“It was what we were looking for.”
Review of America's Cup Inn

America's Cup Inn
Ranked #28 of 96 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We booked the hotel through Kayak.com
Stayed there two nights.
The staff was very friendly and nice.
The room was clean and had everything we needed.
No nice view, just a parking lot, but very centrally located.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 August 2011

We went to Newport, RI for a 4 day weekend. I found America's Cup Inn on Trip Advisor with good reviews so I booked a king size room. It was tough to find at first since it was our first time in the area but we quickly realized what a perfect location it was, right in the center of town and a 5-10 minute walk to the harbour area. Parking seems to be something you pay for in most hotels in Newport and America's Cup had a convenient public area parking lot right across the street at a discounted rate. Our room was lovely and clean with early american decor. The breakfast was an amazing spread of delicious and varied selections, probably the best breakfast I've ever had at an Inn. One thing was that I think we were lucky to be on the second floor, I didn't see an elevator and was glad we didn't have to climb up too far to our room. I noticed some other reviews mentioned road noise as an issue, we didn't experience that because we had the air conditioner running the entire time so it muffled the sound. But I think the sidewalks roll up early enough that it wouldn't have been a problem. I would highly recommend this Inn for your stay in Newport.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We got two rooms for our family - 2 adults and 5 kids. The place was VERY cramped. They convinced me not to take another room, saying the sofa beds would work fine for our needs. The mattresses were TERRIBLE on these! The bathroom in my room had a very new, large bathtub in it, which was nice, but the sink was VERY small. There was no way to wash up in it without splashing water everywhere. Ants were constantly in the bathroom and on the steps leading up to the room. There was another large millipede in the shower when we first got there. The food spread that was available in the common dining area was diverse, but the numbers of flies in that room, landing on the food, made it all unappetizing. Location was terrific though.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank gjfritz
Reviewed 22 August 2011

This is a terrible place! I hope I can remember all the issues (and we only stayed 2 nights-imagine if we stayed longer!).
We stayed in rooms 101 & 102, which are next door to the main lobby. The rooms are old, they are dirty and dingy, they smell of musty, dank air. The kitchenettes are outdated and I didn't want to put anything in the refrigerator.
The comforters need to be thrown out, along with all the furniture since neither has ever been cleaned. The furniture looks like it was bought in a second-hand store about 30 yrs ago!
Both bathrooms had ants!!! When I complained, the employee on duty feigned dumbness and acted like he never heard that before and asked me what to do about it. He also said his boss would call me about it; never heard back from anyone regarding this issue. Disgusting is the best word to describe this place.
Oh and the continental breakfast is scary. Flies were all over the food! When we told the employee on duty, he just looked at us and said 'sorry.' I bet they reuse that food daily until it's gone and flies just keep landing on it day after day.
The main lobby is humid and smells because of a fish pond.
Don't even get me started on the parking! Looking back at the website, I don't believe those pictures were even taken there!
Save yourselves and DON'T STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I booked a trip to Newport for just my 3 month old son and myself in an attempt to get away before returning to work. I needed something located close to where I wanted to be (Thames Street) since I was traveling alone as well as a kitchenette to make bottles. I read a few of the reviews on the America's Cup Inn and wasn't sure it would work because of the low star rating, but it was everything I could've expected for what I was looking for.

I booked an apartment suite through Hotels.com knowing it had a kitchenette, but not quite sure of the other amenities the inn provided. I parked across the street ($18 a day after checking into the hotel, but the difference between the cost of the rooms here and other hotels in the same location have a far larger price difference than the parking charges) in the parking lot and brought my bags, my stroller, and my stroller over into the building with the sign on it. I was greeting by an overtly friendly lady who, after checking me in, actually carried my bags over to the building with the apartment suites in them and carried them up to my room.

I was able to come and go pretty conveniently even with the baby in tow. I was only about 6 steps away from Thames Street and was surrounded by everything I went to Newport to see. My room was very clean, had the kitchenette that was in the room description with everything in working order (microwave, refridgerator, sink - right down to dish soap being provided) and was situated on the top floor of the building I was in. It overlooked the city and was a pretty view at night.

The housekeeper was the most friendly person I encountered in Newport. She was helpful, offered a crib because she noted I had a newborn without one in the room, and rearranged her schedule because I didn't want to wake him up to leave the room.

Only downside was that the room got a bit warm during the day, but I suspect that's because they don't anticipate people having to be in their room during the day as I needed to be with a newborn. Everything else was up to par and we would definately return - maybe next time with some additional help to assist with the baby :)

Room Tip: Get the apartment suite