“Ugly room and expensive”

Americana Inn - Route 66
Ranked #59 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Ugly room and expensive”
Reviewed 7 August 2011

My husband and I checked in late last night, and we got a room that looked nothing like the pictures posted on all his adds. He did say that it was the only room available due to the Cardinals game and the fact that it was the weekend. The floor was ugly carpet and the curtains had lots of holes in them. The bathroom floor was very sticky with something, I hope it wasn't urine. We paid almost $60, and I asked him for a partial refund. He then went off on me, talking about how it was the only room available and that was a fair price for that room for the weekend. To his credit, he did say that he would have refunded us if we asked within the first 30 min. He then said that I must have a lot of time on my hands to write such a review, and that I would not get any sort of refund. He said I don't care about small business owners, and that he had about $500,000 worth of bills to pay. He went on and on about how much he put into this business and then told me I wanted a free lunch. I said I did not want a free lunch, but that I did not feel like we should have paid what we did for what we got. Even if he thought I was a rude customer, I think he made things worse by his very odd behavior. It was a little scary. I get the impression that this guy does not care about his customers, only his business. Funny thing is that I thought the two went hand in hand.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Katie D
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Me and my germaphobic gf stayed here for a week. Though all the other reviews made me not want to choose this place, I gave it a shot and my stay was rather pleasant. The family that runs the place are very attentive and very nice. The town of Flagstaff is a really sweet town... I almost enjoyed it more than Sedona proper (about an hour long gorgeous drive away). I've been around the world and stayed at luxury places... this place doesn't pretend to be that... so I don't understand why the other reviews are so harsh. It was clean and it was quiet. If you needed something like extra soap or towels, you ask for it at the front desk - not write a horrid review. Perhaps the previous management was awful... but like I said, these folks were nice and attentive. See for yourself... promise it won't kill you.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Travels1982
mishawaka,in
Reviewed 26 March 2011

The young man that works the desk is absolutely delightful. His personality could easily make him a great hotel motel owner. The room was very large and very ROUTE 66 in age bear that in mind when doing the reviews. Very large.. with microwave and fridge. The room was in good repair but aged. I told him I would write a review because he said he had so many not so nice. I was thinking even a new coat of paint,Some wall paper boarder and new top mattresses would be great start. Both my mom and dad and my husband and i ended up sleeping way closer that usual lol sagging mattress. Hubby liked it by the way lol . But seriously folks not bad for the money good rule of thumb ask to see the room before you rent it .. that simple.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 17 August 2010

The room I stayed in appeared to have had a serious physical confrontation from some former guests. The front door had a plaster repair to what seemed like a hole made from some force. Inside the bathroom door had a poor stucco repair to what was clearly a hole in the door. The bathroom towel rack was bent on the wall. The bathroom screen window had a hole in it. And there were dabs of paint and stucco on the walls intended to cover something up. The mini metal blinds were damaged and allowed anyone passing by to see in the room. No curtain on window, so I put the bedspread over the curtain rod. At 8;30PM on the night I stayed there, the front desk clerk gave my room to a couple who tried to get in with the key he gave them. I was alone and yelled to them to stop trying to get in my room and go to the office. The desk clerk then pounded on my door telling me I was not registered. When I opened the door to him he recognized me and lamely apololgized. At 2AM two police cruisers woke me as they were arresting a drunk driver in the parking lot in front of my room. I wouldn't give this motel any stars. The room smelled like cigarettes covered up with cleaning solution. DON'T STAY IN THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank KSundquist
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We stayed for the price but when we got into the room after driving all day from Los Angeles, we found the lamps were not plugged in and the bathroom floor was wet from the dripping shower head facing towards the outside of the tub. (huh?) I was tempted to pull back the sheets to see if any spiders were going to pounce all over me in my sleep but didn't find any. However, the blanket had marks on it like someone cleaned their shoes with it and placed back on the bed.

The next day, I took a bath but had to clean the tub out and saw a dead roach that came up from the drain. (yuck!) The towel I used to dry myself with was the towel from the night before that was used to wipe up the water on the floor, then used as a floor mat. I didn't notice until I was done and raised it up to the light to see dirt all over it. What a drag!

There were burnt holes in the bed spread, they use flats sheets on the mattress instead of fitted, towel racks were damaged and flimsy. Overpowering disinfected odors...and you can hear the watering running from other rooms.

They do have a fridge and a microwave along with wifi...thank goodness. You do get what you pay for and only would I go back if I am down and broke!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple