All reviews fishing trip fish processing halibut enthusiastic staff taking care king salmon hard working captain and deck hand side note rock fish great fishing my dad these guys the entire staff fishing boats full kitchen three days
Reviewed 23 May 2016

From the welcoming smile at the airport till the hugs at our departure, our trip was a total success. Our group of 6 found the accommodations in the Strawberry Suites immaculate, comfortable and identical to photos online. All in-room amenities and daily servicing made returning from a long day fishing all the more comfortable. During our stay, the routine of the day was thoughtfully already planned and awaiting us. Even the day’s meals are posted first thing in the morning. Among our group of older novice anglers, my wife was appreciative of laundry services, on boat toilet and the patience of all staff on deck. Our fishing hours were split between rock fish, halibut and salmon in some of the most tranquil and picturesque scenes anywhere. No one in our group walked the town but there is a grocery retailer just up the hill for those forgotten incidentals. At the end of our stay, we were reunited at the airport for the first time with our smartly packed yields. My many thanks for our family’s memories.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

I spent 5 days at the lodge with a group that travels frequently. When I called Theresa, the owner, she remained flexible to our needs on arrival dates to last minute dinner reservations and probably one of the cheapest places in town to stay (if available).

Upon arrival, Ana was at the airport to tag everyone's bags and offered to load everything in the van. After the five minute drive to the lodge, she unloaded all of the bags and delivered them to our rooms while we checked in.

Theresa met us inside the lodge and the paperwork for our entire group was laid out on the table for our review before paying. Everything was just as I was told when making the reservations. The even had fresh baked cookies and brownies waiting for us.

When I made it to the 3 room house I was staying in, it looked fantastic, modern but still comfortable for a fishing lodge. We found our bags in our rooms upon arrival and the house had two full baths, laundry room, full kitchen and the living room was complete with computers, wifi, cable tv, and seating for at least 12, which worked great for group meetings at night.

The next morning at breakfast, the lodge chef (James) has a spread that was to die for. Omelets stuffed with fresh king salmon, blue berry pancakes, bacon, toast, oatmeal and so much more. If that sounds good, the dinners always consisted of appetizers, soup and salad, fresh bread, two seafood entrees and one non seafood entree every night. Oh, did I mention the best desserts I have ever tasted, oh my.

I could go on and on about the service from beginning to end but I think you get the point here. Outstanding service and I will defiantly return. We didn't get a chance to use their charter boats due to work, but the stories we were hearing from other clients made me jealous.

Theresa, thanks again to you and you amazing staff!!!

Wes

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Helodude
Reviewed 16 March 2016

My wife and I wanted to visit Sitka and found this lodge online. We called and actually spoke with Teresa the owner and she was so charming on the phone we booked what is usually a very busy place for fishing excursions in the summer but a quaint, quiet and relaxing respite in early spring. Teresa and her husband are just as charming and helpful in person. They go so much farther than the second mile in making sure your stay is great. If you love to fish, this is the place to be and a great getaway in off season as well. We highly recommend the Wild Strawberry Lodge.

Room Tip: Great sunsets over the harbor.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2015

The lodge operation was excellent. Food, lodging, friendliness of the lodge staff, etc. Excellent fish processing and handling of shipping of fish, compliance with regulations, etc. The room was fine, as well as room service.
Fishing was very good overall. Great boats and equipment. It was obvious that the skipper and deckhand knew the fishing operation. But I was starting getting flak from some of the people, more and more as the trip progressed.
There were 5 of us fishing and the other 4 anglers came as a group, having fished with the same skipper and possibly the deckhand before. I was treated more and more like an outsider as time went on. I felt like I was being watched like a hawk, more and more every move got critiqued unlike the other anglers. Unfortunately I mentioned to the deckhand on the first day that I used to work in fisheries regulation and I am sure that instituted a bias. From that point on the deckhand had a few snide remarks about what I was. On the 3rd day the deckhand reminded me about not bringing my fishing weight aboard. That is fine, I respect that. However, the skipper immediately jumped in and gave me a stern 5 minute lecture like I was a complete idiot, in the presence of the other anglers of course. I am sure other anglers do not always handle the fishing weights exactly the way they were supposed to and are not similarly criticized. I was really looking forward to catching coho. The deckhand made a point of cranking down my drag with the goal to horse the coho in as quickly as possible, which was interesting because there were only 5 of us fishing and we usually didn’t have more than one coho on at once. Odd that he was so vigilant about that but acted “put out” when rebaiting my hooks. When I finally caught a king salmon on the last day nobody said a word to me from the time that the fish was hooked until after it was netted. Stone, cold silence – that was really incredible. The other anglers were getting the “nice fish, “good job” etc. and other kudos from the boat staff. The halibut fishing was excellent. However, it was not fun when on the last day two of the other anglers were constantly demanding that I keep cranking on my halibut at the same pace, even when it was making a run. Honestly, I was relieved when the fish got to the surface.
Thankfully, two of the other fisherman on board were really nice to me throughout, which was really appreciated. At the end, I tipped the boat crew as much as the other guys did since I am a team player. I also bit my tongue throughout the week to keep the peace, even after absorbing more flak from one of the anglers on the day of departure. There is no question that most of the Wild Strawberry operation is great. But the way that I was treated was uncalled for . . . . . . . .

Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
14  Thank Bird1213
Reviewed 12 August 2015

Having been to Alaska six times and fished and vacationed at a variety of lodges and locations, I really can recommend without reservation this outstandingly organized lodging/fishing experience. Which does not mean you should arrive without a reservation :-)! Having been at this business for over 25 years, the folks at wild strawberry lodge have got it down pat and from airport pick up to Fish Processing they have it all well covered and organized.

Room Tip: Book well in advance. Accommodations are not luxurious but clean and quite adequate for a fishing/lodging vacation. Many repeat anglers!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple