“a good day for learning and amusement.”

Springfield Museums
Ranked #1 of 44 things to do in Springfield
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Springfield Museums, located in the heart of downtown Springfield, Massachusetts, is comprised of four world-class museums covering art, history, and science, plus the Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 22 December 2017

I had my son and his friend. ages 8 years old . They had a very good time. We spent a good part of the day there.It was educational , amusing and fun.

All reviews
"free admission"
"nice display"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 19 December 2017

This is a National Park site that is a little different. The ranger was incredibly friendly and met us well before we ever made it to the information desk. He provided just enough information (not too much, not to little) for our interest, but it was obvious he could have gone into much more detail had we asked.

There's a lot of history here and as we continued along our vacation, visiting many other military sites in the NPS system, it was really neat to see all of the connections to the Armory across the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic. It is a bit odd in that it is situated on a community college campus.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

The wife and I came here for the Dr. Suess Museums. The rest of the museums we visited were nice in their own ways. Some of them were a bit dated and a bit unorganized, while others had great exhibits. Please keep in mind that these are not great big museums with lots and lots of money. They are small museums in an economically depressed town, and they are trying to do their best with the resources they have. If I am in the area again, I will more than willingly return and spend my money again.

Reviewed 24 November 2017

Spending $25 for 5 museums is a great deal when the museums are up to snuff. Not the case with the Springfield Museums. Yes, there was some cool artwork on display and it was fun to see some of the personal effects of Dr. Seuss, but overall the museums left much to be desired. The natural history museum, in particular, was probably one of the most outdated, decrepit and disorganized museums of its kind that I've ever seen. When you visit, keep in mind that much of the information was probably relevant several decades ago, but is now totally inaccurate. Modern science has yet to make its debut there! Also note that the Seuss museum's exhibits are largely geared toward young children. If you're an adult and not into Seuss stuff at all, might just be better off skipping it altogether.

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 November 2017

This past Sunday I went with my wife, 3 kids (ages 2, 5, and 7) and my parents for a day trip to the Springfield Museums. I have lived about an hour away for 10 years and was unfamiliar with them. I was looking for a fun family activity to get us out of the house and we had such a terrific day! The museums are just off I-91 and there was easy free parking adjacent. The offerings are really nice and diverse- the Dr. Seuss Museum, a natural history museum, two art museums, and a history museum. The museums are large enough to be able to explore and feel substantial, but small enough to not be overwhelming. The staff was friendly and helpful. We planned to cover everything, but only managed to cover two of the museums before we called it a day! It was not crowded at all when we went, which made it great for the kids to be able to see and interact with whatever they wanted. The easy parking made it convenient for us to take a break, have lunch off site, and return for more fun. We definitely plan to return! Please note the Dr. Seuss museum has timed tickets, so you may want to purchase them online in advance. Also, if you're a Bank of America customer, the museums participate in the Museums on Us program where the first weekend of the month, B of A customers can get free admission.

Been to Springfield Museums? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK