“Great Hotel with an Outstanding Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk

Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk
Ranked #37 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
New York
“Great Hotel with an Outstanding Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

Arrived in San Antonio in the middle of my four city Texas trip and this hotel was excellent.

LOCATION

The location of this hotel is right in the middle of downtown San Antonio, which is the perfect spot for the two main attractions of the Alamo and Riverwalk. Drove right up to the front door and had valet take the car. The valet cost $23 per day, but this was not bad for a couple of reasons. First, the hotel is in walking distance of the main attractions so a car is not needed and secondly, the price is comparable to other parking lots in the area for people driving to the attractions, yet not as close as the hotel. Now there are some reviews saying that the Alamo is 3-4 blocks away from the hotel. This may be true in "San Antonio" blocks, but being from NY my definition of the word "blocks" is different. The Alamo is about a 5 minute walk equal to about 1 1/2 NYC blocks. The San Antonio blocks are so short that I anticipated the walk to be much longer. A nice short walk to the historic area.

An entrance to the Riverwalk is about 150 feet away from the hotel. Perfect since you could do what you needed to do at the Riverwalk and be right at your hotel when done. There are a few shops in the area and a 2 minute walk to a nice sports bar where we watched Italy defeat Germany in the Euro Cup. The area of the hotel is very clean and very safe. After drinking at the bars at the Riverwalk until closing time (2am), we decided to take a stroll to see the Alamo at night. Very peaceful as the Alamo is guarded by armed officers 24 hours a day. Just to be in the front of the Alamo in the quiet of night is very special.

ROOM, PRICE, CLEANLINESS and COMFORT

The price of the room was about $160, but we got the biggest suite they have. The room design was a bit awkward, but I was only sleeping there, not buying the unit. You walk in and there was the bathroom to the immediate left and the kitchen setup to the right. Had a microwave, sink, fridge (all new all stainless steel), but no stove/oven. After passing the kitchen it opened up into a HUGE room. The only problem is the beds are all in the open area. There is no separate sleeping quarters. The open space had a desk, chair and flatscreen TV that the people on the couch could see and then a random piece of wall that had a flat screen for the two beds to see. Everyone was in the same room and when both TV's are on you can hear each others shows. Don't know the purpose since you could see both TV's from one of the beds.

The couch turned into a bed which was one of the more comfortable pull out beds. The regular queen beds were very comfortable and provided a great sleep. The A/C worked good, but since the beds were all the way over on the far side of the room, it seemed like the coldest area was the kitchen and desk areas because there were not any blowers near the beds. The second you check in, put the A/C on the coldest you can so the room can have the cold air move toward the beds. Remember, the bed area is much warmer than the open area. Don't be fooled. There was a window in the room but our view seemed to be a non usable enclosed hallway. Another design flaw.

The bathroom was very clean and interesting. There were not bathroom bars of soap (you have to bring it if you want it), but soap dispensers on the wall of the shower. Liquid body soap and shampoo. I actually liked this idea and thought it was pretty cool. Since I was not sure how to work it, I nearly broke one of the things trying to get the soap out. Eventually, my college degree came in handy and I figured out how to use it. I think it is much better using the gel instead of using the same bar of soap that everyone in your suite will roll over their dirty bodies. The rest of the suite was perfectly clean...no issues at all.

BREAKFAST and OTHER AMENITIES

The lobby had some sort of 24 hour soda/juice kinda thing but to be honest I really didn't listen when they were telling me so I am not sure what it was. Since this was the ONLY day on my trip I was able to sleep late, I am unable to tell you about the breakfast which they do have and did sound good from other reviews. The lobby is very open and has computers, couches, bathrooms, front desk, ATM etc. all in one big area. Access to the hotel after a certain hour was by card key only so that is good to keep anyone from coming in off the streets to use the bathroom.

I would not hesitate to use this hotel again if going back to San Antonio. Easiest location to get around, plenty of action, and plenty of good places to go.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank No_Roaches_Please
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

This was our first time at the hotel, and we stayed one Saturday night. The hotel is very well located and is modern, quiet and clean. Even though we did not make much use of the kitchenette, we agreed it would be a good place to stay if we needed a place for a few days. It is good to have a decent size refigerator and microwave. Our only minor issue was the cost of the valet parking ($23) and the time it can take to get your car.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank angloinusa
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

Decided on a last minute "go as the wind blows" trip with family. Had some points to spend with Hilton, so I found this new type Hilton offering had rooms so booked it. The hotel is clean, with rooms that are very modern with space saving working wall that maximizes your space. Great kitchen for us to store our snacks, beer etc, along with a microwave that has all the bells and whistles for those late night reheats! The bath is a shower only, no tub but it was a decent size. The AC was a bit loud but we just turned it to on (no cycling) and that seemed to help us get used to it. The room was quiet, had a nice view of downtown, the soda sleeper had a thicker than typical mattress which slept decently. The bed was elevated higher than I care for, but I am fairly short, it was a bit of struggle getting in and out. The roomlacked washcloths, a channel guide and theTV had difficulties with the channel selections, e.g. A channel would be available then all of a sudden it was gone. Many of the channels had no sound. The internet was free and decent, the pool was small but open 24 hours which was nice since I am a night owl, however, it was not heated so it was very cold. I liked the Eco friendly aspect of the hotel, with light and heavy housekeeping based on your length of stay, reuse of towels, minimal paper products, on site laundry, soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower. The space was also very thoughtfully done, with the living area being multi use, the desk area has a slide out table that can be moved to the living area for dining then rolled back under the desk for use as a keyboard holder for your computer keyboard or other paperwork. Lots of power outlets everywhere, as well as lighting. The king room has a curtain that can be pulled across the room to separate the bed from the living area which was nice. The valet service was prompt and courteous and the staff was also friendly. The location is very close to the riverwalk with plenty of restaurants and things to do on street side. We ordered a meal from the delivery market and it was very good (pizza was a home run with one price for as many toppings as you want) and they delivered promptly. a Walgreens is right across the street to stock your kitchen, if needed. The only negatives i had were:the cost for valet was high, there were paring garages near by for less but no in and out, so the valet was probably cheaper. As some other reviewers have stated, there were some things missing from our room, no washcloths, no extra roll of toilet paper(and only two rolls half empty in the bath,paper towel roll in the kitchen was only 1/4 left, couldn't locate the do not disturb sign (so housekeeping knocked at early waking us night owls up), and the blanket for the pullout was dingy.

Other than that the place was clean and I would come again. With my AAA the room was $125/night weekday, and I see it is an extended stay so if you book a week the rate is even lower. The kitchenette was really the best aspect since it saved us a lot of money in snacks/ drinks etc.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank cbranch2
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Overall, the hotel is OK, but is not good. Home2 Suites is NOT worth the cost compared to nearby locations. I have stayed at other hotels in San Antonio near the river walk for less money and felt I got a much better experience. Unfortunately, my hotel stay had multiple issues for a short trip where I spent little time in the room. My A/C was broken and I discovered I did not have soap and shampoo in my bathroom the morning as I was getting ready to go to work. Seemingly “minor” inconveniences, but still these things should be addressed before I am booked into the room, and the hotel should be better prepared. This lack of attention to the basics is why I do not recommend this location.

If there is a problem I ALWAYS let the hotel know, and give them the opportunity to make things right. During my stay, unfortunately, I had to let the hotel make things right on more than one occasion. I understand that not everything can be anticipated, but honestly, as a business traveler, all I want when I get back to my room after working all day is a comfortable quiet location, internet access, and a place I can rest and not be bothered. The Home2 Suites in San Antonio failed in this simple task and ultimately forces me to give them a low rating.

Pros:
1) Location is downtown, near both the river walk and the Alamo.
2) Free breakfast. Although there is no organized way to collect the food, and therefore if there are more than 3 people trying to get food at the same time it turns the breakfast area a bit chaotic. If you are in hurry forget about getting in and out quickly in this disorganized mess.
3) Fitness area and tiny pool
4) Large clean room with kitchen, fold out couch and king size bed
5) Friendly staff who try to help. The front desk staff is very good about saying hello, and trying listen to guests.

Cons:
1) The A/C is loud! The first night I stayed in my room, I thought the A/C was loud, but would kick off once it cooled my room down over night. Come 2:30AM, my A/C was still blowing like a freight train, but my room had not cooled off. Unfortunately, between the hot room and the loud A/C I did not sleep the first night at the hotel. I called the next morning regarding my broken A/C and they promptly sent a repair man as I was leaving for the day to go to work. However, upon returning to my room that evening the repairman left his ladder and tools in my room and even though I asked the front desk to remove the items when I returned later that night after dinner nothing was done. At 10:15pm with the Ladder and tools still untouched, I contacted the front desk to inform them I am leaving their items in the hallway. 5 minutes later maintenance picked up the tools from the hall. (Photo attached of ladder and tools at 5:30pm and 10:15pm).
2) Soap and Shampoo were both empty in my shower. Home2 Suites does not provide little bottles of soap, shampoo, and conditioner. Instead, they have two large dispensers on the wall of the shower: soap and shampoo (no conditioner). I went to take a shower in the morning right before I was leaving for work and discovered once in the shower I did not have any soap or shampoo. Fortunately, I happened to have some soap/shampoo with me in my bag. After showering, I called the front desk to let them know about the shampoo and soap missing from my room. A maintenance worker promptly came to my room with a giant bottle to refill both dispensers from the one bottle (there is no difference between the soap and shampoo in the dispensers).
3) Wi-Fi is very slow.
4) TV was OK, but there was not TV channel guide in the room. I always use the channel guide to find the channels I typically watch. No HBO at this hotel.
5) Valet is $23 per day. This is a little expensive for downtown San Antonio. I know other hotels charge similar amounts, but I hate having to pay to park overnight.
6) Breakfast food was not varied and it was the same frozen egg and cheese on bread base each morning.

I wish the I could give a better rating, but too many problems here that need to be addressed. The details are overlooked and it hurts this location. If I hadn't had so many mess-ups and did not have to contact the front desk so many times, this place would have received a higher rating. I will not stay here on my next trip to San Antonio. I had high hopes for the Home2, but you lost me. I have included photos of the soap dispensers and the ladder and tools left in my room.

Room Tip: I always give the same tip: Try and get a room on a high floor away from the elevator at any hotel...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GlennF76
Luis R M, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
I would like to thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us at the Home2 Suites San Antonio. Our goal is to improve service levels and your feedback is invaluable. It is feedback such as yours that allows us to correct any service deficiencies we may have. In this instance we lacked attention to details and I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I sincerely hope that we get the opportunity to show you our corrective actions if you choose to stay at our hotel again. I sincerely hope you have not lost faith in the high level of standards of Hilton hotels.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

My niece and I stayed here for one night as we explored a bit of San Antonio. The room was fantastic! Very spacious and with comfortable beds. We were able to walk everywhere we needed, without it being too much of a stretch. (I believe Market Square was the farthest walk for us, at about 15 minutes.) We visited the Alamo, Rivercenter mall and the Riverwalk. There was also a Walgreen's across the street from the hotel, which we needed a couple of times. Very convenient!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family