New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza

Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza
Ranked #19 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Avoid Until the Construction Is Completed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Ugh. We recently stayed at the Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza, selecting it in part based on good reviews and its location. The experience would have been fine, had it not been for the massive construction project going on at the hotel when we arrived. There was no indication on the web site that construction was ongoing, or that it would mean several amenities -- including the year-round pool, hot tub and outdoor fire place would be unavailable -- much less that there would be enough dust outside our room to set off the fire alarm. It took several calls to the front desk to get the hotel to simply seal off the construction doors less than 10 feet from our assigned hotel room, despite the obvious hazard. Frankly, I'm not even sure why they would have booked guests into rooms so close to the construction area. The hotel did finally allow us to move to an identical room further from the dust cloud, but needless to say it was not the visit we expected.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed as far from the construction dust as possible.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank washingtondcgirl
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Room was relatively big in size to spread around all the ski clothes and bags, Big TV in the room. Lobby is very good with a fireplace that was always running. Reception staff are very helpful. Hotel is very close to all attractions in city and close to plaza. Morning breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Parnassus1
Bluffton, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

This hotel is within walking distance of most of the historic areas in Santa Fe and also many restaurants. We had good breakfasts every morning while we were there and enjoyed sitting in front of the fireplace relaxing with the mulled cider which was available in the late afternoons

Room Tip: We were on the lower level with direct access to the pool, even tho it was not open when we were the...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Alice W
Bribie Island, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,111 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

We've stayed here a few times - over the past 10 years. Well positioned and quite safe. Easy for driving and walking about the town A block or so from the markets. Close to top restaurants. BUT - watch which room they try to give you. Top Floor is best - basement - lower floor - is not. So book and get a room upstairs. The difference is remarkable.

We had one - upstairs - with a lovely view down the main area - but we had to "fight" with the desk to get it. Plenty of rooms available - they just couldn't be bothered changing us. All the usual excuses - but when we sat in the foyer - with bags - and said we'd wait, a room in a great spot materialised immediately. Why do you have to get angry to get what you pay for ?

We are very good members of the Hilton's "Club" and still had to argue. As I said - plenty of rooms were available. The chap we were dealing with just decided he'd chosen our room and that was that. WELL - it wasn't !!!

We found a few on the front desk a bit "crabby", While some were perfect. It always amazes me that some people in this industry don't understand they owe their job to tourists/visitors - and in getting them back !

Still - the Hotel is lovely - good pool and restaurant (excellent staff) - try to get brekkie thrown in. An easy walk to the shops and for the early morning walker - like me. BUT - remember the altitude. Take water - stay hydrated - and take it easy to start. A gr8 little hotel bar - but you need to look for it.

The locals sell trinkets etc and my phone holder (leather) is still a prized possesion of mine. A gr8 restaurant just behind the Hotel - Mexican. 2 minute walk. Lovely guitar player and food.

Also close to other places worth a look.

All in all a good spot to stay and Santa Fe's a lovely spot to visit.

Room Tip: Book your room - upstairs - before arriving.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
13 Thank MichaelandAnne
Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

We travel all year, we travel all over, we almost exclusively use Hilton properties and for the most part, that usually guarantees us pretty decent digs. This is not the case with the Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza.
The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location. The check-in was 3 hours because they were full the night before, once there one night I can see why. All the maids seemed to congregate in the room next to mine for a little party of sorts the next day for two hours.
Everyone likes a nice roaring fire place in the lobby when they walk in? But not when it vents directly into your room! My room had so much smoke that night when I came in from dinner I had to open the balcony door to get it to draw it out. It was 25*, so my room never got above 60 with the door cracked, which was ok, because at 11pm an extremely rude and very English challenged security guard beat on my door, after quizzing him as to what he needed I opened the door, he explained he saw that my balcony door was open (yes he was looking in balcony windows) and he needed to come in and check and see if I was smoking (well just lmao). I explained the door was open because of the pinion fire wood smoke and he could have called, he then demanded to come in. I closed the door and said I would call the police if he came back. I then called the front desk and told them the story and that they needed to place a do not disturb sign on my door (which was not in my room), she said she couldn't, she was the only one there, I told her to get mr rent a cop to....it took over 2 days to get a do not disturb sign. My overcoat, my flight jacket and all hanging clothes including unworn ones had to be dry cleaned when I got home, they smelled like I had been to a bond fine and even after 2 days of hanging in the garage, they still stunk.
The hotel bar, except for the bar tender was just as bad. Luckily it wasn't busy. Went for a before dinner cocktail and was greeted with a screaming crying baby IN THE BAR, not only that, they had the baby, actually bouncing the raw baby diaper on the bar itself and the woman had the audacity to lean over to another patron and ask them to quiet down while watching a game and voiced his opinion on a call. Then another family comes in with strollers and decides they need a chair I had waiting on my colleauge. I had to tell the bartender they were making a scene because I would not give up the chair.
What all this writing is about is but one thing. The complete lack of any type of management in the property whatsoever. Whoever is there clearly does not give a flip about their patrons. And the employees are left to do whatever they want to.
I would stay across the street next time. Really, it was that bad.

Room Tip: Get a room as far from the lobby as possible.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business