“We enjoyed Moonshadows”

Moonshadows Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 44 Restaurants in Luray
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 30
Description: Moonshadows Restaurant is the newest and most unique restaurant located in downtown Luray, Virginia. Much time and thought have been given to providing a location which offers beautiful surroundings with the comfort of the guests in mind. The building has undergone a complete renovation resulting in an upscale restaurant environment offering versatile inside and outside dining options and a rustic blend of international cuisines.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

The food was inventive and well presented. In this area, it was a nice alternative with plenty of vegetable dishes, vegan and gluten free options abounded. I had the sirloin with chimichurri sauce and my husband enjoyed his short ribs. The kids said it was the best mac and cheese they ever had. The mushroom pate appetizer was particularly delicious. One caveat, this is not a fast moving restaurant. You are meant to be enjoying a quiet meal and relaxing so make a reservation or expect a wait. Staff was pleasant and atmosphere was lovely. I have had better food, but that's in fine dining cities. This good was much better than average and well prepared.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I suppose given the limited options in Luray, Moonshadows is worth a visit. Don’t expect anything extraordinary though. My wife and I stopped in on a Friday evening for dinner without a reservation and were seated right away. Service was mediocre. Drinks and refills and generally everything was not really speedy. I ordered the mushroom paté as an appetizer and it was the best dish served all evening. My wife ordered ceviche and it was inedible. As an entree I had the amber jack filet. It wasn’t cooked badly, but it was very bland. My wife ordered some beef ribs which really were...interesting....like pumpkin pie flavored ribs. The meat was fall off the bone tender. Dessert was a strawberry shortcake. Skip it. The shortcake was very dry and heavy and even with berries along with it managed to turn into an unpleasant dry lump at every bite. Really needed about 2-3x the strawberries to be able to be a decent ratio of cake to berries. At the end of it all....we spent the better part of $100 on dinner for 2 and left still hungry and rather disappointed with the place.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Nice presentation. Mediocre at best food. Waitress with an attitude. Guest bathroom closed. Why go here?

Date of visit: March 2018
Maureen M, General Manager at Moonshadows Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Thank you for your review of your dining experience at our restaurant. I am glad that you enjoyed the presentation and would like to know what your entrée choice was. Our serving staff is guided to always be respectful of our guests so it is a disappointment that your server was not as you would have liked. We have two bathrooms that we utilize downstairs and yes one was out of order but the second was offered to our guests as an alternative. We always strive to provide a memorable dining experience and wish that your time with us was what you had hoped for.

Maureen Moss
Moonshadows Restaurant

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

I live in Northern Virginia but have a 2nd log home in the mountains near Luray. I am accustomed to fine dining, having entertained high end commercial clients in fine restaurants in most large American cities. I am so pleased that Luray now has a restaurant that serves high quality meals, excellent service from well trained and polite wait staff and attention to detail. White linen table clothes, nice lighting and renovated interior. Winter menu is somewhat limited but all entrees are excellent. Chef allows some deviation from menu selections for potatoes and vegetables. Highly recommend for either couples or families.

Date of visit: March 2018
Maureen M, General Manager at Moonshadows Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Thank you for your glowing review. Our guests and their experience are of utmost importance to us so when we read a review such as yours it gives us the pride and satisfaction that we are headed in the right direction. I have enjoyed meeting you and your wife and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 28 February 2018

One of the nicer restaurants in Luray, with a creative menu and quaint setting. Service was a bit slow since it was a new restaurant when we ate there. Portions were small and it was overpriced, in my opinion.

Date of visit: July 2017

Been to Moonshadows Restaurant? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK