“Sitting in the 1920's but in 2017”
Review of Esquire Tavern

Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: St. Mary
Transit: Conveniently located in downtown on the San Antonio River, The Esquire Tavern is within walking distance from most major hotels. In addition, The Esquire is serviced by the Yellow Line Downtown Trolley conveniently located at the corner of Commerce and St. Mary’s fifty feet from our front door.
Description: One of the Top 25 Bars in America, The Esquire Tavern opened in 1933 to celebrate the end of Prohibition - a beloved San Antonio watering hole ever since. When it comes to choosing the best Riverwalk bars to spend your time, atmosphere certainly matters. Our legendary establishment is the quintessential downtown bar: dark, cool, redolent with history, and serving cold beer, swanky cocktails, and excellent food. Don't believe us? Step right up and sink your teeth into some handmade SA comfort food including Organic Sirloin Burgers, Crispy Chile Salted Fries, Big Red Empanadas, and Fried Apple Pie with Bourbon Carmel Sauce made from scratch! Now that you trust us a bit more....feel free to stay a while and enjoy hand crafted cocktails using the best of spirits and freshest of juices from the Margarita to the Moscow Mule. Beer lovers, indulge with over 10 Texas/regional brews on tap and enjoy the ice cold bottled beers you love.
Reviewed 13 December 2017

This is such a unique bar. It has two floors but the both times I have been there I have only been on the top floor. The decor is amazing and the bar is unbelievably huge. The dining tables are so cozy and I absolutely love the "candlelit" lighting at each table. This bar really does create an atmosphere of pre-electricity and such an authentic feel to that era. Their food is superb and I have to say that I have never been to a restaurant that offered a true fried bologna sandwich. It was amazing! The waitstaff was friendly and accommodating even on a very crowded Friday night. It's a little pricey but right in line for that area on the Riverwalk. I can't wait to go back and have that sandwich again.

Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

ET did a great job with our group of 10! The drinks, apps, and entrées came out much sooner than we were expecting. The chile rellenos were fantastic! Very good margs as well. Attentive service.

Reviewed 11 December 2017

I have been here twice and the service is not that great: I was sort of shocked with the price of a house wine (cabernet) was 15$ (a light poor) and I questioned this and the bar-back (not the bartender) gave me some pushback and made an inappropriate and quite pretentious remark about if I wanted cheap one to go somewhere else. I also, don't think it's fair to charge for extra olives. The best thing I have experienced with this long standing establishment is the interior.

Reviewed 11 December 2017

Sorry. No food review but I thought I'd review. I had a 16 oz lone star beer for 4 bucks. Sitting upstairs of the river walk,it was excellent

Reviewed 9 December 2017

Whiled looking for a place for lunch, we happened across the Esquire Tavern. When we walked in the decor was nice with a long bar. We decided to sit at the bar because it wasn't that busy, and hoped we would get better service that way. They had a nice selection of beers on tap, and the menue looked good as well. After our first beer we decided to order some food. My girlfriend ordered a burger and I had a meatloaf sandwich. We waited and waited for our food until I finally asked the bartender how much longer it would be. He didn't go to the kitchen to ask, but instead started pushing buttons on the register. Obviously he forgot to put in our order. Then he came over and stated it would be out in a minute. No, sorth for the delay, or i screwed up and didnt put the order in. Ten minutes later our sandwiches appeared. The food was ok, but a little over priced for what we recieved.

Date of visit: November 2017