. We were both very happy with this historic old Inn and with the excellent service we got. The location is excellent - walking distance to the waterfront shops and right in the middle of the historic area of Newport. And we had plenty of room - I do not know what the other people who reviewed this inn are talking about.
These people complaining about the smallness of the place just do not appreciate the historic nature of this inn. Yes it is smaller as it is a house from the 1700's! But it's big enough.
We had two rooms. My mother needed a ground floor room, which they provided, and which was plenty large enough for her. She had a full bath, closet space, and the most comfortable bed she had slept in in ages. She has back problems - well the bed handled them for the whole 3 nights we were here. We could have easily stayed for a couple of weeks. I had a wonderful room on the second floor with a super-comfortable bed too, a nice-size closet and bath. Everything was in keeping with the colonial nature of the building, but without depriving us of our modern day comforts. I especially liked the hand-painted details in the entryway, in the closet even, the bathroom and on the fireplace mantelpiece. The floors were the original wide planks which you just do not see in modern buildings anymore.
Breakfasts were great, cooked to order, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We did have trouble parking one night as the street is so small in this section of town, but that's part of the charm.
This was the best place we stayed during our week-long trip - and that trip included staying at a couple of big-name 5 star hotels in cities nearby. Admiral Farragut beat them hands-down!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Christine L
Reviewed 13 October 2013

To start we were booked into the Melville inn next door, but when shown our room it was tiny and dark, no TV or space, bare wires hanging from ceiling, we were on 16 day road trip with plenty of luggage and would have been impossible for our 2 suitcases, we complained and was changed to Admiral farragut.

I so much wanted to like this inn, but it was let down by too many small things.

On the plus side it is in a great position, tight but good free parking and a nice old building.
Unfortunately it was let down by the following, poor breakfast (we only ate once), $10 for cold egg and 3 strips of bacon. Rooms lacked maintenance, 2 doors in room squeaked (a problem we cured in a few minutes), the bed squeaked everytime we moved, the skirting (radiators) had panels missing from them, the wardrobe was only about 6'' deep so clothes had to be hung on hooks, but it was not used as looked like it needed a clean and coat of paint, ditto draw space.

All the above was mentioned to the owner on check out and he said he would look into it immediately, but considering the price we had paid we should not have needed to point it out, try staying in your own rooms from time to time to see for yourself.

If the maintenance issues could be sorted out this would have been a nice place to stay, but on our experience we would have rather saved money staying in one of the chain hotels in Middletown and used the money saved for taking cabs into Newport.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mart166
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We went to the Admiral Farragut Inn on our honeymoon nearly 20 years ago. It was small then and still small after all these years. It is quaint, and the owners are nice but the Inn is really too small for EXTENDED comfort and amenities. It is an old inn and although the furnishings are new and very nice and comfy we had a difficult time turning around in the room, because it is so tiny. I wouldn't stay here for more than one night traveling through Newport, which is a favorite town of ours. Walk up no elevator.
The breakfast was good.
The prices are steep for what you get. No wifi. No pets. No smoking if you smoke.

Room Tip: If you are looking for lots of amenities and wifi and larger rooms, you need to search for a bigger hotel or inn.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wrapitupnow
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We had a room on the top floor, it was small but comfortable for two people. It had a rustic feel and the sailing theme was a nice touch of New England. The owner Rick was friendly and made things easy. The breakfast was simple but all you could ask for, including fresh squeezed orange juice. We had the mid-week special of $129 +tax and for that price it is tough to beat, especially when there was free parking! I would recommend this place to a friend looking for something affordable, clean, and in a good location near the pier.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple