All reviews historic hotel cocktail lounge ghost stories debbie reynolds freddie mercury bob hope humphrey bogart movie stars downtown flagstaff fourth floor bars and restaurants college town zane grey rendezvous jovi arizona
Reviewed 19 August 2015

I emplore everyone to listen to the trip advisor reviews for this hotel. The Monte Vista has more 1 stars than 5 stars and this is for a reason. The rooms are ridiculously small and everything about them are as such from the bathrooms to the closets and the dirty carpets. But this is not the main reason to avoid this hotel at all costs..the attitude and glorious absence of how to treat paying guests ( paying $110 for 200 square ft of space ) is the predominant reason to avoid this hotel like the plague. I pulled into the hotel at about 6 30 pm Sunday in the most limited parking I have ever seen for a hotel. I noticed I had a gas leak so I went to get my vehicle towed and fixed. When I got to my car there was a threatening note saying if I parked in this hotel ever again something regrettable would happen to me. Being a paying guest at the hotel I felt pretty disrespected. Their reasoning behind this heinous note is that they could not see the parking sticker in the dash. I asked the girl behind the desk if she knew anything about the note; without batting an eye lash she said almost proudly, " Yup. The owner of the hotel wrote it." Really? The owner of the hotel I am paying to stay at wrote an ominous anonymous threatening letter and put it on my broken down truck. My wonderful gf checked us in and was told as long as we were parked in the metered suites spaceswe would be fine. When my gf told them this they called her a liar. So instead of maybe apologizing or showing some sign of sympathy the general manager Mark Jacobs kept on making excuses. As I said, a glorious absence of knowledge on how to treat a paying guest. It's sad really..the only people affiliated with the hotel that enriched the experience was the bartending staff. So thank you rendezvous staff. I later found out that he pays bonuses to staff for finding vehicles that aren't apart of the hotel. Other reviews have stated this as well. This guy Jimmy Craven sounds about as shady as his over priced hotel. Please please please do not throw away your money for the location convenience you will regret it. What a disappointing eye sore in such a beautiful downtown.

Room Tip: there is no such thing as a room worth $110 at this hotel
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
16  Thank baltiOs
Reviewed 14 August 2015 via mobile

Sweet old hotel in bustling old downtown Flagstaff. Tons of restaurants and stuff to do nearby, quirky clean room with cable TV and mediocre Internet. Limited parking, but the staff was very accommodating. We requested a room away from the lounge and nightlife, and although it was busy downstairs it did not bother us one bit.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2015

This is a great old hotel but don't think you're getting every bell and whistle at a five star hotel. The rooms are funky with small bathrooms and showers but it has character; character, character. Located downtown close to virtually every place you would want to walk. A great dark; dive like bar to the right of the front desk with a young female bartender who should work for the tourism office. She wants to help you find the right place to eat; drink and more.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sooner7
Reviewed 9 August 2015

My brother lives in Flagstaff, this was my first visit. I was given choice by my mom (who paid) did I want grand historic or conventional hotel. I am so glad I choose grand historic. It was in the center of everything. The service was great and the coffee/bar area had what I needed in AM, coffee and sandwiches at bar at night if we didn't eat out somewhere. It is in downtown area so noise is to be expected. The room and shower area were small, but I didn't stay in room very much because outside hotel there was so much to see. The front desk was friendly and helped out anytime I asked for something not in room. I would stay again.

Room Tip: The higher the room less noise from downstairs
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2015

The hotel is a beautiful old building with a great big neon sign on top of it. There's nothing fancy about the place - if you're looking for anything more than clean, affordable 3 star accommodation, the Monte Vista probably isn't for you. If you're not hung up about staying in a quaint old room with a tiny little closet-sized bathroom and a sink outside on the bedroom wall, with a big comfortable bed and staff with a fairly laid-back attitude, the Monte Vista could be just the place you're looking for. I'd definitely stay there again if ever I'm passing through Flagstaff again. Flagstaff itself is a great little town too. I think it's a college town, going by the number of younger folk about the place. There are lots of cool eateries and cafes. The hotel itself has a cool little bar on the ground floor. The town's also home to the Lowell Observatory, where (the now dwarf planet) Pluto was first discovered. It's well worth a visit. The strip of Route 66 heading east out of town is like time travelling back to the mid-50s - it's fantastic!

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo