“Another Average Pho Place In San Antonio”
Review of Pho Thien An

Pho Thien An
Ranked #637 of 4,916 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Description: Behind North Star Mall
Description: Behind North Star Mall
Reviewed 28 February 2016

Continuing on my quest to find a good pho place in San Antonio, but this was not it. The menu was all in English, so that made it suspect right off. The pho here, as at Pho An, was more expensive than a typical pho place but the portion was fairly large. They had a wider selection of pho too, but the pho itself was just average and edible. I ordered the egg rolls and they were big, fat, and the wrapping was the cheap kind that made the egg rolls look like a blistery burn victim. I forgot to mention in my last Vietnamese restaurant (Pho An) review, that they did use the good wrapping on their egg rolls. There is a difference in taste. Vietnamese egg rolls shouldn't be fat like an overstuffed burrito and the wrapping (at least if they use the more expensive, good kind) should be smooth and come out golden in color unless they burn them in the fryer. These egg rolls had the cheap, blistery wrapping that I've seen at most of the pho restaurants around here. The filling in the egg rolls were okay, but the dipping fish sauce was bland. I don't know if they make it bland to make it more palatable for Americans, or that's just how the cook makes it. I had an aunt who also made bland fish sauce, so that's always a possibility. I also ordered the Bun This Nuong (which I think is listed as Noodles With Pork Meat) to go as that is the other dish I judge Vietnamese restaurants on. I had that for dinner, and it was also average. The fish sauce, as I mentioned previously was bland, and the meat was okay. Not a place I would go out of my way to go to again, just another average pho place.

Reviewed 22 November 2015 via mobile

I went here with two others for lunch. They have an extensive menu, but none of us ordered the Pho, so this revue is "incomplete".

The Hot & Sour soup and Egg Drop soup were average (at best), and I would not reorder. The Spring Rolls were very good. The Pad Thai, Orange Chicken and Shrimp Fried Rice were just okay. I would not go back, except to try their Pho.

Reviewed 12 August 2015

The menu is large enough to test your will power to makeup your mind on what to eat. Being there after normal lunch time get the best service. Food came out quick and was what was ordered. Portions are enough to share ortakehome to eat later.

Reviewed 22 December 2014

I really enjoyed the food here, awesome Thai for what it is worth, but there are consistency issues. Been here 2 separate times, the first was average service, and very fast paced, like they were pushing you out in less than 30 minutes, The second time we got sat a table that looked like it was not wiped properly, and when I received the menu it was absolutely filthy, I'm talking about food that was caked on with hair stuck to it, It looked like they hadn't wiped that thing in months. We had the beef skewers with the salad and peanut sauce and this really hit home for me, it was absolutely delicious, perfectly cooked and the flavor profile was on point, but the second time I came around ordered the same app, it was overcooked, dry, and chewy and looked like it had been sitting under the heat lamp for 30 minutes and the serving size was bigger than the first visit. When we got our entrees, it was like the food wasn't seasoned at all, it tasted bland and the waiter gave me the wrong order when I told him twice what I had wanted. The second trip visit the Pho was awesome, and delicious, but upon picking up my Pho spoon I examined it and it looked like it had not been washed and sprayed with old siracha on the top and bottom. I liked the Pho and of course the service was alright, I think they really need to train their staff in FOH and BOH.

Reviewed 29 September 2014

Have been going to Pho Thien An for years, sometimes multiple times a week, and have never had a bad experience.