“Above and Beyond.”

Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza
Ranked #37 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 19 September 2017

We were in San Antonio for a conference right before Labor Day and right after Hurricane Harvey.
After our stay at the JW Marriott resort (best hotel food ever!) we spend Labord Day Weekend at the Residence in Alamo. It runs out that when we were leaving the resort, I didn't notice that my (very expensive) camera fell out of my purse and onto the sofa in the lobby .
They called me, and I told them I'd Uber back to get it the next day.
The general manager's name at the Residence Inn is Dusty Smith, and he is an amazing man whose staff clearly adore his management. I surreptitiously watched him in action, checking on a group at breakfast.
"Is there anything we can do for you? I'm not saying I'll do it, understand. I just want to know about it!" They cracked up!
I was a stressful time, I'm sure, for the hotel. Mr. Smith came over to talk to us and, of course, the conversation turned to Harvey.
He had Harvey refugees (my word, not his!) in 42 rooms. And 16 dogs. That's a lot of carpets to clean ...
The staff found time to hand out balloons to the little ones. A musclebound dad was holding his daughter's. "She makes me do this EVERY time," he said, looking slightly sheepish as he played with the ribbon!
They had treats for the pets at the registration desk.
We told him where we'd been and about the camera. And in the midst of all this upheaval in the hotel, the GM said he lives near the Marriott resort and offered to stop by and pick up my camera. Thus saving me the Uber trip.
Did I mention what an amazing man he is? It's no surprise that the staff is smiling through what must have been a trying time! He truly went above and beyond.
I'm so grateful to the helpful, friendly staff and great management (Dusty Smith) at the hotel. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.
Oh, and it's close to all the Riverwalk attractions and across the road from the Alamo!, too!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the nightclub next door.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 September 2017

The hotel is clean, comfortable and close to the Riverwalk/Downtown. But the stay is made by the hotel manager, Dusty Smith. He meets you every morning with a smile and a few words of greeting. Mr. Smith also knows both his visitors and his city. He provided us with several great ideas of things to do and helped with our stay every day. With Mr. Smith as the manager, the entire staff exhibit this kindness and care with everyone.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

Beautiful room. Friendly and helpful staff. Just a short walk to the Alamo and River walk.
The beds are super comfortable and loved having the kitchen and sitting area. Much better than a standard hotel. Will stay with this chain again!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2017

Location was good and within walking distance of Riverwalk. Our room was a studio. I would like to have a door between bath sink & bedroom so as not to wake those still sleeping, but that comes with a large room. Our room was very adequate for the 2 of us. The bed was comfortable. Front desk staff and valet were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good and had a variety - love the option to make my own yogurt blend. We did not take part in the evening Social; however, I do like the idea and have taken part in the past when I've stayed at various Residence Inn.

Pool area was a bit small and lacking, but we did not have a need during this trip.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Dear Michelle:

Thank you for staying with us at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza and thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We certainly strive for higher scores and hope that you give us a future opportunity to impress. I am not certain of the dates of your stay but we did recently remove (and subsequently replace) our pool furniture in advance of Hurricane Harvey.

Also, I apologize that the placement of the door in the bathroom was not to your liking. Please accept my apology.

Dusty Smith

Reviewed 7 August 2017

Great hotel and great location. Front desk staff was extremely nice and helpful. I stayed in the 2 bedroom suite on the 3rd floor. Room was spacious and clean. 1 block from the Alamo & downtown. However for such a large hotel, the pool was really small.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family