“Great place to be.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Harker Heights, Texas
“Great place to be.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

This was a great place to stay all the history valet parking, large rooms, great staff and just steps away from the magnificent Alamo/downtown San Antonio. Very memorable visit. Thanks Crockett and staff.

• Stayed February 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

I was so excited to stay in this hotel, which is on a few historic building registries. Pros: Great location! The building itself is beautiful, unique, and surprisingly clean, especially considering it's age. The front desk clerks were always helpful and friendly. I had a queen; the room was small but not cramped. There was a television and blowdryer, but no fridge or coffee maker (I don't drink coffee anyway, but noticed there were some instant coffee packets). The bathroom was a good size and very clean. The A/C worked magnificently. Breakfast was delicious, with fresh food but no meat like bacon or sausage (fine by me!). There was fresh fruits, juices, milk, yogurt, bagels, pastries, waffles, and eggs. I was pleasantly surprised by this free breakfast. Cons: Fabric shower curtain liners are my pet peeve-I've never been able to take a shower using one without water puddling up outside of the tub. The drain clogged very easily, so my showers had to be very quick. The water temperature fluctuated, which is to be expected because it's an older building with lots of rooms. The walls are very thin, so we could hear our neighbors (not above us, just next to us). The ice machine was near my room, and I woke up a few times during the night whenever someone got ice. I use an app on my phone that creates white noise, and still had trouble sleeping. I didn't hear much street traffic despite the fact that I was on the end of the building. The bed was too firm for my liking, and there were only two pillows (but I'm sure I could've gotten more if I asked). Overall, I would stay here again, but will be exploring some other area hotels.

Room Tip: Request a room not near an ice machine
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post some photos and a review of your recent stay.

We appreciate your honest feedback and your recognition of the unique, clean, convenient property that is the Crockett Hotel.

We want to apologize that you did not enjoy a great night's sleep during your stay. We have our ice machines on a timed circuit so that they no longer run after 10 pm each night. They stop producing ice at this time, but remaining ice can still be dispensed.

We do have 1 additional pillow and blanket in every closet, and have additional pillows available upon request. We also have a coffee brewer in each room that brews a single cup of coffee at a time (not instant coffee). You may have missed it since there is no multi cup carafe.

We will look into options that may provide mp3 playability and also white noise generation, clock/radio/alarm options. This may be an item that we can incorporate in our ongoing efforts to enhance the in-room items that we offer for our guests enjoyment.

Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to you being a returning guest in the near future.
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

close to everything - truly right next to the Alamo, short walk to Riverwalk and other tourist attractions, easy highway access for anything. Breakfast was good with fresh fruit, brand name cereal, waffle iron, juices and coffee. But it was crowded! And not eeryone cleaned up after themselves ... Pool was very attractive, with ample towels, just really small.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank TravelingMAkron_Ohio
College Station, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

The Crockett Hotel has a great location just steps from the Alamo, the price was good as well for being located near the Riverwalk. My only complaint would be I ordered a wake up call for Sunday morning at 8:30 and never received it. Upon checking out with Crystal at the front desk and making her aware of this she made no apology or tried to find out what happened. Very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback after your recent stay at the Crockett Hotel.

We appreciate your compliments on our historic hotel and ideal location, etc.

We certainly want to apologize for the failure to provide the wake up call that you requested. We will go back and see what caused this oversight, so that we may prevent such an occurrence in the future. Maybe more importantly, we will review with our staff that when things go wrong and there is a problem brought to our attention, a sincere apology is the very first thing we are expected to offer.

Reviewing our customers' feedback helps us to refocus and retrain our staff, so that we can improve our standards of service for all future customers. We hope to have you as a return guest soon. Thank you once again.
League City, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

We got an online special $70 per night for a double room, which was fantastic. I have seen other reviewers state the rooms were small, but ours was very average and didn't seem small at all, as is often the case with older hotels. You are steps from Alamo, Alamo Plaza, Rivercenter Mall, tons of restaurants, shopping, Riverwalk, etc. Pool is out front, but it has lush landscaping and is gorgeous and extremely well-kept with plenty of seating. Staff was friendly and helpful. We didn't take part in the continental breakfast, so I am not sure about that. We happened upon a great deal, but more than $70 per night would probably still have been a deal for the location. I am happy to say the only negatives were no fridge/micro, but that seemed to be a small problem with all the other positives.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family