1,874 results
All reviews del charro free parking afternoon sherry cookies free sherry daily credit tea hour flower boxes breakfast buffet kiva fireplace heated pool mini suite within walking distance two blocks green chili charming hotel southwestern decor
Reviewed 7 April 2016

We loved this hotel. The room was spacious and clean. The fireplace in our room was a nice added amenity and we used it - how could you not when all of the necessary items for a fire are laid out for you? The Tea and Sherry happy hour is something I have never seen before at a hotel - don't miss it. They also serve cookies during the happy hour that are wonderful and are the New Mexico State Cookie. We went to Del Charro twice because it was so convenient being connected to the hotel, and yet it was wonderful too. And the breakfast buffet in the morning was the best "included with the room" hotel breakfast we have ever had - hands down. Just a great place to stay.

Room tip: Not all rooms have fireplaces, so reserve one that does in the colder months.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank joefromcincy1961
Samuel G, General Manager at Inn of the Governors, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2016

Dear joefromconcy1961,

Thank you for posting such a nice review.

We are thrilled to know you had such an enjoyable stay - from the fireplace to the complimentary buffet breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 5 April 2016

The Inn of the Governors is an excellent choice for a hotel in downtown Santa Fe. It is about two blocks from the plaza and offers free parking. The rooms are delightful, we even went for one with a fireplace, since our visit was in December. All of the staff we encountered were quite accommodating. We took advantage of the afternoon sherry offered in the comfortable lobby, (hot tea was an option), plus they had cookie snacks. We ended up spending a lot of our time in Del Charro, their in-house saloon. Del Charro is definitely deserving of the awards they have accumulated for their cocktails and food. Any return to Santa Fe would include another stay at the Inn of the Governors.

Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank 100_Mile_Mike

Dear 100_Mile_Mike,

It's great to read you found us to be an excellent hotel with great rooms, conveniently located and free parking.

We truly appreciate your comments about Del Charro and are pleased you were able to sample items in the award categories.

We thank you and look forward to future visits.

Reviewed 3 April 2016

I have a lot to say about this wonderful Inn.
First - as you arrive, you are greeted by Charlene. You're not just greeted, you are welcomed and cared for by this wonderful woman. She's the valet, parking attendant, and the person who will do anything and everything to make you happy. After you check in at the front desk, she will already be helping you unload luggage onto her trolley and get it to your room. Need ice? She will bring it to your room. Five days after you've checked in - just ask for anything - she'll make sure you get it - and she'll deliver it to your room because she knows where everyone is staying. She's REMARKABLE. A lot of other reviewers have mentioned her - but she alone is a great reason to stay at this hotel.

Front desk - I got to know Ken very well. He and another gentleman that are usually at the desk will handle any issues / questions / etc. But more important is that they are also the concierges for the hotel. AND WHEN THEY SUGGEST SOMETHING - JUST DO IT. We were there for a week, and had some places that we had to go for dinner. After that - Ken was superb in suggesting GREAT restaurants after he asked what we were in the mood for. He suggested places to tour and sight-see that were just spot-on. He would print things from the computer and give maps and times. He's a gem. Soft spoken and a sparkle in his eye - you know that he has been in the hospitality business forever - and knows exactly how to take great care of his guests.

Sam is the general manager and serves the sherry in the afternoon. I'm so very impressed that the GM of a great hotel spends the hour in the afternoon chatting and caring for the guests. We had great conversations during our week's stay. I had seen his responses to reviews on TripAdvisor and I was impressed by the thoughtfulness of each response. Now I know where they come from. He is a genuine, caring, thoughtful manager, who wants nothing more than he guests to be treated well.

That's the staff - now on to the property. Our room was a mini-suite. Great location with a balcony. Room was spotless, and well maintained every day. The shower had HOT WATER (one of the things that I cherish in a hotel) and plenty of it. The hotel has nice dispensers of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash on the shower wall. Excellent. I know this is silly - but - even the tissue box - the maid had taken the top 10 tissue or so and made a flower out of them at the top of the box. It's this attention to detail that you will find EVERYWHERE at the Inn.

Breakfast - as advertised. A really nice array of great food. No need to go elsewhere for breakfast. It's here. And one or two items change every day. I enjoyed the pancakes that were there a few days, and my wife REALLY LOVED the breakfast scramble (I have no idea what else to name it) on the days that it was available.

Pool - well maintained and kept at about 87 degrees. Great to be in - but a little tough to get out of it in March.... The outside temp was low 50's but I just had to get into that pool.... Glad that I did.

The "LIVING ROOM" - I won't call it a Lobby - because it really is wonderful. There's a fireplace with a gas fire going. There are chairs and couches around it, and other seating available. Every afternoon at "SHERRY TIME" my wife and I got a glass of sherry and sat near the fire. We met WONDERFUL people and had great conversations there. It really does feel like being at home with friends. I really encourage anyone staying at the hotel to do just that - make it your home and relax with the people around you.

Restaurants. Here's where we went and just by the way - I would absolutely recommend each one of these places. The food was great, and so was the service. I can't wait to get back to Santa Fe to do these again and find more great places to eat. So here they are in the order we went to them: Tune-Up Cafe, The Pantry, Harry's Roadside, The Shed, Rooftop Pizza, Casa Chimayo, Caveman Coffee, Second Street Brewpub (at the railroad), The Cowgirl BBQ, Gabrielle's. I'll try to knock out reviews of each, but my advice is JUST GO. These are great restaurants. Your eyes will roll back in your head with every bite!

This was our first trip to New Mexico, and we met our daughter there for a few days out of our week. She lives on the West Coast and we live in CT. This was a vacation / meeting place for us. I can't wait to come back. The people, the places, THE FOOD!!!! were all great. I hope that you enjoy your time in Santa Fe as much as my wife and I did....

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank jerrytravels
Samuel G, General Manager at Inn of the Governors, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2016

Jerry,

Thank you so much for the glowing review of the Inn. I could not be happier to read that we were able to accomplish our mission with you. We want nothing more than to provide an elegant, service oriented, yet down to earth experience for our guests. We also want to provide the best value possible in Santa Fe. This is particularly key for guests who share my appreciation for purple : ) I always think of the following poem by William Carlos Williams when I see purple (of any shade- even lavender):

This is just to say

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

I’ve made it a point to congratulate each staff member you mentioned and pass on your kind words about the Inn and our staff in general. We’re looking forward to seeing you soon.

In Health and Prosperity,

Samuel E Gerberding

Reviewed 28 March 2016

Beautifully decorated with local art, the Inn of the Governors is located in a very central location, with easy walking distance to shops and museums. The staff is friendly and helpful. The sherry and cookies are welcome (sit by the pool!) The breakfast is gourmet. We thought the price for this Inn was extremely reasonable. And their recommendations for dinner are great! (We had a wonderful birthday dinner at La Choza--our waiter also worked at the Inn).

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maggie C

Dear Maggie C,

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit to the Inn.

I'm so pleased to see you found Santa Fe and the Inn of the Governors to be so special. We love knowing that the breakfast was superb and you thought our prices were reasonable.

Happy Belated birthday and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 27 March 2016

I recently was booked to spend one night in a mini suite at the Inn of the Governors. It was a spacious room with two queen beds and a full sitting room opening onto a small patio. The room was decorated with southwestern details, rustic tile in the bathroom and was very clean. The beds were fantastically comfortable. Due to an unexpected snow storm we ended up staying a second night and moving to a Superior room with a fireplace. It was very similar to the suite less the sitting room. We were in the Governor’s Wing and the walls are a bit thin but it wasn’t anything that affected our stay negatively. Due to the weather we ended up hanging out in the room most of the day and were very comfortable doing so. We loved having a pinon fire (instructions and supplies in the room). A few things that really stand out for me about this property are the location, about 2 blocks off the main Plaza. A block from shops and restaurants although the Del Charro restaurant onsite has won multiple awards in the past year for best cocktails and other things and they do room service. Their patio dining and bar have walls and windows that open in warm weather and it seems a local hot spot. The complimentary breakfast is extensive, more so than any I’ve experienced. Even being gluten-free we were able to enjoy a number of options. The biggest thing about the property I loved is the staff. We met the General Manager Sam who was manning the complimentary 4 p.m. check in Sherry and Tea bar; Alberto and Ken in reception are fantastic and really helped out when we got stuck due to a snow storm. We were asked multiple times if there was anything we needed and it felt like a family more than a staff. I’d definitely stay here again. The rates are very affordable as well. Free wifi and parking onsite too.

3  Thank boulderlocavore

Hi Toni,

I'm thrilled to know we have the friendliest staff ever! That is one of the most marvelous compliments we can receive and our success would not be possible without them.

I very much appreciate your comments about the room, beds and fireplace. It's true that Del Charro is a local hangout and we are known for our margaritas.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.