“Chinese Food that is close by”
Review of Hong Kong King

Hong Kong King
Ranked #131 of 230 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 8 May 2016

Their food is pretty good. Setting isn't that great. Staff are not really very friendly. Last time i got take out, the guy didn't even say thank you. He seemed miffed when I asked for an extra hot mustard.

1  Thank Brendalee B

Reviewed 15 March 2015

I'm surprised to see the barrage of negative reviews. I'm a chinese food snob and no -- it's not fantastic. But Hong Kong King is our go-to for cheap and decent food, and it has been for ten years. Don't go out of your way to go here, but don't go out of your way to avoid it either!
Tip: call ahead so you don't have to wait there long. It's true the atmosphere is dreadful.
Tip: you have to ask for hot mustard in take-out.
Tip: the kung pao chicken/shrimp is a good lunch special.
Also good: beef/broccoli, old school egg rolls.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I feel compelled to warn other potential customers that this restaurant is terrible!
The woman behind the counter was mean to the cook, yelling at her in front of me when she got my order wrong. I am a vegetarian and ordered a vegetable dish, but when it came, it had chicken in it. However, rather than cooking the meal I'd actually asked for, they just waited 5 minutes (to trick me, I suppose) to bring out the same exact (now cold) plate with the chicken only partly picked out. To make things worse, they charged me for the chicken dish rather than the cheaper one that I had actually asked for. I also felt nauseous after eating here, which seems to be a recurring theme going by some of the other posts.
It's hard to believe that the place hasn't been put out of business, but with the way it's being run, it's surely a matter of time.
If you're desperate for food and it's your only option, don't put yourself through it, just go hungry.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

To start, the food was DISCUSTING! The sweet and sour chicken made my brother throw up which was definitely not worth the bad service... This food is not worth the money you spend per meal either. The woman behind the counter was rude, disrespectful, and impatient. She would not answer any questions we had about what a certain food was and when she got annoyed, she walked away and started texting. The woman also did not seem to be very fluent in English and did not seem to listen to us and treat us well! If I had anything positive to say I would but this restaurant is definitely worth a one star rating! I would NOT recommend this restaurant to ANYONE!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was THE worst experience of our entire trip. The food was not terrific by any stretch but we have never experienced more ignorant, rude and disrespectful service. The young woman behind the counter and her treatment of customers is enough to run this establishment out of business. The food, which made my son throw up, was definitely not worth the abuse. Wish I had something kinder to say but this was a horrific experience.

1  Thank C F

Been to Hong Kong King? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK