All reviews carriage house cookies continental breakfast rooftop deck the main house bagels free parking first floor cozy room the breakfast area night's sleep nice breakfast located within walking distance four poster bed location was perfect thames street mansion tour
Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

This is our eleventh year going to Newport. And I believe it was our fourth time staying at the Yankee Peddler Inn. We usually stay in Room 3 with another couple because it's a spacious two bedroom suite. But we were alone this year and stayed in Room 15 in the Cottage House. Both are very clean and well maintained. The inn offers a continental breakfast every morning and a wine and cheese happy hour from 5:00-7:00pm on Fridays and Saturdays.
Saturday night we went back to the inn around 5:30 for happy hour, but there wasn't any wine or cheese put out for the guests. We didn't think much of it and went back to our room to get ready for dinner. My wife was talking with the innkeeper the following morning and mentioned to her that there wasn't any wine for happy hour. The innkeeper was glad that she made her aware of it. She also told her that we spent our honeymoon in Newport eleven years ago and we've been coming back every year to celebrate our anniversary. When we arrived back to our room Saturday night, there were two bottles of wine and a box of truffles on the bed with a card wishing us a Happy Anniversary from the Yankee Peddler Inn. We were very surprised by the thoughtful gesture.
When we checked out Monday morning, we also booked our stay for next year at the Yankee Peddler Inn.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed in #15 in the carriage house. Our room was dark, with only one bedside lamp and no decor. The blanket was hard and scratchy. The shower was in need of work, and the bathroom had no hooks or racks for hanging towels. The room was very humid.

The breakfast was poorly organized, requiring us to run all over to collect everything we needed. The coffee was dismal. The food was similar to what is on offer in an economy hotel. After the first morning we skipped the breakfast we were paying for and went downtown for coffee and pastries.

On the plus side, the staff, available 24, hours a day, were very nice and helpful.

This was the least expensive bed and breakfast I could find in pricey Newport. Next time I will pay more—elsewhere.

1  Thank Linda H
Reviewed 24 October 2017

We'd stayed at the Yankee Peddler for 1 night while in Newport and it was great. We got a room with 2 bedrooms separated by a bathroom, which was perfect for my family. Parking is a little nuts - but they seem to have it down to a science (I did see another review where the woman asked the customer how they were parked - and I see the need to ask - they literally have just enough space to park 1 car per room in this place). I got the best night's sleep there that I've had in a while - may be partially due to the active day we had in town, but I'll definitely give the comfy bed some credit! Definitely happy enough to stay there for a night!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

First of all let me say that my wife and I are not bed and breakfast people. The staff and management were very nice. Recommended restaurants and explained house “procedures” and amenities. The building is old and the rooms are dated. But the location and price made it a good choice for our one night stay. It is close to restaurants and wharf but a drive to the mansions. Free parking. Decent continental breakfast with home baked goods. The woman who bakes was present and could not have been nicer! The lady staffing the evening desk was a local who helped us with suggestions for dining and sightseeing. They will help with bags as it is a difficult climb up the steps. If you are ok with an old building that is not fancy this will be ok for you.

Reviewed 23 October 2017

We arrived in town about an hour before check-in and thought we might see if the room was ready early. I parked in the back lot and walked inside, and heard a voice in the back room say they would be out in a minute. A woman came out to the front desk and just stared at us. No smile, or hello, or how are you, or welcome. Nothing but awkward silence. So I explained who I was and that I knew I was early but thought I’d stop in to see if the room was ready yet. She flipped through her paperwork and just said “No.” Followed by more awkward silence. She asked if my car was in the lot and if I wanted to leave it there, and I said yes. She looked at me and said “Are you between the lines, over the lines, or on the lines?” I actually didn’t know how to respond to this, because so far she had been uncomfortably unwelcoming, and was now bordering on condescending. I replied “Uh, between the lines, I know how to park a car”. She said “I have to ask because a lot of people don’t.” If your initial reaction to your customers is to assume that they are all idiots and can’t drive or follow the rules, why on earth are you working in the service industry?

I had read previous reviews on here describing a woman that sounds just like this, and the inn’s manager replied saying that sometimes people have a bad day. In fact, I believe the woman we interacted with IS the manager. This doesn’t just sound like having a bad day and instead seems to be a deeper problem. As someone who works in the service and hospitality industry, I firmly believe that those in a customer-facing position should be polite and professional toward the people paying for a service, no matter the circumstances. I am quite certain that I did not deserve to be spoken to like that.

I used to live in Newport (just around the corner from the inn actually) and had thought we might patronize a local business rather than stay with friends or in an AirBnB. After the first few minutes at the desk, I was ready to cancel my reservation and walk out, even if it meant money lost. I was actually so appalled by the interaction that I wasn’t sure how to react, so we left to walk around for an hour until check-in while I considered my options.

I remained hopeful, however, and decided to stay. Luckily, the rest of the staff were a delight. The ladies working downstairs in the kitchen (Darlene & Felicia I believe?), the gentleman working the desk at night - everyone else was very friendly and welcoming, so this was a pleasant change.

As far as the inn itself is concerned: the room was sufficient, breakfast was fine (made even better by the happy and accommodating ladies there!), fast wifi, parking is an excellent benefit, and location is great of course. Loved the upstairs patio.

So all in all, it was a fine stay. I would like to thank the other staff at the inn for improving my experience.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple