All reviews coho salmon brought home yellow eye fish filet king salmon repeat customers flight home before dinner return trip four days boxes downriggers mist pounds freezer kings
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Flew into Sitka from Juneau from Virginia, was picked up at airport and taken to lodge. The staff (ladies) were extremely helpful and professional. They explained every detail that one might require.

Rides into town and airport were all great and on time. The Lodge was clean and comfortable, as a solo traveler I was given a room to my self the first night then shared with one other. The rest of the Goat Lodge room mates were all there to catch fish and were friendly as well. Worth noting many were repeat customers.

The food was excellent (I am a foodie) and had good choices and pretty much as much as you could eat.

Now the about the fishing; I was assigned to the Mist and Capt Don. The boat had three other fish mates, so it was about the right size. We had two downriggers which is where most of the fish were caught and at depths of about 30-50 feet. We caught our limits of coho (silvers) and a total of 6 halibut over the three days. Also caught a one day limit of rock fish. What sucked about this trip was Alaska Fish and Game shut the King Salmon season down the day I arrived. The next day I caught and released several Kings the biggest was over 40 lbs. The fish are processed every night, when I left for home I had 85 lbs total and spent night in Juneau, the hotels have freezers to hold your fish. The airport took check baggage both boxes free of charge all the way back to VA. I left Juneau at 5:30 am and had a delay in Charlotte of 6 hrs, when I got home 95% of fish were still frozen, and the ones that were not were refrozen, (still cold enough<40 degrees).

The weather: Was nice the first two days over all with some rain day two. Day three the wind hit and blew 12 knots with 10 foot swells. This did put a bit of a hit on us production wise. Distances traveled ever day was a good 1-1 1/2 each way out and back. It would have been nice to have been closer, but it is Alaska after all.

The scenery: The views were spectacular, old dormant volcanoes, lava tubes along the shore line, whales swimming by etc. absolutely beautiful.

The town is quaint, shops cater to tourist and can be expensive, but one looks hard enough, one can find good deals on art etc. The Raptor and totem pole facilities are worth checking out to see eagles and native art.

Will likely return, except I want to see more of the state as well, over all highly recommend the Lodge.

Room tip: could consider staying in town at Westmark, but would pay out etc.
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank James T
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Fished 4 days - Aug 2 thru 5. Outstanding facilities, super organized. Rooms clean and comfortable. Came home with 76 lbs of salmon and halibut filets. Only complaint was our captain did not do as well as others on a total catch basis.
Some minor suggestions: put more coat hangers in closets and add more towel racks in the bathroom.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 6907Pete
Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

Did a 3 day fishing package in Sitka in June. Had a great guide and caught 85 pounds of filets. Halibut, King Salmon, Coho Salmon and a few Yellow Eye.
This lodge is very well organized and the food is pretty good. The lodge handles a lot of people and can also accommodate pretty large groups. I would come back !

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

Wow! Just wow! Friends invited me to join them for 4 days of fishing in Sitka Alaska. Our entire experience was orchestrated by the folks at Kingfisher Charters and I literally cannot say enough about how perfect was every aspect. They thought of everything! ...from great lodging, fine dining, an incredible captain and boat for just the four of us and the friendly camaraderie among all the guests and staff, to the excellent service provided at every opportunity. And I haven't even mentioned yet core attraction: the beauty of Alaska and pure joy of being out on the water... and the amazing fish we brought home. We arrived a few days early and explored Sitka too. Pricey but worth every penny!

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank cjwill16
Reviewed 4 June 2017

My husband planned this family trip for him and his two boys. Somehow I found myself reluctantly saying yes to going. It was one of the most memorable life time experiences I have had. Every member of the lodge staff was outstanding. They (meaning the staff) took care of every little detail (seriously- every detail) so all we had to do was get up in the morning and after eating a great breakfast, was to go fishing. Lunch of designer sandwiches with chips and oversized cookies were provided for lunch, appetizers delivered to our room before dinner and upscale quality meal provided every evening. The fishing was great. We caught our limits every day, our fish was packed and ready to check in at the airport upon our departure. Our captain Dave and his black lab Ranger made certain we enjoyed the best fishing experience one could hope for.

Room tip: The lodge units: large flat screen, comfy sofas, dining area, full on kitchen. each bedroom had its own full bath room and w/d
Date of stay: May 2017