New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Great location, great hotel, great staff, ok fkod” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter

San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter
Ranked #35 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
“Great location, great hotel, great staff, ok fkod”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

One of the best hotels I've stayed at on the riverwalk. Great location, Alamo is across the street. Staff was very helpful and willing to go the extra mile. Wonderful view from my room. Rooms are large, clean, comfortable bed. Still charging for internet -BOO!
Food was just OK. Breakfast was good but dinner was nothing special-beef dried out but desserts were over the top.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Valet staff was nice and accomidating even though they were swamped. Check in went well, staff was pleasant and were able to honor my room request. The hotel was PACKED. This is San Antonio and there are always conventions, meeting, groups, etc. Elevators took forever. Lobby bar and Starbucks couldn't handle the number of people. Room was normal, just basic. Internet worked upon arrival. That night, it wanted me to pay $12.95 for noon to noon service. I was able to hook to the La Quinta internet at no charge as it was across the street. Found out when I went to bed that evening, the bed frame squeked and cracked. It was 2 in the am, so nothing could be done. I asked about a later check out and was told no. Went to take my bags down and asked the front desk, and they said yes. That was nice.
This hotel should know of the crowds coming in, especially on the weekends when they were booked solid. I was disappointed in how the staff was able to handle the number of people. They were pleasant about it though.

Room Tip: Try to get floor 25 and above as the elevators are faster. Get a higher room number as the lower one...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Vidor, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I recently returned from the Texas Music Educators Association convention in San Antonio (at the Convention Center). Stayed at the Marriott Rivercenter for second or third year in a row. The front desk is good, but made a mistake at my check-in that cost me time at check-out (tax exempt status). Because I can't walk far without pain, I always order a scooter to be delivered to the hotel.

The concierge desk is always very good about receiving the scooter and keeping it there if I need them to. Riding a scooter to the convention center from the hotel, however, is a slight challenge. Only one set of doors at ground level (and there are three entrances) has an automatic door. The once closest to the Convention Center does not. It is a challenge to get out of the hotel unless an obliging passer-by holds the door. The next set of doors I must negotiate (in Rivercenter Mall) also do not have automatic openers. Yes, there is a way I could get to the Convention Center using the available automatic doors, but that would send me out into the cold and/or rainy February day, with no awnings! There has to be a better way....let's do some upgrades for those that need access!

The room that we had last year was perfect for me to get in and out of with the scooter. I could even easily negotiate it by myself, without the help of my roommate. We have different interests and schedules for the meeting, so it is very helpful if I can fend for myself!

I had emailed the hotel at the first available date (January 24) with a request that we get the same room again this year, or at least one configured the same way...the hotel has 38 floors and there are at least 12 of those that have the same floor plan.

When I checked in, they did not even have the email at the desk, much less the same room. The clerk moved us to what she thought was a similar room....turns out it was not and was VERY hard to get in and out of, even WITH my roommate's help. Oh, well....we'll try again next year. I'm going to call next time to actually talk with someone rather than email.

One very good thing about this hotel is a Starbucks in the lobby! Yeah!!!!!

All the staff is very nice and helpful, even when they are telling you the wrong things...

All in all a nice place to stay if you are not disabled. I've never actually stayed in a disability room, so I can't speak to that, but accomodating guests with special needs is not their forte.

The bedding is very nice, but maybe it was just me....I felt like I was falling out of bed when I slept on one side of the double bed...had to move up into the center to get comfortable.

Room Tip: Views from higher rooms, especially at night, are wonderful!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
houstonburbs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

As usual, we received the very best hospitality was beyond what we needed for our convention experience. We were treated with typical San Antonio hospitality and Marriot tradition. We always request various things-- a room above the 32 floor so we can view the beautiful San Antonio skyline, a room away fro the elevator, etc. The staff does what they can to help with every request. We shall return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 28th floor so you can enjoy the skyline! Spectacular views
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ladybugtx76
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

We came here last week for one night and we found the staff to be very welcoming and the help with luggage very good, our room was on the 32nd floor so we had a great view, the room was very clean and large with a very impressive decor, I would say though that it would have been nice to have had a nicer bar to sit in as we thought that the main bar to be a bit noisey and lacking in sophistication as a hotel like this should have a quieter lounge with confy chairs, but other wise this is very nice comfortable place to sleep!

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher level as this is more away from street noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends