“Just Okay”

Ranked #80 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Just Okay”
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel for a family reunion in San Antonio. Having recently stayed at an Embassy Suites in the same location last month, I had a lot to compare this hotel to. Unfortunately I was disappointed when I put both of them together and by check-in, I wish that I had stayed at the ES instead.

The hotel is very nice and it is kept up and clean. Parking is ample and the decor has a Spanish style to it. There is a patio near the swimming pool where you can relax and sit outside but I don't think it's non-smoking because there were ashtrays on the tables. The free internet is nice and there is a nice signal everywhere you go.

I personally didn't take advantage of the breakfast so I can't comment there but other family members were pleased with the availability and they complimented the food.

The room for me was the most disappointing. For the same price I could of stayed at the ES and I would have been better off because these rooms at the Marriott are not separate from the kitchen. The only advantage this room had over the ES was that there was a stove which we did not use and a larger refrigerator which made it nice since we were traveling with kids. This would be a nice room for 1 person and 2 at most and definitely not big enough for a family of 4 with small children.

The staff is friendly and I was allowed a late check-out but I don't think I would stay here again if the price is the same as the ES.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2011

The suites in this hotel are much smaller than typical TownePlace suites. The kitchenette is tiny and is along the entryway. They are studio rooms with no separate bedrooms. Rooms are all the same and only big enough if you are travelling alone. Decor is dated and towels were few and worn. This hotel is not up to Marriott standards.
When checking-in, the two gentlemen at the desk were very welcoming and friendly. They said that as a Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards member, I would receive the bonus points and for my welcoming gift my family could have some complimentary drinks from the store. We were well-stocked with drinks so we said "maybe later". The next day when I asked the woman at the front desk if I could get the free drinks, she said I already received the points and that's all I was entitled to.

The gentleman that takes care of the breakfast bar was friendly and attentive. He made sure everything was clean and well-stocked.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. All the same. Small and dated.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank N_Kenny
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This hotel is very nice. I had never heard of this hotel but I wanted to use my Marriott rewards and located them as a part of the Marriott chain. Nice room and bathroom. This is the same level as other luxury hotels. They also have breakfast daily , a bellman, and rooms include stainless steal appliances, flat cooktop and full refrigerator, and they accept small pets. There is a Walmart, TJ Maxx and a little strip center with a nail salon that I walked to.

Room Tip: Just make sure your room does not face the hotel Sign and logo, because the light will keep you awak...
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The rooms here are your typical for this chain, kitchenette, medium bedroom with couch and desk, separate bath. What makes this hotel stand out are the staff. I travel 200 nights a year, and the staff here are outstanding. Friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about the area. I stay at this hotel EVERYTIME I stay by the airport.

• Stayed July 2011
Victoria, Texas
Reviewed 18 July 2011

My fiance and I stayed here for our anniversary trip to SA and we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is nice, and the pool is awesome. The free hot breakfast is great, and our room was nice. The bathrooms are designer so it feels more like a four star hotel rather than a three. My only complaint is that my bed at home is more comfortable than the one in the room, which I guess is probably my own fault lol. I got a new one not too long ago so I'm a spoiled sleeper. Wasn't uncomfortable tho. Room was very clean (actually the whole place was, the staff was always cleaning) and hotel was quiet for being so busy. Location was perfect for us because we went to the zoo the next day. Great place to stay, and rooms have a sofa bed so you can get away with four to a room if you need to.

• Stayed July 2011