“A gotta go to cafe”
Review of La Maison De Coco - CLOSED

La Maison De Coco
Cuisines: French
Description: This was a lovely find just down the street from the La Farge Perry B&B, where we stayed, and across the street from The Viking Hotel. Don't let the small storefront appearance fool you. The proprietor and pastry chef, Michele De Luca-Verley, is a perfectionist in every sense of the word. Her chocolate truffles are an absolutely sensual experience. Her madeleines are biscotti are light, airy, and delicious. Iced coffee is more than merely iced coffee. She froths it in a blender, taking an ordinary beverage and transforming it with that deceptively simple touch into something that will probably have me making it that way for the rest of my life. When she prepares a box of pastries or chocolates for you to take with you, she wraps your purchase with great attention to detail, ties it off with a ribbon, and seals it with sealing wax. Even if you are not in the vicinity, you owe yourself a visit to 28 Bellvue Ave. for a delightful touch of continental excellence. Just avoid the insufferable wine snob next door.
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Located on Bellevue Ave., opposite the Hotel Viking in Newport, RI, this cafe is a place you must visit.
We went for a quick lunch. We had squash soup and salad and crepes and a salad. We shared these dishes. They were fresh, delicious, beautifully presented dishes. We followed with caramel coco for "desert".
French deliciousness is all around. Pastry, and chocolates, coffee, tea, coco in different flavors are available.
If you have memories of a cafe in Paris, go to La Mison De Coco and you will be there.

1  Thank Barbara M

Reviewed 23 November 2011

I fell in love with these ginger scones a few months ago and I keep coming back for more and will continue to do so so long as they make them.
They are absolutely delicious and I also love their chocolate truffles, the caramel being my favorite.
The store is beautiful and very clean and the staff is always very pleasant and friendly!
I believe that I also met the owner today when I went in today when I was taking a break from painting. She was very kind.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

Cafe Ole was excellent - the owner was very nice and the madelines we delicious.

Reviewed 6 October 2011

We stayed three nights in Newport and enjoyed breakfast at La Maison De Coco each morning. They made delicious French press coffee for us along with crepes so light and delicious with local made strawberry perserves and the best scones we've ever had (including scones in Ireland and Scotland). You can sit inside and breathe in the delicious aromas of everything Michele is cooking or outside at small bistro tables. We really felt like we were in Paris again. We recommend this delightful cafe to everyone and know you will love it as much as we do.

Reviewed 18 September 2011

This was a lovely find, just across the street from The Viking Hotel. Don't let the small storefront appearance fool you. The proprietor and pastry chef, Michele De Luca-Verley, is a perfectionist in every sense of the word. Friendly and outgoing in a way that chefs often are not, her chocolate truffles are an absolutely sensual experience. Her madeleines and biscotti are light, airy, and delicious. Iced coffee is more than merely iced coffee; she froths it in a blender, taking an ordinary beverage and transforming it with this deceptively simple touch into something that will probably have me making it that way for the rest of my life. When she prepares a box of her desserts for you to take with you, she wraps it with great attention to detail, ties the box off with a slender ribbon and seals it with sealing wax. I mean, come on, how many people sweat the small stuff like that? When we came back for the second time, she was instructing an employee in the proper way to package take-outs, and she painstakingly had her re-wrap it, patiently showing her exactly how she wanted it done. Ms. De Luca-Verley really cares about her business, and it shows. Even if you are not in the vicinity, you owe yourself a visit to 28 Bellvue Ave. for a delightful touch of continental excellence. Just avoid the insufferable wine snob next door.

1  Thank SimonGreensboro_NC