All reviewslight housefog hornupstairs apartmentnesting seasonoff limitsnesting birdsnon profit organizationbarracks roomunique stayno electricityfull kitchenfire pitfirst floorspent a weekwi fiother guestsrelaxing weekend
Reviewed 31 May 2016

Stayed in the Keepers Quarters 2 nights and it was one of the most fantastic experiences ever. Peaceful, relaxing are two of the words to describe the island. Next time we will go later in the year to be able to explore more when the birds are no longer nesting. Definitely need another stay! Highly recommended.

Stayed: May 2016
3  Thank Schwenksville220
Reviewed 27 October 2015

What a beautiful place! The lighthouse is a lot of fun to explore. Definitely planning a trip back soon to spend more time there. I really enjoyed being able to climb up to the catwalk and see the view. It was lovely.

Stayed: October 2015
2  Thank Robyn M
Reviewed 9 October 2015 via mobile

My father and I went to the Rose Island lighthouse in October 2014 to stay overnight and wow! What a neat place to visit!! There are more sea shells on this island than anywhere I've visited in all my life. We chose to sleep initially in the foghorn room, but unknown to either of us, there are a lot of steep steps to navigate. Not a good idea for a 75 year old man. So arrangements were kindly made for my father to stay on the first floor of the lighthouse. We appreciated that:>). The sunrise and sunset were AMAZING on this island! This place is so serene to just sit back and listen to the waves crashing against the shore. The views of the bridge are fantastic in the day and at night, with lights sparkling on the water. One thing I want to mention to those light sleepers like me, on one of the bouys they have a bell that makes noise for every wave. Just be prepared for that:>). The rooms to these buildings are really neat, with a lot of history. There are some old remnants of the past to check out as well. Trust me, this is a definite MUST for anyone passing through Newport to visit/stay overnight.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Tigerman777
Reviewed 11 September 2015 via mobile

Spending the night at the Rose Island Lighthouse was a blast! It was like going back in time. It was on my sister's bucket list but it was a perfect experience for all three of us.
So relaxing and would do it again given the opportunity. You get your bang for your buck.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank joprice1955
Reviewed 1 September 2015

I have always been fond of lighthouses and castles. For my 30th birthday, I wanted to stay in a lighthouse so we decided to make this place part of out four day trip from NY. We decided to stay here for two nights and chose the Wanton room. I booked this stay months in advance and it was very easy to do so. I was a little nervous about what we would do for two nights and how we would occupy our time as I tend to get bored easily. We pulled up to the dock and waited for Chris to take us to the lighthouse. The boat ride was very quick and he was very friendly. I was in awe the moment we arrived. The views are breathtaking and everyone is extremely friendly. There was a family staying in the apartment above us that has been going there for three years (with four girls). They were extremely friendly. I found that we had plenty to do. We spent the time searching for sea glass and sea shells, fishing, jumping off of the dock, walking around the island, reading, kayaking (there are four or five kayaks that are free to use), sitting in the many lawn chairs watching the sail boats. The solar showers were easy to use as were the toilets. We also used the stove to cook two meals. We brought some food with us and we did not have a refrigerator but the people upstairs in the apartment offered to put our stuff in their fridge. I travel a lot and i don't like to go to the same place twice, but i am planning my next trip back. Words do not do this place justice.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple