See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

My husband had booked the cottage. He wanted a peaceful place to take his family. He passed away. He never had a chance to see how beautiful the surroundings and the cottage is. It took me a year to get the courage to take the kids. I am grateful that I did. It's beautiful, peaceful and cozy. It might not be for everyone but if you want a cozy, comfortable, peaceful place. Cort cottage is your place.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2017

When you try to get information from this woman to view her cottage she will ask for your credit card before she will send you information. Her instructions to you will be when you get my email just respond. Just hit respond. With that, there is a $268.50 nonrefundable deposit. My credit card company gave me back the money but it was a fight. They credited me $200 so she only got $68.50 out of me. Lesson well learned… But shame on you Ms. Cort.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 12 July 2017

This is the first time in thirty years of offering the cottage to guests that this has happened–a person questioning the cancellation policy and writing a negative, inaccurate review about Cort Cottage concerning it (even though it was not mentioned in this review). The cancellation policy is stated clearly on the cottage website, where is says to “Please read carefully so you will be fully informed”. It is also stated on the reservation confirmation form emailed to all guests when the reservation is made.

This person is entitled to her opinion about what happened and I am sorry she is upset about it. I do not agree with her actions and I deeply regret that I am having to respond to this kind of seriously misleading review about Cort Cottage. She states that I require a credit card number before I give a person any information about the cottage. This is not true. A credit card is only requested when a person calls to officially make a reservation. After verifying the dates and the number of guests, I ask for name, address, phone number, credit card information (for the deposit) and an email to mail the reservation confirmation form.

This person writing this review made an official reservation. She never stayed at the cottage. We never met in person. She made her reservation for the cottage by telephone, like most people do unless they are contacting me from out of the country and we communicate by email. This person and I talked twice (both phone calls were very cordial), the first time to answer many questions she had about making the reservation and the second time when she called back a few hours later to officially make her reservation, telling me it was a special occasion for her two friends who were coming with her from Georgia. A deposit for half of her total reservation amount was charged to her credit card at the time she made the reservation..

When the confirmation email is sent for a reservation, the guest is asked to reply to the email and to make sure everything is correct on the confirmation pdf file that goes with the email and to make sure that they actually got the pdf file, which also includes a map and directions to the cottage. This person did that. She is lying in this review when she says that she was asked to "hit respond” without knowing what was in the email. This email includes lots of helpful information, along with the attached pdf file.

When she cancelled, she did not talk with me personally, she left a message on the answering machine and made no mention of the cancellation policy at the time. As soon as I discovered her message, I immediately replied to her via email with a cancellation confirmation that stated she had a $268.50 credit (the amount of her deposit for half of her total reservation) for a future stay, as stated in the cancellation policy. She did not reply to this email or contest the cancellation policy until several weeks later. She did this by email only and did not call me to talk with me about it. When I, again, reminded her of the cancellation policy that gave her a credit for a future stay, she waited a while longer and initiated a credit card report which took almost two months to review after I sent in all the evidence I had for her officially making a reservation at the cottage.

The present cancellation policy for the cottage is a standard, serious policy for vacation rental properties and has been in place for several decades without any problems. The cottage is not like a motel, where people can drive by and fill a vacancy at the last minute. I have had a few guests who had to cancel their original reservation dates and reschedule the reservation using their deposit credit. In fact, one such guest is coming tomorrow after having to cancel her original reservation due to a major illness for her husband last year.

My wish for this person who submitted this review has always been that she would have chosen to reschedule her reservation and come on her own, even if her Georgia friends had changed their plans and could not come. She lived a few hours away in Southern California and it would have been fairly easy for her to come at another time. During our first phone call, we had shared stories about both being nurses, me having worked in the past as a home health nurse and she presently working as a hospice nurse. I know how stressful and hard that job is and I had hoped she could have enjoyed a break coming to the cottage and going up to the Park to see the Big Trees.

I sincerely hope this lengthy reply to this unusual review of the cottage will help future guests to get a clear picture of what happened. I offer the cottage as a service to people, to give them a pleasant, comfortable place to enjoy nature and take a break from their busy lives. I do not feel ashamed about any of my hard work in doing so or for the long, established policies for the cottage. I am grateful for it as a form of “right livelihood” to support me, especially now that I have retired from nursing. I am an honest, thoughtful and caring person. I do my best.
—from Elsah Cort, owner (and only "employee") of Cort Cottage

Reviewed 17 April 2017

As soon as you walk through the trellis down the path to the cottage, you know you are in for a real treat. Elsah Cort has done an excellent job of creating a space that is both functional and tranquil. The kitchen is equipped with all you could ever need. We loved the sunken shower, and bathroom items that we couldn't bring on the plane were amply provided. Inside and out, Cort Cottage gives the feeling of being truly in the thick of nature. We spent early mornings planning our day trips to Sequoia National Park, basking in the sunshine, looking out towards the hillsides and mountains and loving the resident wren hiding in the grapevines. Elsah is a wonderful host, greeting you when you arrive, filling you in on the area, answering your questions and yet letting you have your privacy.
Our stay at Cort Cottage was most memorable.

Room tip: This isn't a hotel. It is a cottage
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Diane F
Reviewed 19 July 2016

My husband and I stayed at Cort Cottage in April. We had booked for the previous summer but an unforeseen medical emergency necessitated rebooking, and Elsah was very generous to allow us to do so. Traveling in April was wonderful. The cottage is only a short drive to the entrance of the park, which was cool, if not cold, in places, and air was very clean. We did not need the AC as it was early in the season.
The cottage itself was very homey. Lots of yummy food, eggs, breads, and tea awaited us, and we brought food for dinner and lunch, stopping at Trader Joe's in Valencia en route to the cottage. I loved browsing the books. The view of the mountains was so peaceful. We also enjoyed walking on the public land path just to the left out of the driveway each morning as we got over our jetlag. Elsah did everything to insure that our stay was good and relaxing and she even gave us tips on which trails to enjoy in the park.

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica B
Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

Wonderful little cottage in beautiful surroundings. Everything you need is there, the cottage is charming and totally clean. The breakfast is very good and Elsah is so nice to talk to and she answered our questions both before and during our stay. She's made the cottage so cozy and warm. Three Rivers is a nice community and the cottage is perfect to do excursions from into Sequoia. I really recommend Cort cottage!

Date of stay: June 2016