“Learned a lot about cooking with red chile”

Santa Fe School of Cooking
More attraction details
Owner description: Come discover the rich culinary history of the "City Different” at the Santa Fe School of Cooking, the authority on Southwestern cuisine. The School offers a variety of authentic classes and events, including demonstration and hands on cooking classes, restaurant walking tours, and a regional market. Celebrating over 23 years in business!
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I took this class with a friend who loves to cook as much as I do. We sampled 4 different red chile sauces (from pods, from powder, a sweet salsa, and a savory salsa) and made tortillas...learned a lot. At $80/person, it wasn't cheap, but I consider it worth the money. The instructor's attitude was hard for some people to take; his sense of humor is slightly abrasive. (I think, as an ex-New Yorker, it didn't bother me as much as the others.) Once you got used to that, the class was really fun. And the shop is a dangerous place! (In a good way.) I'll be taking more classes here.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"food tour"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We attended a three hour cooking class demonstration, and enjoyed the food afterwards. The chef was smart, funny, and provided a lot of info, including great tips. The food was absolutely amazing, especially the wild mushroom soup. Wine too!!! Afterwards, you can go into the store and find what you need (in terms of spices and supplies) to make the meals. It gave me a real feel for the regional food. It's a great thing to do with cold weather, or when you are tired of shopping! I highly recommend reservations in advance.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We went on Good Friday. There were only 6 of us. The chef at the school, Lois, was excellent. She cooked us up some enchiladas. One with goat cheese and a tomatillos sauce. One with potatoes and chorizo. Both great. Then we walked off to our first of 4 more eateries. First stop was the Palace. We met the chefs. We had a great crab cake with an onion puff. Tasty. Loved hearing the history of the place as well. Next off to Gruet. Sampled 5 different wines and sparkling champagne. This was accompanied by cheese and crackers. The best was the finale. A Doux Gruet that tasted of grapefruit. Wow! Off we went to the restaurant in the Anastazi Hotel. The chef was delightful, but we did not like the pork bellies. Wish it could have been anything else. The last place was an Italian restaurant. The chef and manager were so much fun. Wine was great. Can’t recall the name. We tried the pumpkin raviolis and Gorgonzola raviolis and mushroom raviolis. We stayed afterwards to have tiramisu. All were delicious.
Great fun had by all.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

We took this class as a couple and loved it. Hands on. The recipes were great and I learned so much. They also have everything in their store to buy ingredients or kitchen tools if you don’t have it at home. But they do not try to sell you anything unless you ask if they have it. The chefs were Allen and Noe. I would definitely take another class with them. This is great for couples or groups or families or girls trip etc. Very nice facility. Only 16 in the workshop.