Wayside Guest House
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Gilded(Newport)
View Hotel
All reviewselms mansionbellevue avenuenice fruitfamily suitefreshly baked muffinscliff walksecond homesitting areaenjoy your staylocal attractionswalking distancebed and breakfastparked our carrooms are spaciousthoroughly enjoyed our stayquichenewport mansions
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I wrote a day or so ago, but was not sure that it went through. I'm trying again because this is such a lovely and unique place to stay when in Newport. I believe I said that it was like visiting old friends or dear cousins and the Posts do everything to make your stay pleasurable. Each room has a quality of its own and is unique. No mass hotel decorating! You are surrounded by things from a past era and can imagine yourself living in the 1800's. The place is clean, cheerful and in an excellent location and certainly the price is right. This time we stayed in the little cottage in the rear which is also cheerful and has a nautical theme. There are 2 bedrooms, a private bath and kitchen and a living/dining area. If you are lucky, you will be able to experience a stay there.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Newport23
Reviewed 11 August 2010

This is my second trip to Newport and was my first time staying at the Wayside B&B. After my first visit to Newport, I was determined that for my next visit to Newport we would stay somewhere located in a more central location to the sigths and the Wayside was the perfect place for us. The apartment was perfect for my wife, 2 sons and I, very clean and my sons couldnt get enough of the pool! In addition to being just a couple of minutes away from Fourty steps,mansions and less than a block away from Narragansent avenue that takes you straight to all the restaurants and attractions on Thames street, the owners were extremely gracious to my family and helped make our family vacation one that we will remember for a long time to come....thanks and we will see you next summer!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2010

if you care about location and there are only 2 of you, then the Wayside Inn is probably ok. The Inn is on Belleveue Ave right next to the spectacular mansions. The rooms in the main house are a bit shabby but they are spacious and have character, although the bathrooms are miniscule. We unfortunately made the mistake of staying in 'the cottage in the garden' as it was erroneously described. At $300 a night I was expecting something at least slightly endearing. I wasn't expecting to be led across a cracked concrete carpark away from the main house to the garage. We were led up musty smelling stairs to some rooms above the garage that had damp stains on the ceilings and tiny dark bedrooms with spiderwebs. The air conditioning apparently only works if the bedroom and bathroom doors are closed, which means only the person on the uncomfortable fold out couch gets to sleep in a coolish room. It was absolutely unbearably hot while we where there and none of us slept at all. Apparently there were fans in each of the 2 bedrooms, but in one room the fan was in the cupboard and as the lighting was so dim we didn't actually find it until the next morning. The other bedroom with the King size bed had musty smelling pillowslips and the bed slanted not only to the side, but also downwards, so your head is lower than your feet. Subsequently we suffered both gastric reflux and the unpleasant sensation that we were falling out of the bed all night. There is a swimming pool which is relatively pleasant and breakfast was perfectly adequate - fruit, cereal, juice and fresh muffins, but I would not stay again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Waysidenewport, Manager at Wayside Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

So glad you enjoyed your stay Paul! And...a soap dish is now installed in Room 1's shower!

Best Regards, Lorraine

Reviewed 7 July 2010

We stayed at the Wayside last year. This was our 3rd trip to Newport in 20 or so years. On the good side, the Wayside has a real nice location...you're just down the street from the Casino and walking distance to some of the tour mansions. Having a pool is also handy, and it is in a quiet area of Newport. The breakfast area is beautiful and the breakfast was first rate. The owner is very nice and friendly, and he tried to accomodate our needs as best as he could, On the down side, we experienced that "shabby" aspect other reviews have spoken about. This place is in need of serious upgrading...much of it is simply run down. Our room had a TV that had to have been made in the mid 1970's. Dust, spider webs, un-vacuumed floors, worn out carpets, etc. It must have been a beautiful place in the 1930's, and it still could be magnificent, but right now it needs some work to become a top level B+B.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Although it seems a bit rundown from the front, it is very inviting and nice inside. Our room was very clean. Large private bathroom was nice. The bed was quite comfortable. Plan on a 10 minute walk to the Thames St area. Breakfast starts at 8am, which I feel is late for a B&B. Although coffee was available at 7am, why not just put the breakfast out at that time, since it is just cereal and fruit, anyway? I enjoyed my coffee (very good brew) sitting by the outdoor pool. We were there on the July 4th weekend, and it was the only place that would rent for 1 night. I don't think you can beat the price and the location of this place. We investigated B&B's thoroughly. Go for it...

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple