“Wonderful Thai Food”

Karuna's Thai Plate
Ranked #598 of 2,014 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 23 February 2017

This place has really tasty Thai food. It is a place to visit with friends looking for great food but a very casual atmosphere. We had Pad Thai, Pad Kee Mao, Curry and a rice, beef and basil dish. All were very tasty. Good peanut sauce too!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Karuna's Thai Plate

Reviewed 13 December 2016

I have been coming here at least once a week since I moved to Tucson in 2005 - As with any restaurant prices have gone up slightly over the years though it is still reasonably priced and the food has remained consistently excellent - The restaurant was recently remodeled with new ceramic tile, paint, and light fixtures - The main attraction here for me is the food and the staff - It is located just down the street from the University of Arizona and it is very common to hear guests speaking about classes, jobs and students while they dine

Reviewed 13 October 2016 via mobile

Well I will start with the positive - the food was amazing. Good selection and many vegetarian options. We had the Massaman and Phat Thai. Delicious.

My issue is with all the rest of the experience. The restaurant was dirty. We ate late, but it was evident that they had not cleaned up much throughout the day. We picked the least dirty table and were brought menus and water.

After sitting and waiting quite a long time we went up to the kitchen counter to order as did another table. (I don't know if that is how Karuna normally receives the food orders-no instruction was given) the food was delivered to our table fairly quickly and it was great.

I will also say that the staff was very nice and friendly. They seemed kind of oblivious to the mess and long waits for service.

Reviewed 6 August 2016 via mobile

My husband and I tried this restaurant tonight for the first time. It got good reviews and we weren't put off my the tacky decor, because in our experience that can mean the food will be really good.
We ordered an appetizer, beef on a stick, which was very rubbery texture. Then I got my entree, pad Thai. It had an off taste and was terribly salty, really underwhelming. I poured on leftover sweet chili sauce from our appetizer to give it a flavor other than salt.
My husband's entree arrived s good 15 minutes after mine, and we made it clear when we ordered we were not 'sharing' so that was pretty annoying . I are my meal while my husband sat and waited for his, then I sat and watched him eat.
That's pretty basic failure of good service. Lastly, I ran out of water and a refill was never offered. Server never checked back to ask how our meals were. I left feeling like they just don't care to provide good service and the food does NOT make up for it. Is there such a thing as good Thai food in Tucson???

Reviewed 4 April 2016

As you will read in other reviews, your best bet is to order take-out, as there is only a single server and cook for the very tiny restaurant. But even take-out requires more than an hour wait. We ordered at 7:20 Sunday evening, arrived at the restaurant at 8:20 and still had to wait a half an hour. Many people were in line waiting with boxes of take-out piled high waiting to be claimed.

Although we ended up eating dinner much later than planned, the food was quite delicious for thos of us that could handle the spice. Be sure you really can handle incendiary levels of hot peppers if you order your food hot. Even the medium was too hot for some members of our group. The Karuna's Fried Rice (ordered mild) was a hit with everyone.

Overall, I would suggest you order about 2 hours before you want to eat and be sure everyone in your party is aware of the superior spice levels before choosing hot, medium, or mild spice.