New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 102 Newport B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas, United States
“We had a Great Time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

My family and I were staying in Boston and wanted to drive down to Newport to see the Mansions. It's a tough day trip so we packed a bag and scouted a B & B. Nancy and Bill were amazing! They worked with me on the right accommodations for 7 people, places to fine dine, which mansions to see and what spot to lunch. I can't say enough about their professionally run inn and what a seamless expericene we had in Newport. Accommodations were top notch, location easy to find and minutes away from just about everything Newport!

Room Tip: Stay in the cottage if you can. Nice and private and the Atlantic has an awesome nice bathroom!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Mark,

It was wonderful to have you and your family here. You parents, aunt and uncle, and sister and brother were all great people and we are so glad you chose our inn for your overnight here in Newport. I agree about that Atlantic bathroom....Bill always says you could tango in there, and I think he's right!

Hope your travels back home went well.

Nancy and Bill
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

My wife an I just got back from a 3 day 2 night Anniversay stay at the Cliffside Inn. I could spend the next hour typing out all the great things about this B&B, but to make this simple to read (There is not one thing that I would change at this place). It all starts with the owners Bill & Nancy and the staff (Alexia). From the minute we stepped through the door they made you feel like family. Gracious and caring for every need and request that came up and a surprise Anniversary gift on our last night, was just the icing on top of a great trip. If you get the chance and are lucky enough to book a room at this place, you will have the time of your life.

Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
It was such a pleasure to have you both here and celebrate your 14th anniversary with you. We are so glad that you loved the inn as much as we do and look forward to having you back soon.

All the best,
Nancy
New Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

My wife and I went to celebrate our anniversary and my birthday and had a blast - room and service were great. Not to be outdone....the breakfasts and the afternoon appetizers were incredible. The staff was always there for anything we needed and BILL CAN COOK.

We had never been to Newport and found it had a lot to do and see. I hope we get to get back there soon.

Kory L.

Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
We are so happy that you came to stay with us and that you enjoyed the Sun Room. I love that steam shower! Having people choose the Cliffside for their special occassions really makes us proud of what we are doing here. And yes, Bill does do some amazing things in the kitchen! Thanks for noticing.

Give Dave and Bela our best,
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

Cliffside Inn is in a quiet residential neighborhood - which we liked, but other people may want to be right in the thick of things. Newport was very walkable, so if you want to be in a quieter neighborhood, and don't mind walking 15-20 minutes, this is a good spot. One plus is that it is just a sec to walk to the cliffwalk, and only 5 minutes to the beach. We prize the "silence" on our vacations, so Bill suggested the Carriage House for us. It is right next door to the main house, but we would not be bothered with other guests or pots banging in the kitchen at breakfast time. Our room was charming and much brighter than the pictures on their website showed. In fact it was too bright in the morning due to the skylights, so you might want to bring an eyemask! (I wore a dark t-shirt over my face once the sunlight hit and I was fine). In this specific room, there was a little armoir instead of a closet. The bed is up high and we had to use the little steps to climb up. (we are short). Since the bed was old, it was rather squeaky. They did try to adjust it for us (every time I turned over, the squeaking woke us up) right away once we told them. There were lots of plugs for our chargers and table tops, a chair, and a window seat. The bathroom was bright and spacious. They gave us toiletries on our first night, but didn't replenish them each day.
Check in by Alexa was warm, friendly, and informative. She was very friendly our whole stay. Nancy and Bill were helpful for suggestions of what to do, where to eat, etc. Each early evening they had wine and hors d'oeuvres for their guests - pizzas, dried fruits and nuts, cheeses, meats and crackers, stuffed mushrooms, fresh grapes, tomatoes, olives...on Saturday was a tea with more sweet than savory items. For breakfast, we both enjoyed the Greek yogurt with granola and fresh fruit, muffins, and choice of hot dishes (one morning we had a ricotta pancake w/ fruit compote, one French toast, and one was something with crab and hollandaise sauce). In the evening when we returned, there were cookies on our nightstand by our bed. VERY yummy. Nancy, Bill and Alexa gave us a tour of the other rooms when they were empty. I really liked ours, but if I stayed at Cliffside again, I really liked the renovations they made for the Atlantic and Cliffside suites.
After going on their website to click on the links for restaurants, Bill took care of all of our reservations. He also made calls for us when we wanted to rent a scoop coop. (see our photos)
He was not happy just shaking hands as we said goodbye and gave me a warm hug. Overall, a really enjoyable vacation, with a quiet location, warm owners, and beautifully appointed rooms.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nreyesok
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Thank you so much for your very thoughtful and informative review. We are glad you liked the Carriage House and again apologize about the bed. Unfortunately, antiques sometimes have quirks due to age and use. While I have not heard of that particular issue from any other guest, I am sorry that the squeaking bothered you and kept you awake. We are very happy though that overall your experience here was great and that we could help with planning your time in Newport. The Cliff and Atlantic Suites are great rooms - a little more Coastal than the Victorian Main House, but very spacious yet cozy.

Thank you again for staying with us and for enjoying all the Cliffside has to offer.

New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the Cliffside Inn to celebrate my graduation from Navy Officer Development School. The hospitality was fantastic from the moment we entered. We received a warm welcome and tour of the property upon our arrival. The Inn was recently renovated and is maintained meticulously, from the modernized rooms, an impressive chef's kitchen, to the well-manicured grounds. The bed was especially cozy and I slept like a baby. The breakfast was a real treat! My fiance and I helped ourselves to fresh fruit, yogurt, muffins, eggs cooked to order, and the daily breakfast special. On that particular Sunday, the chef had prepared a delicious sweet and savory blueberry quiche. Freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh pressed coffee, and Harney and Sons teas were also served atop a beautifully set table and fine linens. I doubt one could find a better breakfast in all of Newport. Located a stone's throw away from the water, The Cliffside Inn is a romantic retreat at a spectacular value. We will certainly return!

Natalie,
The Culinary Institute of America, 08

1 Thank Natalie S
Natalie,

I don't think you mentioned you were with CIA when you were here. That makes your review all the more meaningful to us. We were really happy to host the graduation celebration and appreciate your fiance's service to our country.

Thanks for choosing us for your special event and we hope you'll be back again.