All reviews sequoia np continental breakfast spacious room retro fireplace coffeemaker porch ice
Reviewed 18 July 2018

We got to the lodge late evening. The first surprise was that the breakfast supposed to be served at 8:00 AM which is unusual. Most of the people who will go to the national parks leave early to avoid traffic. By cutting an hour from the serving time, lodge can save some money but a hungry hiker will not be a happy hiker. The room was facing west and it was very hot. we had to leave the windows and doors open for a while and then turn the AC on. AC could not keep up with the heat. The noise from the AC and passing traffic in the main road as well as the heat did end up with a very uncomfortable night. unfortunately could not cancel the reservation for the following night, it was paid already. I noticed that the AC did not have filter and the cooling coil was almost blocked completely. Looks like it has not been cleaned up for years (picture below). There were two low voltage lamp by the side of the bed but nothing over the small desk. To see the keyboard of my computer I had to use my hiking light (picture below). It looked like there was another resident in the room, in the picture below you can see the spider web on the ceiling. The valve of the shower was not functioning which was a headache. The shower area was not clean (picture is attached). For the money that was spend it really did not worth it. Should get another motel, well a lesson to learn.

Room Tip: Call before you get there and ask staff to turn on AC. AC was old and not cooling
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

This place don't even worth the one star ! I booked it only bc of the reviews and based on photos. In real life I left the first five minutes after I checked in ! 150$ per night for this horrible location and room, NO WAY !
5 minutes and we killed two cockroaches and the reception asked if they were alive or in the trash, like it makes any difference.
The shower head is so low... I'm 5.5 and it was my chest hieght.

STAY AWAY !!!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

The picture on TripAdvisor doesn’t represent this place at all. I cannot begin to think how $140 a night is justified by this hotel. It is run down but felt quant. A waste of money if you need more than a mattress to sleep on. The kids wouldn’t get into the pool and were frightened by the amount of spiders in the room. Somehow there were no vacancy it must have been the amazing WiFi service. Breakfast smelt good but we just wanted to check out and go.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here one night when we were visiting Sequoia National Park. It was a much more affordable option than some of the resorts nearby or the lodges within the park. I also really really loved the bear print sheets and bedspreads that were in the pictures online.

The lobby of the hotel is old motel/lodge chic. I think it hasn’t been updated since the 60s really and I kind of love that. I actually wish the hotel would lean into that a little more, they could make a lot more money if they did. If they made things 60s throw back chic as opposed to “we have just simply not updated this place since the 60’s.” The woman behind the desk was lovely. She was very friendly, helped us get signed into the WiFi, and recommended a book for my husband to read from their collection.

The room is bare minimum. There is no art on the walls that, there is a TV and a small table, a fridge, a coffee maker, a small area to hang things, shampoo and body wash and small bars of soap in the bathroom. There were no bed spreads and sheets with bears on it in our room so I was. a bit disappointed by that truthfully. They did offer two bottles of water on top of the fridge which was so nice. There was coffee packs and tea packets for the coffee maker. There was a sign on the bathroom door explaining that there was a fee if towels were taken and that pool towels were available behind the front desk in the lobby. I wish lotion was offered in the rooms in addition to the shampoo and body wash and soap. We chose a room with a balcony which offered great views of the sun setting over the mountains at night. I was surprised by the lack of stars we could see but I suppose there was too much light pollution. Probably would have had to be in the park for great star views.

The free breakfast in the morning is not great but I suppose it’s something. They offer orange slices, stale pastries, what I think was Tang or something similar, sugary instant oatmeal, coffee and tea. They should really think about putting just a tiny bit more effort into this if it is going to be offered. If they don’t want to, they should probably just offer coffee and tea honestly.

The price was right and the location was perfect. I really enjoyed being in this very small town. The staff were nice here, along with everyone we came in contact with from the town.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

This old place is rundown and showing its age but there is good news: There is a new owner who cares and is making improvements.
And the rooms are clean, the staff is helpful and the price is right. We paid $129.
The “continental” breakfast is sparse and uninviting. We skipped it and picked up some goodies at the local grocery store.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple