All reviews coho salmon brought home yellow eye fish filet king salmon repeat customers flight home return trip four days boxes downriggers mist pounds freezer kings lbs
Reviewed 18 August 2017

OUTSTANDING. This was our first family gathering in several years and Kingfisher did a great job of taking care of my families needs on this trip. My dad (mid 70s), myself and my sons (13 and 17) went on the Mist with Capt Don for four days of great fishing. We told Capt Don that this was our first time and that we were there for the experience, not necessarily the fishing. Capt Don was exceptional with teaching us the ropes and making sure our goals for the trip were exceeded. We fished as long as we wanted and came in early everyday for some family time, yet brought home 91 lbs of fish a piece (coho [silvers], halibut and rockfish).

Don did a great job with knowing where to go each day - we caught our limits each day in silvers in about 3 hours (except the last day when working in 20 ft swells). Don also made jigging for rockfish so much fun my boys raced to see who would catch their limit the fastest. On the last day, we caught our limits of rockfish in 20 minutes. Don also made sure we have halibut stores to share forever.

Quick halibut story - my dad was reeling in a halibut that was fighting, but not that bad. All a sudden, bam! The fish starts tugging and putting up a huge fight. Capt Don realized this was either a sea lion or shark attack. He created enough noise in the water that the shark let go and we were able to reel the halibut on board, missing 1/3 of it's body (See photo).

As for the lodge - don't go there thinking you will lose weight. The food is incredible. If you walk away from the table hungry, it's your fault. From the sandwiches on board the boat, to the crazy appetizers, to the main course and deserts, the food is fantastic. Bed are very comfortable, hot showers, laundry, careful drivers, wifi access for those that need to stay connected to work or social media...this place has everything you want.

Room tip: Pack light and use the washers in the room. We packed heavy because we didn't know they had such good facilities.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Flew into Sitka from Juneau from Virginia, was picked up at airport and taken to lodge. The staff (ladies) were extremely helpful and professional. They explained every detail that one might require.

Rides into town and airport were all great and on time. The Lodge was clean and comfortable, as a solo traveler I was given a room to my self the first night then shared with one other. The rest of the Goat Lodge room mates were all there to catch fish and were friendly as well. Worth noting many were repeat customers.

The food was excellent (I am a foodie) and had good choices and pretty much as much as you could eat.

Now the about the fishing; I was assigned to the Mist and Capt Don. The boat had three other fish mates, so it was about the right size. We had two downriggers which is where most of the fish were caught and at depths of about 30-50 feet. We caught our limits of coho (silvers) and a total of 6 halibut over the three days. Also caught a one day limit of rock fish. What sucked about this trip was Alaska Fish and Game shut the King Salmon season down the day I arrived. The next day I caught and released several Kings the biggest was over 40 lbs. The fish are processed every night, when I left for home I had 85 lbs total and spent night in Juneau, the hotels have freezers to hold your fish. The airport took check baggage both boxes free of charge all the way back to VA. I left Juneau at 5:30 am and had a delay in Charlotte of 6 hrs, when I got home 95% of fish were still frozen, and the ones that were not were refrozen, (still cold enough<40 degrees).

The weather: Was nice the first two days over all with some rain day two. Day three the wind hit and blew 12 knots with 10 foot swells. This did put a bit of a hit on us production wise. Distances traveled ever day was a good 1-1 1/2 each way out and back. It would have been nice to have been closer, but it is Alaska after all.

The scenery: The views were spectacular, old dormant volcanoes, lava tubes along the shore line, whales swimming by etc. absolutely beautiful.

The town is quaint, shops cater to tourist and can be expensive, but one looks hard enough, one can find good deals on art etc. The Raptor and totem pole facilities are worth checking out to see eagles and native art.

Will likely return, except I want to see more of the state as well, over all highly recommend the Lodge.

Room tip: could consider staying in town at Westmark, but would pay out etc.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank James T
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Fished 4 days - Aug 2 thru 5. Outstanding facilities, super organized. Rooms clean and comfortable. Came home with 76 lbs of salmon and halibut filets. Only complaint was our captain did not do as well as others on a total catch basis.
Some minor suggestions: put more coat hangers in closets and add more towel racks in the bathroom.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 6907Pete
Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

Did a 3 day fishing package in Sitka in June. Had a great guide and caught 85 pounds of filets. Halibut, King Salmon, Coho Salmon and a few Yellow Eye.
This lodge is very well organized and the food is pretty good. The lodge handles a lot of people and can also accommodate pretty large groups. I would come back !

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

Wow! Just wow! Friends invited me to join them for 4 days of fishing in Sitka Alaska. Our entire experience was orchestrated by the folks at Kingfisher Charters and I literally cannot say enough about how perfect was every aspect. They thought of everything! ...from great lodging, fine dining, an incredible captain and boat for just the four of us and the friendly camaraderie among all the guests and staff, to the excellent service provided at every opportunity. And I haven't even mentioned yet core attraction: the beauty of Alaska and pure joy of being out on the water... and the amazing fish we brought home. We arrived a few days early and explored Sitka too. Pricey but worth every penny!

Date of stay: June 2017