“Fair meal. Fair price. Better choices in Santa Fe.”
Review of Steaksmith At El Gancho - CLOSED

Steaksmith At El Gancho
Price range: US$ 14 - US$ 14
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Pocatello, Idaho
“Fair meal. Fair price. Better choices in Santa Fe.”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Attractively appointed dining room
Attentive staff, though having four servers was a bit confusing.
Cheese stuffed pasilla pepper app was served almost immediately and was very good.
Mixed green salad was fresh but the blue cheese dressing was mediocre
Hot fresh honey wheat bread loaf was served with the salad.
Nice wine list.
Honey chipotle grilled chicken needed a bit more salt but was cooked perfectly. The sauce had a nice kick, perhaps too much for chicken.
Grilled asparagus was a little dry-could use some olive oil or butter to finish
The bread pudding was very good but could have been served a bit warmer.
Expresso complimented the desert nicely.
Reasonably priced meal, solid restaurant, but with all the great choices in Santa Fe, I don't see myself returning to this one.

3 Thank Mike83204
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Fort Worth, Texas
“Disappointment”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We treated ourselves to what we expected to be a special night in a fine restaurant. Service was uneven. One of us ordered a steak which was tough but with a tasty sauce. We sent it back. My beef kebab appetizer was also tough, but our waiter was nowhere around when I wanted to send it back. The spinach in the spinach balls was whole leaf and mushed together and was difficult to eat. Again no waiter.
For a restaurant named Steaksmith, their beef was very low quality.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank WildflowerMama
Murrells Inlet, SC
“Good Steak, Nice Atmosphere”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Dined here with my husband. I had the filet mignon; he had the scallops. The filet was good, the scallops were just OK. We also had the spinach balls and fried oysters for our appetizers, both were good. We had a drink before dinner, both were a little light on the alcohol. It's not in the touristy part of Santa Fe, but a short drive away. The gentlemen at the front desk at our hotel recommended it. We enjoyed our meals, but with so many other places to eat in Santa Fe, I would try a different one next time. The restaurant did win "Best Of 2011 by a local newspaper, and has been in business for over 35 years. I rated it "Average" but it is better than "Average" but not really "Very Good."

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank TrishaMarie
Seattle, Washington
“Good place - worthy of the recommendations we got”
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We heard about Steaksmith from people in Albuquerque. We went on a Sunday night - two couples. A very slow evening; we arrived at 8pm and were about the last to leave. Three of us were delighted with the meal, service, and experience. I was pleased, but did not find it outstanding. Tasty bread came with the meal, and a great salad - except for a few wilted leaves and something that had a "refrigerator" taste. The veggie side (included) was grilled asparagus and all enjoyed it. We had a variety of steaks and all were good or better. The server took great pains to be sure we knew how each steak would be cooked. The wine list was mainly U.S. and we liked the Dry Creek Cab. Dessert was berry pie - very nice. Coffee was average - funny how some restaurants can do great decaf but most can't get it right.

• Visited September 2011
5 Thank AKdancer49
“Horrible service!! Food was bland.”
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Went here based on reviews I read on internet and travel books on my final day of vacation in Santa Fe. They ran out of the soup I had ordered and just substituted it without even checking with me. Service, which they are supposed to known for was totally absent. I ordered the steak special and apparently they put it on special to get rid of the meat because it had absolutely zero flavor. My wife ordered the prime rib and it was tough. Should have gone with food network recommendations instead. Reading the reviews this place must be hot or miss. I don't recommend you take that dunce.

1 Thank retiredincolorado