“It was OK...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Fe
Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon
Ranked #32 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Saint Leonard, Maryland
“It was OK...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

My husband and I spent a night at Ten Thousand Waves in Santa Fe in October. It was OK. It was nice and we enjoyed visiting this place. I may be a little picky on this one since I am from Japan and there were some things that I didn't like: We reserved outdoor bath (Ichiban). It was pretty chilly so the pre-bathing shower had to be quick - all I could think of was jumping in the tub and warm up. It's supposed to be an authentic Japanese experience but it was not like Japanese onsen I was expecting. The teacup tub was a bit too small for my 6' 2" husband. Yukata (so they call it) is not like the ones we use in Japan. It was sort of inconvenient for us that they don't serve dinner/breakfast nor have a restaurant at this place, and you have to go out to eat, bring something, or buy snack type of food at their souvenir shop, because we had this tight 90 minutes bath time. We ended up buying pre-packed food at the shop which was not so great. You also have to walk a lot (many steps) to get to the bath from your lodging. We stayed in Yado. The pillow was too hard and I couldn't sleep well. The shower in Yado was nice though.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank zee1angel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Cazadero, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Having spent one year in Japan and visited a number of onsen (Japanese hot spring spas), I have a high standard for these kinds of places. 10,000 Waves is on the same level as the best Japanese onsen, with the additional benefit of being touched in a thoughtful way by the art and culture of New Mexico. Incredible rooms, some of the best spa treatments I've ever had, in an exceptionally beautiful environment. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed February 2011
5 Thank Jasmine H
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Outside of the main area of Santa Fe, so it is quiet and peaceful. You will need to drive to restaurants in town, but that is a small matter if you are going for a getaway and down time. Walk up the hill to the spa and find relaxation...the spa is truly world class.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Michael B
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

--terrible customer service after I cut my foot open on their pool--
Was already a tad disappointed by the fact that the swank surroundings only offered a single hottub, tiny cold dip pool and wee sauna. ( we've been to much nicer spas in Quebec, Spain, and banff)
Then I went to the bathroom and noticed my sandal was filled with blood.
Went directly to the desk for help and was told to sit and wait for security. Very little concern beyond asking how it happened. Distracted by the pooling blood, I couldn't remember. While waiting --twenty minutes-- for a bandaid and disinfectant I remembered slipping as I stepped into the hot tub... It's got a rickety (style vs substance) wood handrail, no steps and the wood bench has slats that I slipped through.
Frank, the security guard, was very kind when he arrived, was sympathetic, concerned, and tried to cheer me up.
The manager on duty (young man with long hair) was awful.
He didn't ask how my foot was doing, just looked irritated that I'd asked to speak with him at check out.
I calmly said that under the circumstances I didn't think we needed the pay. He said he didn't see why not since it wasn't their fault.
Wrong answer. At that point, you're supposed to be grateful that I didn't make a huge fuss and say you hope I will come again. But clearly, he doesn't understand how to deal with problems.
I explained that we had only been there for 20 mins when the night was ruined and that it was their fault because I'd slipped in the tub.
At this point he accused me of lying and it devolved from there -- he snootily offered to 'meet you halfway' and then said I was threatening him when I got upset, said, fine then I'll be writing a dreadful review.
He eventually agreed to 'comp' us -- after my husband used the example of a Toyota recall to explain that hidden defects or dangers are still a problem that businesses need to resolve - but it was an unnecessary argument that left us with an even worse impression.
If you're careful you'll likely avoid getting hurt, but frankly even without this ugly experience I was thinking it wasnt worth a trip. Try someplace else instead.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Mira G
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

I visited Ten Thousand Waves on a mother-daughter trip. I had heard rave reviews from friends who had visited, but was skeptical. I was happily surprised - TTW was one of the most relaxing, original, peaceful places I have ever stayed! From the moment you check in (a relaxing, no-rush experience) to the moment you check out (also refreshing as the bill is a lot less than you would expect for what you get at this establishment), our stay at TTW was simply perfect. The room was incredibly spacious and zen-like. The hot baths and spa was a place I didn't want to leave (I would highly recommend the Thai massage). The service was impeccable. The staff was incredibly accommodating - the security guard offered to drive us to and from our rooms so we wouldn't have to navigate our way to the hot baths in our robes/kimonos (provided by TTW for your stay). I can't wait to go back. Simply worth every penny - a must-do for any person who is craving a quiet, relaxing zen-like escape.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family