“Excellent Tapas!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of El Farol

El Farol
Reserve with OpenTable
El Farol is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 555 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Price range: US$ 20 - US$ 26
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Public transit is available on Canyon Road. Call or visit Santa Fe Trails for current schedules.
Description: The El Farol experience combines classic tastes of Spain, Santa Fe and Mexico with a unique blend of art, dance, flavor and aroma. You will be able to choose some of the finest wines and sherries the world has to offer in an upbeat, rustic 1835 adobe where the walls tell stories of artists, poets, lovers, local history and beauty.
Seattle
“Excellent Tapas!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

This is a local favorite with good reason. The food is consistently good, the servers are very knowledgeable about the food and especially the wine, and the restaurant is so attractive. Sit on the porch in warm weather!

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank SunnyBainbridge
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Scottsdale, az
“El Farol, Quatra Estrellas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

My wife and I celebrated our 38th wedding anniversery at El Farol and it was soup to nuts one of the best dinners ever! Located at the top of Canyon Rd. it has great atmosphere, excellent service and some of the best tapas and small plates outside of Spain. Nate our waiter was outstanding, very professional and even brought us a tres leches dessert to celebrate.
It is a great break from the tourists on the plaza. We will definitely be back!

2 Thank Beardownbob
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
“Santa Fe has limited Nitelife but you can dance ur A** off here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

A fun place with live music and imtimate bar, where you can dance, drink and go loco. The food is good but I go for the music.

2 Thank Alan C
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
“Avoid the Lounge”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I had a terrible experience in the Lounge on Sat. Feb. 18 2012. I was in town alone and thought I would take myself out to dinner. I arrive around 8:30 and was told by the manager that a band was starting at 9, and so I had to eat and leave immediately, or else pay the cover charge. I was not offered the option of a table in the restaurant, which I would have gladly accepted. I was greeted at the bar by the bartender who asked my name, gave me his, and then proceeded to essentially ignore me throughout the evening, other than to call me darling or sweetheart or some other such term whenever he did speak to me. When I went out to pay for parking, he allowed someone else to take my seat, even though my drink, bread, and cell phone were right there. My drink was empty for 5-10 minutes before I could get his attention to ask for a refill. He never brought the water that I asked for, although his bartender-in-training did end up asking if I would like water and then was very attentive about keeping the glass filled. The smell of the cleaning fluid used at the bar was constant and unpleasant. The food was fine, as usual (I had the seared tuna tapa and the grilled romaine tapa), except for the fact that there were pickled red onions on each dish. They went okay with the romaine, but definitely not with the tuna, and I couldn't figure out why they were even there (they weren't listed on the ingredient list on the menu), and on both dishes.

3 Thank Melissa G
Wichita, Kansas
“Great food, horrible service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

I read some reviews from other sites before we ate here...I should have listened! We were seated in a back room (table of 6) that was cold and drafty. It was very quiet, but so quiet I think the wait staff forgot about us. He finally (after a good 20 min) came to take our drink order, and I asked for a "drink menu". He promptly disappeared for another 10 minutes at least. The reviews I read claimed the "tapas" were great, and to order 8 tapas for $64 (I think...I can't remember the exact price) and thought it would be plenty to share. NOPE. Although most of them were delicious (I recommend the salmon, tuna and also the ribeye skewer) it was barely enough food for the 3 people who were sharing these. Good thing they brought out (mediocre) bread while we were waiting forever on our drinks! Our waiter kept disappearing for long stretches throughout the meal and finally when the checks were brought, he had put someone else's food on our ticket. We circled the items that we did not order and made the mistake of trusting him to remove them before he ran our card. Wrong. By this time we had been at the restaurant for so long it was almost time to eat again, so we gave up and just paid the extra $20. That's explains your lousy tip, waiter! So....if you decide to eat here be prepared to spend at least 2 hours and if you are starving order an entree along with the tapas!

• Visited January 2012