“Aggravating to say the least” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Luray Zoo - A Rescue Zoo

Luray Zoo - A Rescue Zoo
Ranked #7 of 29 things to do in Luray
More attraction details
Owner description: Luray zoo does not maintain this sight this is a third party sight for accurate information on hours etc see website
Gates, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Aggravating to say the least”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

The collection of animals is nice, however, we were closely followed by the owner & it was menacing to say the least. He is very rude & obviously biased towards certain animals, demeaning any light conversation and not leaving us to enjoy his establishment. It was not a pleasant experience & we would rather have avoided it altogether in retrospect.

Visited February 2012
3 Thank TheMitchells21112
Lurayrescuezoo, Owner at Luray Zoo - A Rescue Zoo, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
The overwhelming majority of visitors enjoy my presents while touring the zoo. The visitor gets to learn about the animals from the one who works with them and gets to hear the individual stories about any of the animals the visitor wants to know about. I’m honest and to the point when talking to people about the animals in our care and I always promote responsible animal husbandry.

Mark Kilby & Christine Kilby Owners of luray zoo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Orange, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Mark and his wife and crew have done an excellent job putting this place together, and rescuing some animals that no one else could rescue; alligators and monkeys and bobcats and turtles...plus many more...you will see some very different creatures here, and have a great tour. Please be generous with your donations!

Lurayrescuezoo, Owner at Luray Zoo - A Rescue Zoo, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit! We really appreciate the poitive feedback. Hope to see you agian in the future!

Thanks
Mark&Christine Kilby Owners of Luray Zoo
Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Personal Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

Rainy day visit and we got a personal tour of the zoo. Very knowledgeable staff and wonderful animals. Will be returning again and again.

Visited November 2011
Annapolis, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great little zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

Great place to stop . The kids love the petting zoo!l

Visited November 2011
Virginia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Admire this place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

I love animals and I appreciate this place. It is the first time I have seen kookaburra up close; or have pet a kangaroo. I am not into reptiles but the exhibit seemed interesting for someone who is. I loved the petting zoo and the friendly goats and yaks. I DO wish the employees were a bit sunnier. It is not that they were impolite or unpleasant; there was just a gloominess that my have been part of the overcast day. There was a place to wash your hands but no towels, not the best for a windy cool day. The employee said they do not provide towels because kids throw them on the ground. She left us to find the hand sanitizer ourselves. If they worked for me I would say smile, be cheery, be helpful, and rake up those leaves! BTW there is a beautiful tiger on display and quite a few unusual owls and other birds; plus a few monkeys. I am glad I stopped, but if you do not have kids and do not like reptiles, your stop will be a short one.

Visited October 2011
2 Thank THELUCKYCAT
LurayZoo, Owner at Luray Zoo - A Rescue Zoo, responded to this review, 6 November 2011
Here at Luray Zoo we rake our leaves up on a daily bases, during the fall it is hard to keep up when them. As for the paper towels you spoke to me Christine the owner of Luray Zoo. I do not have paper towels because kids do throw them on the ground or toss them into animal cages. I always help a customer, if they need hand sanitizer it is located right on top of the gift shop cash register counter were I always point out to all customers. As for not being sunny I have had the flu so I apologize for being gloomy. Also my husband Mark and I do care for over 250 animals with minimum staff during the off season, so we apologize for not being very sunny sometimes, our day starts at 5 am and ends around midnight so I apologize that you toured on a day with no employees and that we could not have made your trip better.

Christine Kilby owner