“Outstanding”

Ranked #26 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Columbia, Md
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

What can I say that hasn't already been said; the location is hard to beat, the decor certainly modern - but not sacrificing the 19th century feel of the place. I spent 4 nights in the Joske Vista which was huge and had everything you could want in a hotel room. They dont have bath tubs here, but the showers are very large and up market.

I interacted the most with Catherine who was wonderful, as were all the staff I encountered during my stay. I had to return my rental car at the Marriott so Joan told me to call as I was approaching the hotel, they'd come down and get my bags and I could continue on to the Marriott without having to park etc... that was very much appreciated.

The bkfst is a very expanded continental bkfst, always a hot dish along with the staples you'd expect like yogurt, many hot/cold cereals, bagels, toast, fresh fruit, juice, hard boiled eggs etc

I found San Antonio to be a particularly friendly place and that applies to the Riverwalk Vista.

I think this will be my first choice for future San Antonio visits.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jon-Eric
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Bellaire, Michigan
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I highly recommend the Riverwalk Vista if you want to be in the middle of everything. It is a block from the Alamo and across the street from the busy part of the Riverwalk with lots of restaurants nearby. And if that's not enough, there's a large mall nearby also. We just parked our car in the convenient ramp, which was reasonably priced, and walked to everything. We would come back to the room and rest between our different activities. The room had a loft feeling with high ceilings, some brick walls, large windows (which needed cleaning) and wood floors. The bathroom was beautiful with the huge shower with slate walls and floor. Even though it was a cheaper room, it was good sized and very nice. The breakfast was very good with homemade items; scones, breads and egg dishes and fruit. In the afternoon, the cookies are warm and wonderful and then there is wine after 5. The only negative is the city noise at night but it eventually winds down. And the air conditioner was a little loud. But there are so many positives about this place. I thank the owners for saving and restoring this old building. And the staff was so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank antiquetravelers
Rocky River
Reviewed 10 April 2012 via mobile

The style and atmosphere in the Riverwalk Vista made for a great home base while visiting San Antonio. I loved the restored building which has a classic old-world feel, with wood floors, high ceilings, antique decoration, but modern conveniences too (the bathroom was totally new - our room had a great walk-in shower but no tub). The location was perfect to explore the Riverwalk area of San Antonio, across the street from steps to the middle of the Riverwalk and within easy walking distance of the Alamo and the Tower of the Americas. Breakfast was fresh and varied each day, with choices to suit a variety of appetites and preferences.
I would caution other travelers that there are some things unique to this small hotel that not everyone might like. It is an older building in the very busy tourist area and San Antonio is a big, active city, so there is street noise. It didn't bother me or my travel companion, but might be more than a light sleeper would tolerate. This is a small hotel, with a small staff. The service is friendly and attentive, but there is not a front desk or a large specialized staff. The best parking is about a block away (no on-site parking available), figure about $12 - 15 daily. The parking deck is safe and well-lit and attended around the clock, but doesn't have in-and-out privileges (you will pay every time you leave, but you may find you mostly walk to your destinations anyhow). If these things matter to you, you probably should save yourself some unhappiness and stay somewhere else. If you are fairly easygoing and looking for a hotel with great character and an excellent location, I would expect you will be very pleased with a stay here.
Also worth noting is that there is wi-fi but it is about as slow as dial-up service. And, the available fitness center is a long, long walk away. (I checked out the distance and decided not to bother, so I can't evaluate the fitness center itself.)
In my opinion, the Riverwalk Vista is a great hotel, with atmosphere not to be missed. I would happily stay there again if ever again in San Antonio.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Djs45
RiverwalkVista, General Manager at Riverwalk Vista, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Djs45,

Thank you for the positive shout-out of the Riverwalk Vista. Knowing that we helped you have a great stay in San Antonio is what we strive for. We acknowledge that we are a unique lodging experience, but hope that adventurous travelers will give us a chance.

The gym to which you refer is located at El Tropicano, a mere seven blocks away. Showing your Vista room key at their front desk will give you free access to the work-out facility and the fantastic swimming pool. We hope that a brisk 15min walk will serve as a warm-up for your work-out, or make that first dive into the pool especially welcome!

And thanks for letting us know about the inconvenience of the Wi-Fi. When we know, we can address it properly.

The staff at Riverwalk Vista would be happy to welcome you anytime for a stay with us. See you soon!

Chicago suburbs
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We recently stayed on the third floor in a room facing Commerce Street. Yes, there was street noise - you are in a city. The noise from the street was actually drowned out from our extremely loud air conditioner. We never heard any noise from inside the hotel - no voices in the hall or doors banging - very nice! The location was awesome. I could look out the window and see the river and the brightly colored umbrellas from the Casa Rio restaurant. It was easy to walk across the street and down the stairs and you were right there on the Riverwalk. We enjoyed grabbing a glass of wine in the afternoon and sitting and looking out of the floor to ceiling windows in our room. The breakfasts were okay - bagels, fruit, cereal, a sweet bread, and a hot dish - two mornings it was little hot dogs in a wrap - really? I loved the little mints they have sitting around the common areas in the hotel. Cleanliness was just so-so. I noticed that I dropped a cookie crumb on our first day there - it was still there 3 days later. The bathroom off of the lobby on the third floor was not clean. A newspaper was on the floor for the entire time we were there. The bed was clean as well as the towels. I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank romantictravel
Dear Romantic Travel,

Thank you for your review of the Riverwalk Vista. We always love feedback on what kind of experiences our guests are having.

Whenever you detect any discrepancy in the cleanliness of the Vista, please bring it to our attention. We care very much about it and don’t want to overlook any detail that will make your stay more pleasant.

We also try to have a variety of breakfast choices from day to day & are always looking for new recipes. Our delicious tiny sausage rolls are always paired with another savory item which was moments from being refreshed. We’re also happy to accommodate vegetarian requests if we know in advance.

On your next trip to San Antonio, let us know as soon as you need something. We’re here to help!

Ferndale, MI
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We chose the Riverwalk Vista based on TripAdvisor reviews, so thank you fellow reviewers! We were so very pleased with our lodging during our three-night stay in San Antonio in early March. The hotel is a few steps from the Riverwalk and the Alamo...and countless restaurants, bars, shops, etc.

We arrived very late due to flight delays, so we didn't end up checking in until 1 a.m. Luckily, I had emailed the hotel ahead of time to let them know we'd be arriving pretty late. And even though there's no typical front desk where you'd expect to check in, there is someone on-site around-the-clock, so no worries!

That said, I was worried for another reason when we first arrived. Smokers and bargoers were congregated near the entry when we rolled up (it was super late), due to the number of bars which lined the street. A McDonald's is on the first floor and part of the second floor of the same building that houses the Riverwalk Vista, so we were apprehensive at first, especially when we had to dodge a half-eaten Quarter Pounder and some empty McDonald's wrappers on the building's steps to actually enter the building. (I would like to note that these were all whisked away by the time we left the hotel in the morning.)

Everything ended up being fantastic. Our room was the College Vista suite and it was beautiful. Exposed brick walls, huge floor to ceiling windows, and a spacious shower were a few of the highlights for us. We felt at home in our room. While there are antiques and cozy leather chairs throughout the hotel, it didn't seem too antique-heavy or feminine (like a Victorian B&B). Even though we weren't on the side of the hotel that faced the Riverwalk (thankfully), we could hear the thump-thump-thump of bass in a nearby club on Friday and Saturday nights. (Side note: I had read about a white noise machine that is supposedly in every room. Ours didn't have one...and when I asked the hotel employee where it was, she said, "Hmmmm, I can see the black velcro strips right there where it normally is," pointing at the nightstand, but didn't offer to find us a white noise machine, nor apologized for it being absent. Whatever. We slept fine...and the hotel gives you earplugs in case the noise gets to be too loud. Request a room to the back of the hotel to be safe, though.)

The historic atmosphere of the hotel, along with the super-satisfying breakfast spread, made us fans. Quiche one morning, empanadas another - fresh fruit, muffins, bagels, yogurt and cereal - we were pleased. We also indulged in happy hour, from 5-7, when cookies and wine were offered. The staff were also kind enough to let us check out a few hours later than the standard check-out time, since our flight home was later in the day.

As everyone else has already said, the location is superb. From the hotel, you can hear the Alamo cannon firing. It's that close. Can I just offer a little bit advice? Go off the Riverwalk for dinner. There are plenty of great restaurants that are nearby...that aren't on the Riverwalk. And from what I gather in my research, quite a few of the Riverwalk restaurants are just overpriced and touristy (which I guess you'd expect, right?). Go for a short walk to Rosario's for some delicious Mexican food (and margaritas). And if you are into craft beer, enjoy a nice walk one day to the Blue Star Brewing Company for local beer and tasty bar food (fried pickles, mmm) - you can actually walk the Riverwalk the whole way there. Another day, we walked a few miles north to the Japanese garden and the old Pearl Brewery complex. San Antonio also has a cool bike rental program. Lots to see and do...and the Riverwalk Vista is in the perfect location from which to explore the city. We will certainly stay at the Riverwalk Vista if we're ever in San Antonio again!

Room Tip: Rooms to the back of the hotel (not on the Riverwalk side) are quieter. You will hear street noise a...