“Castle Hill Inn” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Albany, New York
“Castle Hill Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

This is a beautiful property with gracious and welcoming staff. The location on Narragansett Bay is exceptionally lovely at all times of the year. It is the perfect place for romance and relaxation with many great activities nearby.

Room Tip: A fireplace in the bathroom is a beautiful thing!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Weston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed at this inn about 12 years ago. We loved it at the time, and after this stay, we still do. Technically we had been back during the past 12 years, but only for lunches on day trips.

We stayed in the main inn. The Rose room has windows on 3 sides, so you have nice views of the harbor. The room is furnished with antique furniture, a very comfortable king bed, and artwork. The bathroom is updated with a Jacuzzi tub and a rain shower showerhead. The room was immaculately clean and daily was replenished with bottled water and fresh chocolate chip cookies. In a concession to modernity, there is a flat screen LCD mounted across from the bed with satellite channels and a DVD player. There is wifi access on the property. From some reason I didn't get a good connection in our room, but I did in a sitting area outside our room, in the lobby area and even outside on the lawn chairs.

A full breakfast is included with your room. There is a wide variety of choices. My wife was going to have the oatmeal, but also on the menu was lobster scrambled eggs. Since lobster is one of her favorites (I never touch the stuff) and it was included, I asked her if she was nuts. Why would she order oatmeal when lobster scrambled egg was available at the same price?! Fortunately she saw the error of her choice and ordered the lobster scrambled eggs. She said it was excellent and ordered the following morning as well. I had my usual boring scrambled eggs with the Inn's homemade sausage. Delicious.

In the afternoon the Inn serves a formal tea for its guests. As your handpicked tea is brewing you are served scrumptious scones. Tip: you can, and should, ask for more. Then they bring a varying selection of finger sandwiches, biscotti, cookies and dehydrated fruit. Again, they will replenish the plates on request. Don't make too early of a dinner reservation if you attend the tea.

We had dinner in the restaurant on Saturday night. Jackets are not required, but are suggested. I was mortified because that evening as we got dressed I discovered that somehow my jacket and a nice pair of slacks didn't make it into the garment bag when we packed. I was apologetic as we walked down to the reception desk. The hostess was very nice and said to think nothing of it. Several other gentlemen in the room also did not have jackets, but it bothered me that I was not appropriately dressed. This was a superb dining experience due to both the service of the staff and the presentation and taste of the food.

When the establishment has such high standards one tends to look for the smallest imperfections. I must say the service at our second morning breakfast on Sunday was a tad deficient. I suspect they are putting on additional staff for the busy summer season and they are not quite ready for primetime. However, whenever we pointed out a missing teaspoon, sugar tong, forgetting our juice, not replenishing the coffee, the matter was corrected immediately and with a sincere apology.

As an aside, I have read reviews here on Tripadvisor where people have a bad experience, but they never address it with the staff or management. Instead they come on here and complain. Then you read the owner or manager write a response apologizing for the problem and nicely stating that they should have brought to their attention at the time. I have rarely had a serious problem with an establishment, but when I have I have always seen management bend over backwards to make the situation right. If they refuse, then that is the time to hammer them here. Sometimes I read some people's reviews and I think if I had a place, I wouldn't want that person as a customer.

Room Tip: The Rose room has windows on 3 sides and the wood paneling is georgeous.
2 Thank NoSpin
Pound Ridge, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

My husband and I have been coming to Newport for many years. This was our first stay at the Castle Hill Inn...it won't be our last! We had a cottage overlooking the Newport harbor where we watched sailboats and tug boats dot along the coast. From our private deck we enjoyed our rocking chairs and the view of a magnificent sunset and the sparkling lights of the Newport bridge. Our dining experience was amazing. We enjoyed the three course dinner with wine which was excellent. If you are planning a trip to Newport this is a first class destination and a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Harbor Houses. We enjoyed a luxurious cabin style room with ocean views and a priv...
1 Thank Carole M
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

This was our first visit to CH. We specifically chose this venue owing to the fact that it belongs to the Relais & Chateaux - "the most prestigious hotel association in the world"... I should say upfront that we have been lucky to have travelled widely and have visited some really top notch venues where we have enjoyed first class food and service... so we have high expectations !
Castle Hill is in a great spot and we were very excited about our special dinner... the evening had a bumpy start when the barman sprayed my wife and daughter with champagne... after taking our table (teriffic view...) we selected the five course degustation (with wine) menu. Two of the first 3 courses were superb. The main (Wild Boar) was excellent. The meal ended with an anti-climax as the dessert (Creme Brulee) was quite average (my wife makes much better !). The wine matching was reasonable - except for the red with the main which was corked ! There were plenty of staff but the service was a bit hit and miss... the waiters were friendly enough but things didnt happen in the manner and style matching a five star venue... all in all not worth the money ($400)... and nowhere near as good as other Relais & Chateaux venues (try the Ocean House at Watch Hill, Westerly or even better - Jonah's Restaurant & Boutique Hotel at Whale Beach, Sydney Australia....if you want a real wow !

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank ivan i
Warwick, RI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

My wife and I have stayed home since the little one was born and with two young boys in the house it was time for a night to ourselves. We reserved a Harbor House which is located on a cliff overlooking Newport Harbor and also made dinner reservations. The meal was absolutely delicious. We enjoyed the three course pre-fix menu. The meal was by far the best food ever. Later in our room we could hear the fog horn, buoy bells, the waves crashing against the shore. We opened the window slightly to enjoy the smell of the fresh, crisp salt water air. The next morning we enjoyed the bathroom amenities which included organic bath soaps, lotions, etc. from a local farm. We wish we could have stayed the whole week and we will be sure to visit again!

1 Thank Lucas L