“FANTASTIC PLACE”

Ranked #25 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Mt Vernon WA
“FANTASTIC PLACE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Never in all my travels have I had a hotel, resort, etc. that took customer service to its highest level. Everyone, from the groundskeepers to the front desk, to the housekeeping to the bartenders were super friendly. No matter how many times I might come and go by the front desk I was always greeted with a "have a great day!, how's your day going!, ettc. On the walk outside anyone you come along always acknowledged you with a greeting. Never did you feel that anyone working here did not LOVE their job. Was there for a convention and they did a fantastic job with serving the hundreds of us and keeping everyone happy. Grounds were kept to the highest standards. GREAT JOB!!!!!!! My hats off to all......

Room Tip: Loved the hill view. Rooms are so well laid out.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Westin_La_Cantera, Management Team at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
We appreciate your review of our hotel. We place a lot of emphasis on exceeding our guests’ expectations, and it’s good to know we were successful! We look forward to hosting you again soon.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

First things first... this resort is beautiful & an excellent value. We booked a weekend here using Starwood points and cash (4,000 points + $60/night) and paid another $30 a night for a room upgrade. The upgraded room was huge, had a balcony & overlooked the pool & gorgeous golf course. See pics.

Given that this is a category 4 hotel with Starwood & we've recently stayed in a category 4 resort, I wasn't expecting as much with the rooms. However, to my nice surprise, the room exceeded my expectations. It was updated, well taken care of and just beautiful. The bathroom was very nice & I honestly have very little negative things to say about the room. The $30 upgrade was well worth it as we were traveling with my toddler and needed to fit a crib. The extra seating and couch space was excellent to have. The only room of this type they had available was two double beds and not one king bed. I was disappointed in that, but we made do. I wish their two bed option was two queen beds. I mean what couple can comfortably sleep in a double bed?

My only 2 complaints regarding the room were... 1. when we first checked in, our assigned upgraded room had a giant SHARED balcony with other neighboring guests. I did not want to share a balcony for obvious privacy reasons, so I called the front desk from the room and requested an upgraded room with a non-sharing balcony. The guy who answered said they were completely booked & I could not change rooms. I do not take "no" for an answer, so I went back to the lobby Starwood preferred guest desk and the associate kindly changed the room to an upgraded room with a private balcony. This did not annoy me so much, but my advice to anyone is don't take no for an answer when it comes to your satsifaction. Clearly, the guy who answered the phone was just too lazy to accomodate & I knew there would be another associate who could help me.

My second complaint is when I requested a small refrigerator to be delivered to the room they charged $25 a stay. I have stayed in many hotels and resorts & often request a fridge when traveling with our son. I have never been charged for it. We chose not to get the fridge as we were only staying 2 nights and it was cheaper to just buy milk everyday. I think it's unnecessary & not hospitable to charge for a fridge.

Other than that, I did not find their extra charges to be excessive. Self-parking is free and many of the children / family activities are free. there is a $20 / day resort charge. I think that is somewhat annoying but am used to it from other resorts. I'm not sure why they don't just put it into the rate.

The pools were gorgeous & the pool furniture was nice and comfortable. Umbrellas were abundant, and the pool service food and drinks were very reasonably priced. For example, we got 2 fajita tacos for $5.50. The children's menu is really good too. The items even have cute names. We spent most of our time at the children's pool, which was nice and our toddler loved it. There were various pool toys to play with, like noodles and balls. Even the flagstone surrounding the pools were never overly hot to walk on. They have a great water slide at another pool too. The adult pool seemed to need more chairs and/or umbrellas. We tried sitting there oneday but couldn't find a shady spot. There were several water falls which is lovely to hear & we could even hear them from our room balcony. The only negative is there are a lot of stairs leading down to the pools. We had our stroller & so did many other parents. I did not see any ramps down to the pools.

We were very impressed with the abundance and variety of children & family activities. I loved the free smores everynight at the fire pit - super fun. On Sat. morning there was an exotic animal demonstration in the lobby. My toddler loved seeing the various Australian lizards, African snakes and even a sloth. The animal presenters were very nice, informative and were great with the kids. There were kid-friendly movies on the lawn at night too. The weather was gorgeous but we did not watch the movies. And there were a whole host of other kid activities.

At the same time, if you don't want the activities I don't think other guests were bombarded by the kids' activities. There was a really nice mile-long hiking trail. It looked like a gorgeous trail but we did not walk the whole thing. The gym also looked fantastic, but we didn't have time to use it.

The resort offers a free shuttle to the Shops at La Cantera, which is located across the street. This is a fantastic, classy shopping center with tons of stores and great restaurants. For a romantic evening - go to Perry's Steakhouse. It's brand new and absolutely spectacular. There are also other great dining options there like Brio, PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Yardhouse and Z Tejas. And the shopping is unbeatable. I love the location of this resort being so close to everything great in San Antonio and offering spectacular views from all sides of the resort.

Overall, it truly was a wonderful experience, exceeded our expectations and we are planning to return.

Room Tip: the upgraded room was worth it!!! we stayed in 4310. great balcony & view of pools & golf co...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jennandryantexas
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are delighted to hear that the upgraded room exceeded your expectations. We apologize for the confusion with the shared balcony room and have communicated to staff ways to avoid this problem in the future. We look forward to hosting you and your family again at The Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I absolutely love this place! There is so much to see, you won't even want to leave the resort. My fiancée and I came to celebrate our anniversary and were extremely impressed. The location is great...down the street from 6 flags, restaurants, the best mall and movie theater in San Antonio. The resort had golf, tennis, hiking, several restaurants, shuttles to and from 6 flags and the mall, and the best pool, jacuzzi, patio I've seen in one place. They also have the best breakfast at Brennan's! Great lounge for late cocktails as well. Our Junior Suite was spectacular and the beds were phenomenal! I have to get one of those beds :). Ruby at the front desk sent chocolate covered strawberries and champagne for our anniversary, she's so sweet, it was a great surprise. And Amanda took excellent care of us as out server on the patio. She is the definition of going above and beyond. She was so kind and friendly, she even helped us when she was no longer our server. The pinky thing I didn't love was the parking, more that was a hike! None the less, there is no where else I would stay when I come to San Antonio.

• Stayed April 2012
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
We are delighted that your anniversary weekend exceeded your expectations and hope you will celebrate many more with us. For your next visit, note that we have a shuttle that would be happy to take you to and from the parking lot so you can avoid the walk. Come back soon!
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

Prior to arriving, we made reservations for a King sized bed. When we checked in and got to our room, we noticed that we had 2 full size beds instead. We called the front desk and let them know that this was a mistake. They said that they must have overbooked and a manager would call us to help. Michaela, their service supervisor, called and found us another, larger room with a king sized bed. She also comped breakfast for us. Pleased, we waited for the bell boy to help us to our new room.

Once we got there, we were stunned at what she had done for us! We had the Cheever suite, which is a one bedroom suite with a huge living room. We had requested the king sized bed because our son would be staying in the roll away crib, which would have been a tight fit in the other room. Our room had both hill country/golf course views and views of the beautiful pools.

After we went out for the evening, we came back to a hand written card (from Michaela) under the door apologizing for the mistake and the breakfast coupons she had promised.

Not only were we blown away by her kindness and generosity, but she followed through with everything she promised.

The pools were amazing, the staff is very friendly (everyone we passed spoke to us and smiled), the views are stunning. The breakfast at Brennon's Cafe (overlooks the pool), was very good. Not anything super unique, but good all the same. The service there was also VERY good. The manager came by at least 3 times to make sure we were happy and brought us anything we needed. She even offered a coloring book and colors for my son who was getting a little bored.

I would recommend this place to anyone, as in my books, they couldn't be nicer and the accommodations are truly lovely! As a side note, our family did the 1 mile hiking trail that starts and ends at the property and it is very nice. You feel as if you are in the middle of the hill country away from it all.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your kind review. We are happy that you had a great time and hope to see you again soon!
Hornchurch,Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

Stayed here for a one night treat whilst visiting friends in Houston. When we first arrived at 3.15pm we were told that only one of our two rooms was ready but that we could all use that and we would be called when the second room became available. We trotted off to the room and found that we were on the first floor and had no view at all. All that could be seen was a grassy slope up to the path to the car park. Not very impressive for $300 a night, particularly when the two bottles of water on the hospitality tray were $1 each.

We got into our swimmers and went off to the pool. Not a bed to be had unfortunately and we had to make do with a table and rather uncomfortable metal chairs. The drinks attendants were very nice and after a couple of drinks and a dip in the very nice pool the chairs didn't seem quite so hard.

We were called to be told that our second room was now ready and we headed back to reception. This was where we struck lucky. Someone had let our second first floor room go so we were offered two new rooms on the 6th floor. Much, much better. Both rooms had lovely views of the surrounding countryside and lo and behold free bottles of water!

We ate dinner in Brannon's Cafe and had a very nice meal. The service was a little slow but our server, Andrew, was so lovely that it really wasn't a problem. We ate in Brannon's again for breakfast, and although the buffet was very nice $105 did seem a little excessive for just 4 people. We also were not told that we could have ordered fresh waffles from our server as part of the buffet, this info came to us as we finished eating and overheard the folk on the next table enquiring exactly what the buffet included. Would have been helpful to have been told this from the outset.

The complementary late check out was very welcome as this allowed us to have a lounge at the pool for a couple of hours before we had to get ready for the off. As we got to the pool at 10.30 we also managed to bag some beds too!

All in all a very nice stay, though I think we may have felt differently had we not been elevated from the dungeon level.

Room Tip: Refuse a room on the first floor. The 6th floor is much better as you will get a view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
When you treat yourself to a stay at The Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort, you should experience revitalizing comfort and delight in all of our amenities. From our championship golf courses to the spa, from Francesca’s at Sunset to our five swimming pools, as well as our array of complimentary resort activities, every feature of the property has been designed to offer the utmost relaxation and satisfaction for our guests. We are sorry to hear that your stay didn’t provide the kind of value you were looking for, and we would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further. Please contact us at (210) 558-6500 and ask for the General Manager.