“Not Bad for the Price”

Ranked #10 of 14 Luray B&B and Inns
Alexandria, VA
“Not Bad for the Price”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The bed and breakfast I had planned to stay at was full - so I drove from Washington, VA to Luray looking for a reasonable place to spend the night - the sign "Vets Welcome" drew me in. I realized from the outward appearance of this property that I would not be spending the night at the Ritz-Carlton, however, I was greeted by an extremely pleasant and helpful young woman who was in charge of the front desk who charged me $59.95 for the night - total with tax was $65.95. The room was a bit run down, but clean and functional. There was absolutely no evidence of bedbugs or any other insects (as noted in previous reviews) and I did indeed check for them - very thoroughly. The bed was comfortable and I slept well. In the morning they offer coffee and pastries. Sooooo - if you are not fussy and are looking for a reasonable place to spend a night in downtown Luray on the main drag - this motel should work for you.

Room Tip: I would think all of the rooms are about the same in this proerty.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I'm a thru-hiker and i was just making a stop in Luray looking for a place to spend the night. Having been camping for a couple days by myself, i thought i would head into some sort of civilization to stock up and just mess around. I read the reviews for this place and they were all horrifying, but i didn't really wanna spend that much money and i figured ive already been in the wilderness with all sorts of bugs and whatnot, so i'd check it out anyway - it was definitely the cheapest place i'd heard of and they offered a hiker discount, so why not? i asked to check out a room before i rented it and to be honest, it wasn't as bad as i expected. there was a orange-like smell in the room and and it was pretty clean. they had just installed wi-fi, and that was on the fritz (not working), and the bathroom was small, but other than that, there was nothing i could really complain about. i would say by the outside appearance, this place might look unappealing, but inside the rooms, its just like anyplace else pretty much. i'd recommend it to anyone looking for an inexpensive overnight stay in a ridiculously small mountain town.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank monstarr1990
Amenia, NY
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Ok, so for the price I did not expect much, all I really needed was a bed and a shower. But the bed was loaded with bed bugs!!! I slept but woke up with bites all over me. Disgusting! I have stayed in much nicer rooms for the same price. This place was shoddy and falling apart. That part didnt bother me so much, but bedbugs were just too much. Seeing that the owners drove nice BMW's, it's clear that their priorities were not cleanliness of rooms!! Spend a few extra bucks and leave this place alone!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Luray hotels

Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Filthy place smelled funny. Linoleum "tiles" covered walls which were falling apart. Linoleum floors covered who knows what. Sink was filthy and falling of the wall. Then as soon as I laid down, I started stratching, legs, chest, neck, everywhere. I was stratching one side on my neck and felt a distinct bite on the other side. I jumped up to see a bedbug dashing into a crease on the pillow. Didn't sleep the whole night. I was repacking everything into plastic bags. The smell must have been bedbugs.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 May 2009

I was definitely led by my pocketbook on this one. I kind of regret it. Arrived in Luray at 11pm, needing a simple place to sleep. $45/night. Nice! And it looked relatively secure. The Best Western is right next door. I assumed it would be 2x as much. As I walked in the room and turned on the light, I noticed an extremely smokey flavor/odor in the air (non-smoking room. maybe it's on a night-by-night basis??). Then I saw the roach on the ceiling. Not one of the big nasty ones, but a roach none-the-less. After killing that w/ the phone book, I was about to go back and get my money back to go next door. But I didn't. The shower was okay. Hardwood floors. The sheets seemed clean enough. Good TV channel selection. If it were a bit cleaner, I would stay there again. But just a little too much on the creepy-crawly side for a return stay or recommendation. Nothing else was all that bad, but I felt kind of gross all night. Oh. And the window in the bathroom didn't lock. In fact, is was slightly ajar. That was creepy. It was a small-ish window, so would be difficult to get in, but someone could pretty easily. That's pretty creepy, too.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
2.1 km away
11.0 km away
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park

Been to Budget Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK