“excellent hotel”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed 1 June 2012

this was a good experience. we were visiting Niagara and found the hotel was an excellent base. TGIF on the premises was good for grub. Staff nice and friendly, big clean rooms and good value

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 May 2012

We came to Buffalo for a wedding and chose this hotel as our little retreat. We were there for 4 nights, during the Memorial Day weekend which is a busy time. While we had family and friends at other hotels complaining of all the noise we couldn't hear anything in the halls or floors. It was wonderful! We were right next to a storage closet so I worried about that, but never once heard them. The beds and amenities were great and very comfortable for a family of four. They even gave us a pack and play to use while we were there for our toddler.
The breakfast has tons of options and very yummy! We saved a lot by not going out every morning to eat.
The only downside is that parking was super inconvenient, but typical for NY. Had to cross several busy streets with no signal alert with children was a little scary. Also, there was no pool, which would have been a nice plus if we had the time!
Will stay here again, given the chance!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I went to Buffalo to run the marathon and opted for two nights at the Comfort Suites downtown. Planning for the worst traffic possible Memorial Day weekend, I left early. But the expected masses were nowhere to be seen. As a result, I arrived early. Noon-early. But the folks at the Comfort Suites happily checked me in and I was off to deposit my gear in my King room suite. Parking is a block or so away and it's free with as many in/out vouchers as you might need. Connected to the hotel is a TGI Fridays and within blocks are other restaurants including a Dunkin Donuts and a pizza joint. And everything seems to be open on the weekends. Nice for a downtown location.

My room was very nice with two flat-screen TVs (one for the bedroom and one for the main area of the suite). There was a refrigerator and microwave as well. The bathroom was clean and well stocked. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows and nice bed coverings.

They also offered free bottled water on request and breakfast "to go" bags during the weekdays if you weren't able to stay for breakfast. A very nice touch.

This is a great location if you're in downtown Buffalo and the Anchor Bar is within walking distance (from the perspective of a man who runs marathons...) at just under 1 mile.

I had a great stay in Buffalo and would definitely return to the Comfort Suites Downtown if I find myself in town again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I picked the hotel for the price and location (near the Buffalo Convention Center). Similar hotels in area were much higher priced for the same amenities. Small parking area and drive-thru area to check-in. Free parking at a commercial parking garage about 2 blocks away. Free shuttle to the parking garage on request which I would have taken advantage of at night. I was traveling with my sister and felt a little unsafe on Saturday night as it got dark walking from the garage to the hotel. The hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful. I felt secure in the hotel itself. The suite was roomy and clean with functional hairdryer, coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator. The climate control worked well. The shower had adequate pressure and there was plenty of hot water. The bed was very comfortable and clean. The room smelled fresh (not perfumy). We were located on the 3rd floor. I slept fairly well but did notice some noise down on the street (emergency vehicles, loud voices, and the trolley/train) from about 11pm to about 1am, at intervals. Amenities included free wireless internet, free dvds to play on the in-room dvd player, free hot breakfast which was tasty (wish they had more gluten-free options), free in-room fitness option of duffle bag with exercise items and exercise dvds, and free airport shuttle. There was a "Fridays" in the hotel and a few deli-type restaurants (Dunkin Doughnuts, an Italian pizza/pasta place) within a block or 2 from the hotel. Be aware that there was not a lot to do in that area of town on that holiday weekend. Niagra Falls was an easy 30-45 minute drive (and you could not have paid me to stay anywhere in that area...crowded and dirty-looking!) If you want something like the "Ritz", this is not the place for you. But if you want a clean, comfortable place in downtown Buffalo for a fair price, stay here. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
BuffComfortGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

The suites are on the small side but I was there on business travel by myself, more than adequate. The bathroom has been updated and is very clean and a good size. Even though it's an updated hotel, the room seemed dark. The bed was comfortable. My big issue with the hotel is their use of plastic glasses, plates and cutlery for the breakfast buffet. I believe Hotels who serve lots of travelers should try to be as "green" as possible. This is creating a huge trash pile every morning. More upscale hotels use plates and real knives, forkes and spoons that they clean and reuse. The selections are very basic, lots of sweets and white bread. The healthier option is the wheat bread. There is only one plastic cup size for the hot drinks, small. Again, seems like a minor detail but attention to detail distinguishes the great hotels from the just average ones. There are lots of restaurants within walking distance. There is a TGIF in the hotel. Parking is included however, the garage is not located on the property. It's a short walk way in a commercial garage. You can park at the hotel while checking in. No gym on premises but I found out that you can get a yoga mat and exercise DVD from the front desk at no charge to work out in the room. I also don't think that there is room service. So if you are looking for a fancy hotel with lots of amenities, this is not it, but it's nice and clean with a good location.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for giving us feedback. I apologize that you did not know that we do have a fitness center on the first floor near the TGI Friday entrance. I understand your frustration on the plastic ware we use. Unfortunately we are dictated by our Franchise on what to use. However, we do follow many "Green Hotel" practices; we recycle, we save our coffee grounds to be used for fertilizer, energy efficient lightbulbs, garbage recycling, linen reuse program, etc. Thanks again!