“Awesome stay so close to downtown and the Alamo!”
Review of Crockett Hotel

Crockett Hotel
Ranked #23 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
“Awesome stay so close to downtown and the Alamo!”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We recently stayed at the Crockett and were very impressed. My husband has been dreaming about seeing the Alamo since he was a little boy and they gave us a room overlooking the Alamo. It was an awesome view and a large room. The breakfast was good and well stocked. Parking was easy. The Alamo was across the street and it was a five minute walk to the riverwalk. I would totally reccoend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed April 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
South Weber, Utah
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I booked this hotel for my daughter and her husband to spend a couple of nights enjoying adult time while I got to spend the time with my grandkids. I am disappointed I didn't spend a bit more and get a nicer hotel.

The room was a queen and extremely small. My 6'4" SIL had to let his feet hang off the bed because the queen seems to be a "hotel queen" or smaller than a standard queen. They told me the room was tiny but they didn't spend much time in the room so it wasn't a problem. Anyone that has stayed at a historic hotel in San Francisco will understand that historic often means small.

The air conditioner wasn't working well but the kids never notified the staff until they were checking out so I am not rating down for that.

They did not care for the look of the continental breakfast so they went out. No comments on breakfast.

Things that were great: Location, location, location. Very convenient to the riverwalk. They didn't have to use their car once. They had a room on the Alamo side and their view was amazing. They had taken a white noise machine with them in case they were on the atrium side so the outside noises because of the single pane windows were not a problem.

Customer service seemed very good. I called the day before the kids checked in to request an Alamo view and the clerk took notes even though she couldn't make a guarantee. The next day when the kids checked in she remembered my call and they got a nice room. When the kids checked out and told them about the AC not working the front desk was sorry they had problems that had not been corrected even though that was based on the kids not telling.

If you are short or book a king, travel with a noise machine and like to eat breakfast out rather than depending on the hotel breakfast I think this could be a great hotel for the price.

Room Tip: Alamo side, higher floors for the view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington State
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We booked this hotel blind via Hotwire; took a chance because of the price and regretted it. While the location was great we were very disappointed with the room. My husband is 6'5" and we were very cramped in the room and the bath. We had requested a king bed on hotwire but were told by the hotel hotwire only books queens and we would have to pay an additional $25 (our fault for not reading the fine print I guess). I knew we would have to pay for the parking, so at the $25 extra for a king plus the $19 for parking we could have stayed somewhere else downtown.

The property is in an old hotel building (turn of the century-type) so I understand the "quaintness" it is trying to project but it was simply run down. Wood panels in both elevators were beaten up, hallways very bland, strange smells. Pool area looked like it hadn't had any service in months. The breakfast was standard; eggs were icky and being the only protein, my diabetic husband couldn't eat anything.

More on the room: we were on the 3rd floor across the street from the Alamo. Lovely view, and I'm glad we were on that side of the hotel. The windows looked single pane, so you could hear the carriage drivers talking to their fares... I can't imagine what the noise level would have been on the Mall side of the property.

I'm giving this hotel a 3 and not a 2 because of the location and view. I would not stay here again, but it was a nice walk to and from the Riverwalk.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Thank you for being our recent guest and for taking time to provide feedback to us about your stay.

As a historic, boutique hotel we have a wide assortment of rooms in various configurations. Queens, Kings, Double Doubles and even suites. We do only offer the deep discount sites like Hotwire, Priceline with our single queen bed rooms, which usually can accomodate 2 adults comfortably.

Our 103 year old hotel has always been in an ideal location for travelers coming to San Antonio . We have tried to enhance their experience with a well maintained, and updated facility.

We continually look at our breakfast selections which we provide on a complimentary basis. In addition to scrambled eggs, we offer hard boiled eggs, made to order waffles, a variety of cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, breads, bagels, pastries and 4 types of juices and coffee.

Thanks again for your feedback. We use our customer feedback to refine and improve our level of service to our guests.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Great hotel and location. Nice free continental breakfast and free wifi.

(Only 2 elevators which are small).

• Stayed April 2012
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide others with a review of your stay at the Crockett Hotel.

We look forward to your return visit. We remain a unique option in the heart of a great city. Only steps from the Alamo and in a historic, boutique hotel building...we enjoy caring for our guests and serving them daily.

Many happy and safe travels to you.
USA
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Located next to the Alamo and a five minute walk to the River Walk this hotel is perfectly situated! There's not much of a lobby or dining area but the rooms make up for it. Clean, well appointed and tended too efficiently. I would return without a second thought.
San Antonio is a very family friendly city. Plenty of restaurants, shops and museums to occupy everyone. A great weekend location.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple