“July Heat Wave!”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

KJill17
Millersville, Pennsylvania
“July Heat Wave!”
Reviewed 30 August 2013 for a stay in July 2013

I visited the Henry Derby House in July at the time of a heat wave! My sister and I were in the area for a tour of Salem. I found the Inn-keeper Jocelyn very friendly, and helpful. The atmosphere to be relaxed and you felt at home. The home is decorated a lovely Yellow and has a charming garden sitting area out back. We stayed in a small interesting room that was the kitchen of the servants at one time in history. The room was a lovely red and nicely decorated and very comfortable bed. The Inn-keepers were helpful with area attractions, directions and suggestions for spending our time in the area. In the evening they had little treats set out and breakfast was full with many selections. It was fun to eat breakfast and talk with other visitors and the Inn-Keepers. Air conditioner was great in the room and although the bathroom was very small it was very clean. It was a splurge, but cheeper for the area and for the experience was worth spending the extra money! I'd go back again if I were in the area! I enjoyed my time at the Henry Derby House. Kim Smith , Lancaster PA

Travelling group: Friends
Ron I
Hudson, New Hampshire, United States
“I'm A Believer!”
Reviewed 27 August 2013 for a stay in July 2013

My wife, Marge and I spent an AWESOME two days and one night a the Henry Derby House! Jocelyn and Phillip are wonderful inn-keepers. They made my wife and I feel like old friends when we first met. I hated to leave our new friends so soon. It was my first experience at a B&B and I am sure it won't be the last after a Fantastic stay. Beds were VERY Comfortable and the breakfast on the patio in the garden was phenomenal.

Thank you SO Much!

Ron & Marge

briannemc...
“this place is a perfect little bed & breakfast”
Reviewed 11 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013
people found this review helpful

I would ignore that review that said it was a "total ripoff". In my opinion, it was perfect for my husband and I, especially since we were looking for something quaint and historical. It is a very old house and it was right up our alley. The woman who ran it Jocelyn was such a sweet heart and so was her fiance Philip. The other staff were so nice as well. It's the perfect place if you're looking for a small family feel and not any crazy fancy amenities. I just adored waking up early in the morning and coming downstairs to the sitting room with my coffee (which the keurig wasn't broken at all!) & my crocheting and starting off my day. They will accommodate pretty much anything you desire... we even had to leave a day early and got our $ back easily and the house maid even made us a little breakfast to go.
I highly recommend the Henry Derby house to anyone who can be pleased easily and isn't a huge crabby complainer!!!!

15 Aug 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I hope you enjoyed your next stop in Plymouth and the rest of your impromptu Honeymoon :) Hopefully we will have you again at our breakfast table someday, and we'd love to meet your sweet father-in-law and your little one too!

Warmly,
Jocelyn & Philip
Charles B
North Kingstown, Rhode Island, United States
“Total rip off.”
Reviewed 9 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013
people found this review helpful

The bedroom was Musty. Air Conditioner was loud. No soap in the bathroom, shampoo bottle empty. Coffee machine was broken, breakfast was sparse. Price was expensive. Paint and furniture was cheap. The owner played it like it is a 1800's house, which it might be, but what a sham. Bedroom was small. A total rip off and disaster of an establishment. Now I know that their are deceptive people in the world who are trying to get something for nothing. I was highly disappointed in the whole experience. Please do not bother wasting a lot of money on a poorly run establishment, the Derby House.

11 Aug 2013
We at the Henry Derby House are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We try our hardest to accommodate all of our guests and make them feel at home as much as possible.

My fiancé Jocelyn and I did everything we could to try and make these guests happy but it seems that was an impossible task. It is true that our house is old, it was built in 1835. We do not have central air so there are air conditioners in all of our rooms. The air conditioners do make noise but are not noisier than your average AC. The Mauve room that they stayed in is located in the front of the house, and sometimes traffic on our street can be busy as we are located right in downtown Salem. We did apologize that they did not sleep well and gave them a 15% discount on the room because of the noise.

We do provide body soap and hand soap in all of our bathrooms, they were full at the time of check in. We do not normally provide shampoo, though it is available upon request. The Keurig coffee machine is not broken, the guest just could not figure out how to use it, so we brewed him a fresh pot of coffee. Our expanded continental breakfast was available at 9am as usual, consisting of fresh breads, muffins, pastries, fruit, yogurt, granola, juices, cereal, and gluten or dairy free items are also available upon request.

The gentleman in this party came down for breakfast late at around 10:30 after we had already packed up most of the food and put it away. We did, however, offer all of the items when he came down, though he chose only to have some yogurt and coffee. He did voice all of his displeasures about the AC, the furniture, the paint on the walls, and everything else he could think of to complain about. I tried to explain that it was an old house and we try to update it as much as possible but also try to keep the charm of an older house and he seemed understanding at the time. We did end up having a nice conversation for about an hour afterwards.

His girlfriend stayed in bed until well past our check out time of 11am and didn't come down until after noon. She requested us to serve breakfast again, and although we normally only serve one breakfast at 9am we did accommodate her and offered her the full menu of options.

After check out they came back a few hours later to retrieve a phone charger they had left behind.
It turns out they had also used the room adjacent to theirs that was not occupied, even though they had not reserved it or paid for it. I said that was no problem and retrieved the charger then sat for a while longer and chatted. I suggested a restaurant to go to, gave them directions, and told them good places to park. I thought that although their stay may have started out badly because of the noisy AC, that hopefully I had smoothed things over and they would enjoy the rest of their day.

Although we gave them a discount, served them breakfast twice, didn't charge them for use of the second room, and tried everything in our power to make them happy, it turns out you just can't please everyone.

We will certainly try our hardest to do so though! :)

Philip Marchand and Jocelyn Croke
Owners,
Henry Derby House
Kmbschnei...
Providence, Rhode Island
“A lovely stay with a fantastic hostess”
Reviewed 1 August 2013 for a stay in July 2013

We spent our 4th of July weekend with the Henry Derby House and enjoyed our time with them very much. What made the experience even more enjoyable was our gracious hostess and the staff. Sitting for breakfast was like sitting down with family, discussing the plans for the day, the events of the previous days adventures and the history of the B&B. A true B&B experience.

15 Aug 2013
We are so pleased to know you felt right at home during your stay with us~ it is truly our hope to make all of our guests feel so comfortable! We had a wonderful holiday week hosting such warm and friendly people in our house, and it was our pleasure to have you :) We hope to see you again!

Warmly,
Jocelyn & Philip
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$ 500
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing