“A Hidden Gem”
Review of La Maison De Coco - CLOSED

La Maison De Coco
Cuisines: French
Description: This was a lovely find just down the street from the La Farge Perry B&B, where we stayed, and across the street from The Viking Hotel. Don't let the small storefront appearance fool you. The proprietor and pastry chef, Michele De Luca-Verley, is a perfectionist in every sense of the word. Her chocolate truffles are an absolutely sensual experience. Her madeleines are biscotti are light, airy, and delicious. Iced coffee is more than merely iced coffee. She froths it in a blender, taking an ordinary beverage and transforming it with that deceptively simple touch into something that will probably have me making it that way for the rest of my life. When she prepares a box of pastries or chocolates for you to take with you, she wraps your purchase with great attention to detail, ties it off with a ribbon, and seals it with sealing wax. Even if you are not in the vicinity, you owe yourself a visit to 28 Bellvue Ave. for a delightful touch of continental excellence. Just avoid the insufferable wine snob next door.
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Find this place- it's worth it! We got there as they were almost closing, so we decided just to grab some chocolates "to go". Wow. Decadent... excellent.... mind blowing. The truffles were to die for - try them - any one of them. I couldn't even pick a favorite. Lots of great coffee drinks, teas, and some very interesting haut Hot chocolates that I will be sure to sample when i return - and i WILL return!

Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

I had a hot chocolate (you can choose from a list of 5 gourmet choices) and 2 truffles. My friend had French press coffee with whipped cream which was excellent. you can sit outside and they provide pretty little blankets. the chocolate is infused with tea and flavors change with the season. An elegant stop in elegant Newport.

1  Thank ACMC75
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We were walking around Newport and a friend of mine wanted to stop for some coffee. We just happened to notice this shop and another right next door. We decided to go into La Maison De Coco and I'm so glad we did. We almost missed a jewel.

I am not a coffee drinker at all, but that was the best cup of coffee I've ever had in my life. I ordered the cappuccino. I got a couple of the truffles which were delicious. I also ordered a caramel crepe. I definitely want to go back to try more of their products.

We got to talk in depth with the owners of the shop and they were two of the sweetest women I've ever met. They make everything (chocolate and baked goods) in house, fresh, without any preservatives. That would explain the higher prices. I did not have a problem spending some extra money for a great product. They had been in business for three years and I hope they have many more years of success.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

This restaurant specializes in sweets and no longer produces savory crepes. However, those described in other reviews are simple and substantial, using a good batter and not providing any sugar high!

English and French are spoken. I assume all menu items are equally good. Moreover, the tea is real and excellent.

It isn't often that a crepe and a pot of tea equal lunch. The menu appears complex, but relax and believe!

Reviewed 8 August 2013

My son and I went on a morning walk with our dog and we came across this great little cafe. A local referred us to it. The food was amazing. We both had crepes. I had the Coco special - ginger infused sugar, lime and butter. My son had the homemade strawberry and raspberry jam crepe. We also shared a ginger scone. Everything was out of this world. The flavors were amazing. I also got tea. They have a wide selection. The cream came in an adorable little bottle. I can't remember the last time I've had such an amazing breakfast. I highly recommend trying this place when you're in town.