“Very good food but noisy.”
Review of Acenar

Acenar
Reserve with OpenTable
Acenar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #100 of 5,048 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$ 21 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene, View, Child-friendly, Romantic, Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: St. Mary's
Transit: Yes
Description: Acenar...A culinary explosion of flavors created by restaurateur Lisa Wong ...an expression of Latino Passion and Pizzazz! This blend of authentic Mexican recipes and culinary artistic flair has created unique tastes that will ignite your senses... Savor our crab tacos, duck tinga, cabrito, four versions of tantalizing enchiladas, seafood fideo, or three-mole ossobuco. Then cool down the spice with a little ice and sip on a mescal elixir, melon mojito or Acenar's signature hand-shaken margarita. Enjoy these taste sensations in the most unique space on the River Walk - whether you choose to dine on the scenic patio or the below the linticular mural offering up a slice of Latino life... Acenar will serve up an unforgettable sensory experience. Located on Houston Street along the eastern bank of the San Antonio River Walk next to the Hotel Valencia. Acenar... Hot Mex - Cool Bar. Ignite your senses!
Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

My wife and I ate dinner there on July 28. They brought nacho chips with a black bean salsa that was very good. We started with the spicy guacamole which is prepared table side. This was very spicy with good flavor.

For the main course my wife had the crab tacos and I had the fish tacos. Both were very good but I thought the fish were better.

Overall the food and service were very good. My only complaint is the noise level. Part of the problem was the 3 infants that were literally screaming at the top of their lungs.

Reviewed 30 July 2018

This may be slightly hard to find, but it was right next to our hotel, just had to walk downstairs and worth every step!. (there is also an elevator). Fascinating menu, they advertise hot Mex.. cool bar, but this place is great for every age and taste. All in our party of five were delighted with everything, even the five yr old and yes this is child friendly while being upscale. We sat next to a table that was hosted by a food tour... too bad they only got appetizers then moved on.. Seating can be out by the riverwalk or inside. Just do it.. you wont be disappointed.

Reviewed 27 July 2018

The food is delicious. On the Riverwalk, although it is off the beaten path. Make reservations on the weekends as it tends to fill up.

Reviewed 24 July 2018

We had dinner here with another couple. The place was busy, but we were seated right away. Also, even though it was busy there was no drop off in service. We all had different dishes and all came out hot and the food was good. I would go back.

Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

A group of us were in town for the Texas Restaurant Association event at the convention center. Some of our party had never been to SA. I have been to SA many times on business and made Acenar as my go to Mexican restaurant. Until now. We entered the restaurant at 5 minutes til 11. Closing time was 11. The first person said “I need to check”. Then after a few minutes Scott, the manager said “I need to check with the kitchen”. Really? Your hours are until 11pm. And on a Saturday evening. He truly had no interest in having us as a guest at the restaurant. He wanted to close the restaurant.

Once he realized we were in for the TRA he tried to backpeddle and rudely and reluctantly offered to seat us. We left vs dealing with his attitude.

When we were walking out, a guest said “go to Mi Tieras- they welcome all people and are open 24/7. I saw how he treated you. “

Bottom line - Scott needs to know that 11pm means 11pm. Not 1055. He also needs a lesson in dealing with people. I have brought many,many clients to Acenar for many years. I have spent a whole lot of
money there. That is over. They obviously don’t care about their guests.

Good news- we went to Mi Tieras and had an amazing experience.

Skip the attitude, go with the long time Mi Tiera.

Been to Acenar? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK