“Great location”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

red032
Maryland
“Hostel Environment”
Reviewed 11 August 2010 for a stay in July 2010
person found this review helpful

Myself and a family member stayed at the Henry Derby house in late June, early July. Before we even got to the B&B we were somewhat skeptical about what we were going to experience when we got there. When booking the place we had a bit of trouble with nailing down a room that had a bathroom attached. I had seen on this website that people had been disappointed when they realized that they did not have a bathroom attached to their room when they assumed that they did. So, I wanted to make sure that we did. We had to pry it out of Peg (phone calls and emails) to say that we had a bathroom attached to our room. There was still a little part of us that thought when we got to the B&B that we would not have that or even a room. When we did get there she gave us what was promised. We stayed in the Yellow room. The beds were really comfortable but, that was about it. Above my bed the ceiling was about to come through. I feared in the middle of the night that I would wake up to it coming down. The refrigerator in the room was old and rusty and looked like something from someone’s college days. The bathroom was fine but, the shower curtain had mildew in the inside of it. Our room had an air conditioning unit but, downstairs there was no air. Peg had left the windows open all day (90 degree weather the whole time we were there) and there was a muggy, nasty feel downstairs. I felt the whole time that we were there that Peg was more concerned about saving money than accommodating her guests. Again, no air in the downstairs and every morning we had fruit that looked like some of it had rotted. Breakfast was served at 9am sharp. If you could not make that time you had to eat breakfast elsewhere. I have stayed at many B&B’s and they accommodate you within reason when it comes to breakfast times. Not this place. It was her way or no way. It felt like you were staying in a hostel. The kitchen was left wide open to see everything that was going on in there – including her granddaughter crawling around on the kitchen floor. Her son –in law using the downstairs bathroom for lord knows what, while the bathroom was suppose to be for guests that were staying in a room upstairs. We were not using that bathroom but, if I was, I would be upset that some strange guy is in out of there all day. I realize that people usually live in the house that the B&B is in but, you don’t see the way they live – it is hidden from view. No this family – it all out there to see. I felt like we were in their way from their everyday life. Not attractive at all. I did not have a horrible experience with them but, I would not stay there again and would not recommend to anyone else.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Shannon77
Fishkill, New York
“Almost ruined the weekend”
Reviewed 29 May 2010 for a stay in October 2009
people found this review helpful

I called the Henry Derby House in April 2009 and asked about a weekend stay. The owner told me that she would prefer to book the room for a three night stay while I was only interested in a two night stay. She said that unlike most of the B&Bs in the area she didn't make it a minimum 3 night booking so the two nights would be fine with her. I booked my room for a weekend in October and she gave me a confirmation number. She said that she would bill my credit card for a deposit.
On that weekend my husband and I drove up to Salem. I usually confirm with a B&B or a hotel before I arrive but I didn't this time -was very busy this past fall. When we were about a half hour outside of town I called to let them know we would arrive shortly. I was astonished when the innkeeper said that we didn't have a reservation there! I told her that I had a confirmation number and read it to her. She quipped back, "Was a deposit taken from your credit card?" To be honest, I didn't know. I never paid attention. I figured I had a confirmation number and I knew that my credit card was good. I said, "I don't know." She said, "Well if no money was taken as a deposit your room wasn't reserved." I said, "But what about the confirmation number?" She said that that didn't matter.
Suffice it to say, we were upset. It was a busy weekend and nothing was available for that night. The owner of this B&B told me that she would try to help us find another hotel room. She did. She found us one in Glouster which is approx. a half hour away. The whole incident took three hours out of our day - with us frantically calling the hotels/motels in the area and the owner calling us to tell us of places we could try. If you have children, which we do, and you get a weekend away, you know that every second is precious.
I give the owner an ounce of credit for at least trying to help us after she gave our room away. However, I will never recommend this B&B. We've stayed at the Morning Glory before (they were booked last fall) and it and it's owner (Bob) are fabulous! We will only stay there and perhaps that Hawthorne Hotel (who bailed us out the other night we didn't have a room) in the future.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
NJt0urist
New Jersey
“Great location”
Reviewed 29 March 2010 for a stay in March 2010

I was very pleased with my stay at the Henry Derby House. Peg was very informative. When we got there she took the time to sit with us and show us how to get around town on the map.. She told us all the places to eat and tour. The room was very clean and comfortable, and she was very friendly. She sat with us after breakfast and told us great stories and gave us ideas on what we could do with the rest of our day. I would definitely go back and stay again. It was very affordable and the location was great. She was no more then a 5 minute walk from all the shops and touristy stuff.

Travelling group: Friends
DVTer
New England
“Comfortable and convenient B&B”
Reviewed 15 March 2010 for a stay in March 2010

My niece and I travelled to Salem to get her Dad (my brother) settled into Shaughnessy-Kaplan Rehab after he suffered a stroke. We found the B&B and liked that it was close to the hospital. We had a nice, clean room with a private bath. Peg did all she could to make our stay comfortable. Comfort is the key here. We knew we needed to be out early and asked if we might have some fruit as we needed to skip the traditional breakfast. Peg came to the room within minutes with a big plate of danish and lovely strawberries, a banana, grapes and tangerines ! The next morning we made coffee in the room with the provided coffeemaker, and I slipped down to the kitchen to heat the danish in Peg's microwave (Peg, hope that was OK!). We were out the door and off to the hospital in time to catch the doctors on rounds. This may not be the fanciest B&B around, but it was clean and comfortable, and Peg did all she could to help us in any way possible. We considered taking a room long-term for various family members to stay in, and Peg worked with us to come up with a very affordable option. It did not work out on our end as family wanted to travel to and from Salem in one day or stay with relatives, but I give Peg my thanks for working through some options for us.

Visit was for: Business
Travelling group: Colleagues
Amy095
Michigan
“The B&B was good but the food was not what I expected”
Reviewed 27 October 2009 for a stay in August 2007

My daughter and I stayed at the Henry Derby B&B. It was real nice. We liked the charm of the place. It was messy with all the ebay stuff but otherwise quaint. What got me was the food. I wanted a week of not cooking and hot meals. Just some eggs or pancakes, maybe some french toast, something I don't have time to make in my hectic life but all we got was cold cereal. We were there a week and a half and got cold cereal. I wasn't looking for anything exotic just something cooked. Other wise it was okay.

Travelling group: Family with Teenagers
Your age range 35-49
Management Response
29 Oct 2009
Thank you for commenting on the niceness of the bed and breakfast!
I am not sure when you stayed at the bed and breakfast but we no longer have ebay items cluttering the bed and breakfast.
We removed the inventory two years ago because we felt the same way. Although many women enjoyed shopping while they were vacationing, we wanted an uncluttered feel to the b&b.
In regards to the breakfast I have never served only cold cereal from the day I opened my doors until today. I serve two types of cereal, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, bananas, and cantaloupe for the first course. Then I offer toasted english muffins, bagels, raisin pecan toast, cranberry pecan toast, corn bread and cinnamon swirl toast for the second "course". I also offer raspberry danish, cheese filled crumb cake, cheese danish, apple strudel and cinnamon rolls.
I am so sorry that you didn't enjoy your complimentary expanded continental breakfast. In the future you might want to read the website of the bed and breakfast that you are traveling to. I do have listed what I offer on my website so there will not be any surprises! Happy Traveling, Peg
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$ 500
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing