“A Platonic Ideal of a Certain Form of Perfection”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Santa Fe International Hostel
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The Santa Fe International Hostel is a Platonic ideal of a certain form of perfection. It is, IMHO Hippy Heaven. The room I stayed in was simple and charming. The bathroom was both Spartan (but the Spartans were cool) and down an exterior hallway, but hey, that's okay. The kitchen is a dream; the courtyard a delight; the owners went out of their way to ensure a pleasant stay; and the staff, comprised of volunteers, are (as a rule) are intrepid, experienced travelers themselves.

Hostels begin in Europe, offering inexpensive, safe, youth-orientated lodging with the hope that travel broadens individual perspectives and benefits societies. Keep that in mind, and much becomes clear.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank London_Rothko
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Santa Fe International Hostel

Reviewed 17 November 2011

Good things: well equipped kitchen, and helpful staff behind the counter
Bad things: had a bad vibe, one of the showers didnt work in the shared bathroom, the room was run down and saggy bed, and I was itchy every time I was in my room!
Planned on staying four nights but only stayed one.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Sarah11eleven
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This place gives hostels a bad name. Rude staff, over priced for what you get. Not clean. Need I go on? My family is orgionally from Santa Fe, not there anymore obviously. This place represents the worst of what this area has become. Being a rude hipster is not what Santa Fe is about.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Heather D
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Friendly, professional staff from the thorough beginning tour around the hostel to the easy quick final check out. I stayed here with my 7 year old son and everyone made us feel so very welcome, some friends were made. My son even recorded his first music track in the recording studio on site. The food was great, lots of healthy organic choices. Town was a short bus ride away, with the bus stop right outside the hostel. Chores were quick and simple, putting the trash out, sweeping the hallways, etc.

I would always stay here when in Santa Fe, I highly recommend it to people that want more of an experience than just staying in a plain, chain hotel.

Room Tip: I have stayed in 3 types of rooms, I preferred rooms in the 'separate upstairs building', pe...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank zacha
Reviewed 19 July 2011

This is by far the worst hostel I have ever visited or stayed at. From the moment I arrived, the staff seemed confused and apathetic. There were dirt and dead insects on many of the beds and floor. I asked for a vacuum and was given one shot out dust and smoke; when I asked for a different vacuum, no one ever got back to me. My windows would not close completely and did not lock. There was mildew on the shower curtain. The daily chore system there is clearly not working to keep this place clean, and it doesn't seem the staff steps up if residents don't do/complete the chores. I had hoped to leave the room in better condition than I found it but couldn't get any help from the staff to do so.

The only positive things I can say are that I didn't see any bedbugs, and they gave us our deposits back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank bqueen4
carracar, chairman of board at Santa Fe International Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

This problem sadly,seems to happen every summer when the town fills with big art events...Perhaps following reviews, posted by happy campers, that know what to expect of hostels and seem well satisfied with our efforts...Some pilgrims, at these times,arrive at our reception seeking chain lodging levels of service & that,at a price point ,half to one third of Santa Fe summer rates...Some few, when it is explained at reception,they will make their own bed & breakfast,clean their rooms or perform a self chosen duty to help keep the place up... Opt to accept the subsidy that the hostels not- for-profit status allows...However,comes time to stand and deliver...opt then. to welsh...As there were 50 or so other travellers that night & who apparently enjoyed their stay...Those happy campers certainly did not by twos join this forum to single out this charitable effort for abuse...PE,Board Chairman,SFIH