“Christmastime Wonder” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin, TX
“Christmastime Wonder”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

In early December, my husband and I stayed with our 6-year old son for one night in a junior suite to view the impressive Christmas lights by river boat at night. The room had a balcony overlooking the river and historic buildings. We ate dinner on the Riverwalk and only used in-room dining for late night desserts, which were very good. We enjoyed the Starbucks coffee shop on the river level and took a nice long morning walk before checking out. The Christmas lights are the most beautiful I've ever seen. I didn't give this Westin an Excellent rating because I found the pillows to need freshening. My son wouldn't even sleep on his because it smelled like cigarettes. We stayed at the Contessa right next door the year before and I found both hotels to be comparable.

Room Tip: choose a river side balcony room
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,131)
kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

my husband and i stayed june 10-15 and had a wonderful time. the folks in the restaurant joshua and chef michael ruiz were great. heimie and genevia from the bar were the best. they are key employees that make you feel at home. the location was good for all types of sight seeing.

Room Tip: the river walk view is worth the up grade
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ksgrndma
JamiChampagne, Director of Rooms at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback about your experience at The Westin Riverwalk, krgrndma. We appreciate that you took the time to point out the positive aspects of the hotel. Joshua, Chef Michael, Jaime and Gene are thankful for making your stay all the more pleasant. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Kolkata, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

I just completed a 4 months stay at the Westin Riverwalk. It is a fabulous hotel with great service. I truly enjoyed my stay here.

I would like to recognize some of he members for their outstanding service. Steven at the Front Desk is always willing to help with any and everything. Also my thanks to Heidi the Front Desk manager.

I visited Zocca the restaurant on a daily basis. Chef Eugene as always is tops here. I discovered that Jessie in the Kitchen is a wonderful cook. She always used her imagination to come up with innovative meals. Also wanted to thank Cooks Martin and Cory. Daniel, Danny and Naren are wonderful servers, always greet you with a smile.

Some areas of improvement. Clock at the Fitness center never showed the correct time all through my stay. Some of the reps at the Service center on several occasions would forget to send deliver some of the requested amenities(I had opted for the Green choice program).

But overall it is a great hotel and best value for money in the San Antonio area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Sandeep C
Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback about your experience at The Westin Riverwalk, Sandeep. We appreciate that you pointed out all the positive aspects of the hotel from the great service to the hotel value. Steven, Heidi, Chef Eugene, Jessie, Martin, Cory, Daniel, Danny and Naren are very grateful for making your wonderful stay all the more better. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

I had the pleasure of visiting your hotel on June 14th. Upon my arrival I was met by Miguel Calderon, my personal tour guide. Miguel went above and beyond the call of duty to oversee that my stay was enjoyable. Not only did Miguel help me with my luggage but gave me the scoop on the City and Riverwalk. To my surprise he also sent chocolate covered strawberries to my room. His friendly outgoing personality is what every employer should look for and he is an asset to your company. Keep up the great work Miguel and thank you for making my stay a great one. Jeanne

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jeanne C
Thank you Jeanne for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback about your experience at The Westin Riverwalk. Miguel is grateful he was able to make your stay extra special. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

This is me and my husband's first time staying at a Westin, and we loved it!

The hotel is in great shape with beautiful design. You can tell that every piece of decor was expensive. Everything from the light fixtures, drapery, furniture, carpet, looked brand spanking new. The lobby has several sitting areas and a couple of large balconies with lots of furniture for guests to go sit on and look at the riverwalk.

Check-in was quick and they actually pay attention. When I booked through their website, I requested the highest floor possible for my category (Deluxe King Balcony), and sure enough, we had the top floor of the hotel! It had a great view of the riverwalk, hotel pool, and Tower of the Americas.

We are cheapskates but decided to splurge and get a nice hotel downtown so that we can just walk to wherever we needed to go. The Westin was a great location for that. We never had to walk more than 8 blocks to get to great restaurants.

Another way we cut costs is parking our car in the garage across the street from the hotel. If you're not disabled, you should definitely park your own car. The garage is literally about 20 steps across from the lobby. It cost us $15 to self-park. I'm not sure how much valet service costs but I know it's not worth it unless you have a TON of luggage!

As with most hotels, room service and pay-per-view movies are expensive. I'm talking, $8 for a bowl of cereal and $18 for each movie expensive lol. But, it's expected that hotels jack up the price for things of that nature. It's your choice to use it or not. =)

We will definitely be staying at the Westin again when go to San Antonio!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple