New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Naperville, Illinois
“Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed with our 2 kids (9 & 12) and had a great time. The room & bathroom was very large & pool on the roof wonderful. Beds were 2 twins but they were happy to provide a rollaway & the room was spacious enough to handle it. Great location for all the sites. The spa was nice but on the pricey side. Lovely, comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank TravellDad
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Stayed there 3 nights with my wife, got upgraded with out asking to a river view room, the rooms are beautiful,VERY comfortable free WiFi (unusual for high end hotels) free espresso and water bottles.
we had a massage which was great , had breakfast in the restaurant and next day in the room,
again service was great and so was the food...
they are so good that when ever I needed my car , the valet brought it to me with me needing to give them my card , they just remembered mt name !!!
the only other hotel that i can remember being treated like this was the Ritz !

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room.
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank OHandTH
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

I recently stayed at the Mokara hotel and i was happily surprise by the service, facilities and delicious food. I cannot compare with any other properties in San Antonio because it was my first stay, but i already know my next time in town i will still be staying at the Mokara.

Sleep Quality
1 Thank thibaut a
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

The spa at the Mokara Hotel is absolutely fabulous! My friend and I spent the day there and left feeling very relaxed. The service was excellent and we would definitley go back. We each puchased a half day "spa refresher" package which included a massage, facial & "deluxe" pedicure. The Massage was wonderful and the use of the spa amentities was also good. The facial was good, but not great and the pedicure was not so good. Despite the actual treatments not being perfect, I know these things depend on who is doing the treatment, so someone else may have a much better experience in that sense. The spa itself was exactly what we needed. There is a dry sauna, steam room, whirlpool and the most relaxing relaxation room I have ever been in. The lunch was also fantastic. We will go back, but next time, we will do a longer massage and perhaps a body treatment. Skip the pedicure! trust me!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I spent a half day at the spa with my first treatment beginning at 11am and was there till 4:30pm. I had a very nice time. My first treatment was a Summer Rain Shower Massage which took place in a Vichy Shower room. The therapist was Hubert and he was the same therapist who did my Vichy treatment years ago when it was still the Watermark hotel/spa. Having a massage while under the warm spray of vichy shower has got to be one of the most indulgent and relaxing things on earth! Hubert did not disappoint and his attention to detail and service are excellent. He brought me a new robe as he noticed a small hole in the shoulder of it (which I had not noticed). The only negative about this treatment is that it is a long time on your stomache with your head having to be turned to one side or the other as the table is flat (although padded well). After a while it becomes a little difficult to remain comfortable, but it is still worth it as the warmth of the waters makes it all worthwhile. My next treatment was a facial and it was excellent. The therapist asked me if she could do extractions around my nose and I was all for it as I knew I had some blackheads that needed removal. She did an excellent job and it was 50 minutes of pure relaxation. My husband commented that my face looked radiant later that night and it is now 4 days later and my skin still looks and feels great! Following that I had spa lunch (included in my half day package of facial/mani/pedi). This is where I feel the experience has taken a sever downturn since it was the Watermark. I selected a salad, sandwich, and dessert. The salad was a huge portion of overly drenched greens in a dressing that was too thick and hearty for a spa salad. The sandwich was in house roasted turkey on a croissant. Again, it was massive and was enough for 2 people. It had two very thick 1/2 inch slices of turkey which did taste good, but was too large and thick for a spa sandwich. I was only able to eat half and it felt like such a waste. The dessert was supposed to be a pecan chocolate chunk brownie with vanilla ice cream. It seems like they are trying to make up for their lack of flavor and creativity with huge portions. It was two huge triangles of brownie that were a bit dry and overcooked (heated up in the microwave, so portions were very hot, other portions cold). There were no pecans anywhere. It was very disappointing to be expecting a creative spa type light lunch and get this overly done massive proportions of sub par tasting food. On my previous visit when it was Watermark, the food was fantastic, so much so that I brought my husband back the next day for a roof top lunch and we both raved about it. The other point that I will mention about the way spa lunch is done, is that it is at the roof top cafe as it was back when it was Watermark. It can be very awkward to be naked with just a robe on and be sitting there with regular street dressed people coming up to look around or eat lunch. I felt extremely uncomfortable this time as I was the only person there wearing a robe, with my hair disheveled and in flip flops, while tons of staff and others dressed in suits were also there preparing and setting the area up for some function for that night. This is not a good set up and is definitely not a relaxing and enjoyable experience. Not to mention that when it is time for you to go back to the spa a staff member has to insert their key card into the elevator and press the spa floor for you, but you may end up on a different floor with other people from the hotel entering the elevator and you are standing there looking a mess with just a robe on. Next I enjoyed the sauna and whirlpool for 20 minutes before I showered and got ready for my mani/pedi. The therapist I had was extremely nice and thoughtful. She did an excellent job other than cutting my cuticle a bit on one of my toes (which she apologized for) and the paint job on the nails looked great. However, the next day it was already peeling off and by the next day after that it was completely peeled off of my finger nails as if it was made of vinyl or rubber. My toes still look fine. I suspect there was too much oil on my fingernails when she applied the polish. Anhyhow, the spa is still very nice and beautiful and the staff very professional and nice. There are just some issues they could improve on to make it once again outstanding. The food needs a serious re-work!

3 Thank ilovefrenchbulldogs
John W, General Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding Hubert and your overall experience, as well as, your constructive observations. We will certainly address the nail polish issue with our spa staff and take another look at our Rooftop menu to insure we are offering the freshest and best tasting items available. Since the vast majority of our team, including myself, has been here for many years, we are striving to improve Mokara Hotel & Spa every day. You may rest assured that on your next visit you will see our commitment in the level of our service and delivery, including at the Rooftop Café.