“Coureous staff, pleasant room, and a little something extra”

Hilton Garden Inn Flagstaff
Ranked #5 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 July 2012

After a week camping in the Grand Canyon, it was nice to have a room with air conditioning and running hot and cold water. The staff here must be used to people coming from and going to the Grand Canyon because nobody blinked an eye at either my grimy condition at check in, or at the amount of equipment I brought to the room for sorting through later.

Even though I arrived before the regular check in time, I was graciously given a room--a very nice room with lots of space. The room appeared to have been updated recently, though the room service staff kept the room so clean that I can imagine the update having taken place some time ago. The bed had controls that were supposed to customize the mattress firmness. The mattress was fine with me, so I didn't fiddle with the controls. It was nice to have a desk for working and a small sitting area, although there was only a single chair rather than a small sofa in a room with a king bed. The mini-fridge was a nice addition to the room. Above it was a small counter with a self-serve coffee machine.

The breakfast buffet (not included in the room, and about $10 per person) had a reasonable selection. Everything was somewhere between what you'd pull out of a vending machine and what you'd want from a finer restaurant. For example, the blueberries set out as a waffle topping had been previously frozen. The cut melons and pineapple appeared as though they had been processed somewhere else. Still, there were plenty of choices.

I did use the laundry (only $1 per load for washer or dryer) and the exercise room (elliptical and two treadmills, some free weights), but not the sauna or small pool. Overall, I had a pleasant stay here, and there was a little something extra I couldn't put my finger on--maybe the staff attitude or the atmosphere--something that pushed this hotel into my Very Good category.
There is some

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank n2history
HiltonFlagstaffAZ, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Dear N2History:

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback. We look for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and our breakfast selections are items we are constantly examining. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions for improving our breakfast you would like to share.

Toby Gladden
Hilton Garden Inn-Flagstaff

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

We went to Flagstaff by train - the hotel manager was nice to send the shuttle immediately to pick up and he dropped us off next day for car rental too. Quite close to station (and good for the airport too). We later realized we could have stayed in that hotel longer instead of shifting to Tusayan next night - as it is possible to "commute" to Grand Canyon right from Flagstaff - some of the river tour vans happen to pickup right from this Flagstaff hotel.

As for the hotel - exactly what you expect from a similar chain hotel, and I should mention friendly staff at the breakfast place - nice hot (full) buffet.

Room Tip: Go for the bed-and-breakfast deals.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I had a great stay on the Hilton garden in flagstaff at July/8/2012. the check in was one of the most professional I saw(and I saw many).the hotel was beautiful, great spa (pool, whirlpool and gym)the room was big, quite and efficient. I will recommend to my colleges, and I hope I'll be back to flagstaff to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank shaked p
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Very friendly front desk staff. Knowledgeable about restaurants in the area and provided great service.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Located in the heart of the downtown fast food district of Flagstaff, this Hilton offers a variety of views of Dennys, gas stations and Kohls. If you're into fast food, check this place out.

For everyone else, it is only an ~$8 cab ride from downtown and was good value for the price. If you can deal with a bed that's two levels softer than the grand canyon granite and don't need a grand view, check this place out.

Bonus: Located just steps from a drive-through liquor store.

Room Tip: Ice machine is very loud, so be sure to avoid.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Dear Barner3000:

I really appreciate your taking the time to share your disappointment with your recent stay. I want to personally apologize that the hotels views, location and beds were not what you expected.

I’m so sorry to hear you didn’t get a good night’s sleep on our Garden Sleep System bed. Were you aware it is adjustable to your personal setting? The dial is on the side of the bed. We encourage our front desk staff to tell you about the bed dial at check in. I am sorry that was not the case for you. Next time you stay with us, please ask about it. We think it will be one of the best night’s sleep you’ve ever gotten!

Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed as you were. We value you as a
guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! Please stay with us again soon so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Toby Gladden